Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Bengals offense continues to struggle / Reiff hurt
(08-04-2021, 01:51 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I totally agree with this, plus Carman is making a position switch, so Im expecting a transition period before we really see what he can do. But his body type and skill set do look tailor made for G and I can see him becoming a good one for us for years to come. 

Fixed it for yah lol

There is definitely going to be a big transition. Moving from the left side of the OL to the right side, moving from Tackle to Guard,
being a rookie playing against experienced vets on the DL etc.

But like you said, Carman has the body type and skill set made for Guard. Takes away the speed rushers on the edge that gave 
him some trouble in college. Once he gets his hands on the Defender it is over which is why as the year goes on I expect Jackson 
and Jonah to be our best run blockers on the OL.
Reply/Quote
Taylor said today, up until now offense had been install versus outcome based play calling. Essentially there is no checking out of bad plays it is run the play being installed. Going forward Burrow will get the power back which should allow the offense to get back rolling. Going forward we should get a better feel for what the offense is.
Reply/Quote
The narrative on ZT went from resurrecting Dalton and Ross to hampering a can't miss QB in Burrow. Man oh man how things change.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Reiff went through this mornings walk thrus and is expected to practice today.

Zac said they are beginning to see flashes from Jackson, so hopefully that means he is beginning to figure things out at guard

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 02:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: Taylor said today, up until now offense had been install versus outcome based play calling. Essentially there is no checking out of bad plays it is run the play being installed. Going forward Burrow will get the power back which should allow the offense to get back rolling. Going forward we should get a better feel for what the offense is.

This. We will see later on how good the Offense is when the Defense doesn't know what is coming for the most part.

When we can start shaking it up with the run game and playing to what the Defense gives us we will know more.

(08-04-2021, 02:51 PM)pally Wrote: Reiff went through this mornings walk thrus and is expected to practice today.

Zac said they are beginning to see flashes from Jackson, so hopefully that means he is beginning to figure things out at guard

Great news on both fronts, thanks Pally and thanks for all the updates you are great at keeping up on them. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get irritated when anyone misspells a player's name. Just seems like disrespect to me (intentional or not).

LOL!   Especially when Burrow is called "Burrows" 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 03:29 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: LOL!   Especially when Burrow is called "Burrows" 

Wheelburrow.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And for every game they scored 30+ points, they had a game where they scored <14 points. That averages out to be the 24th scoring offense even if you only look at the games where Burrow played. That's bad. It's 8 ranks away from even being the worst above average offense. Nobody boasts about being 24th out of 32.

In the Philly game they scored 23 points in 5 quarters. 23 points would, again, rank 24th in scoring. Right dead on where the Bengals offense was with Burrow.

Ok, but Burrow was a rookie last year so the first couple it would be expected that he would hit a rough spots. Anyway we can just agree to  disagree.
Reply/Quote
"I think he's a little iffy on his knee, but it's hard to tell. I think he's ready to go, but he doesn't want to do too much." 
- Tyler Boyd

"Zac Taylor said Joe Burrow wants the reps during training camp. However: "He's not the head coach so he doesn't get to make that decision." - Ben Baby
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 04:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: "I think he's a little iffy on his knee, but it's hard to tell. I think he's ready to go, but he doesn't want to do too much." 
- Tyler Boyd

"Zac Taylor said Joe Burrow wants the reps during training camp. However: "He's not the head coach so he doesn't get to make that decision." - Ben Baby

Burrow has shown a disdain for sitting on benches in Ohio. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 02:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: Taylor said today, up until now offense had been install versus outcome based play calling. Essentially there is no checking out of bad plays it is run the play being installed. Going forward Burrow will get the power back which should allow the offense to get back rolling. Going forward we should get a better feel for what the offense is.

Yea right now they have a list of of plays and are just running down that list. What the defense is doing isn't important during this process. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 02:51 PM)pally Wrote: Reiff went through this mornings walk thrus and is expected to practice today.

That's good news. Can't afford to lose Reiff.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 04:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's good news. Can't afford to lose Reiff.

Just wish we had Done a little more to sure up the depth chart.  But hopefully that wont be an issue.
Reply/Quote
Let's remember that we went VERY "line heavy" in this draft (FINALLY!)...

With 10 picks we took three OL and 4 DL to go with WR, K and RB. So on the good side we restocked the cupboards for both lines. On the other side draft picks are rookies so we need time for all the new kids to develop. But to be honest we NEEDED to do this type of draft for years - and I would not be opposed to us doing it again as in concentrating on one or two position groups and just totally reloading them.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 05:04 PM)Joelist Wrote: Let's remember that we went VERY "line heavy" in this draft (FINALLY!)...

With 10 picks we took three OL and 4 DL to go with WR, K and RB. So on the good side we restocked the cupboards for both lines. On the other side draft picks are rookies so we need time for all the new kids to develop. But to be honest we NEEDED to do this type of draft for years - and I would not be opposed to us doing it again as in concentrating on one or two position groups and just totally reloading them.

Honestly, I would go line heavy in the draft as a general rule the majority of the time (say 2 out of 3 year) unless there is a can't miss prospect.   While they won't fix everything, a good offensive and defensive line can help keep the team competitive vs. having all skill players with no lines. 

Sorta like building a house.   if you don't have a good foundation, it's not going to last or stand up under pressure.   Provide a solid foundation, and it can last for years.
Reply/Quote
Just heard Burrow is being held out of practice now...
Reply/Quote
Joe’s obviously a bit shaky, to be expected after an injury like that. I’m expecting it’s going to take a few games back in and him getting hit a few times to get his confidence back. He’ll be fine.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 05:21 PM)Tony Wrote: Just heard Burrow is being held out of practice now...

I'm sure he will be fine eventually, but we did lay it on a little thick that he would never show any hesitancy post injury and that he's immune to any of the psychological pitfalls of the position. 

The guy is a human being and if he is being hesitant and frustrated and needs a mental health day it's possibly the splash of cold water we needed before the season starts.

Again, nothing matters until week 1 but if he's sitting out of the preseason he's going to need to start notching some encouraging training camp days.  

I just wish I had more faith in ZT's ability to help Burrow and put him in the best situation.  
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 05:29 PM)wanga Wrote: Joe’s obviously a bit shaky, to be expected after an injury like that. I’m expecting it’s going to take a few games back in and him getting hit a few times to get his confidence back. He’ll be fine.

We had a whole thread where we overwhelmingly agreed Burrow wasnt the type of guy to get shaky or have any confidence issues post injury.  I wouldn't say we expected this. But it's best to work this stuff out as early as possible. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 03:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Ok, but Burrow was a rookie last year so the first couple it would be expected that he would hit a rough spots. Anyway we can just agree to  disagree.

You can say that the offense wasn’t very good while still acknowledging Burrow was a rookie and had growing pains. It isn’t an indictment on him.

There is no metric that will lead you to the conclusion that the offense was good last year. Not under Burrow or anyone else. They were one dimensional with a porous offensive line and inexperienced coaching.
Reply/Quote