Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Bengals offense continues to struggle / Reiff hurt
(08-03-2021, 09:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Patrick Mahomes threw 3 picks in practice yesterday. Calm. Down.

Comparing to Super Bowl winning QBs  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:48 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wasn't that because Cody Core and Alex Erickson were playing? You shouldn't expect the same from a Boyd/Ross/Erickson/Core (2018) or AJ/LaFell/Erickson/Malone (2017) WR group as a Chase/Higgins/Boyd group.

They really weren't, honestly. Even if you only count the first half of the Washington game rather than the whole game, and divide the points by the 9.5 games Burrow played... that's 22.4 points per game, which would be the 24th scoring offense.
I will have to disagree with you. The offense was strong against Cleveland, Jax, Indy and the Titans. The D couldn't hold in 2 of those game. I forgot Philly
Reply/Quote
Maybe it's not that the O is weak, but rather that the Defense is out of the charts. That would be nice for a change for this team. And having a strong D could keep opposing team's scoring low, enough for our O to get the win. aye?
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:39 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Maybe it's not that the O is weak, but rather that the Defense is out of the charts. That would be nice for a change for this team. And having a strong D could keep opposing team's scoring low, enough for our D to get the win. aye?

Maybe the O is top 5 and the D is #1. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:31 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: wait i thought we upgraded to OL and everything will be fine who are these backups?

Ur joking right
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 08:34 PM)Tony Wrote: Burrow having trouble getting back to form?
Riley Reiff hurt his hamstring too. This is great... uggh
https://youtu.be/L9saoKRZ6nk

Not surprised about Burrow. It'll take reps and practice to get back from that injury.

I believe I've posted before that the team should have kept Hart as a backup rather than expect Fred Johnson to be that guy.

Reply/Quote
Watch the highlights of even the caught balls we get from practice and look how good the coverage is even on the catches. I have seen a couple national guys on twitter who have stopped by practice say the defense looks really good. This could be some rust from Burrow, but the secondary got a massive upgrade in experience and demeanor that I think we are seeing the results early.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:24 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Comparing to Super Bowl winning QBs  Ninja

Mahomes threw more INTs last year than Burrow. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hey but good thing we drafted a wide receiver to go with our already two good wide receivers instead of an offensive lineman. Food for thought for the children in here.... ur franchise qb can’t get it to ur new shiny toy In chase if he don’t have any damn protection. FFS this board
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Mahomes threw more INTs last year than Burrow. Ninja

Also a hell of a lot more touchdowns too
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: Watch the highlights of even the caught balls we get from practice and look how good the coverage is even on the catches. I have seen a couple national guys on twitter who have stopped by practice say the defense looks really good. This could be some rust from Burrow, but the secondary got a massive upgrade in experience and demeanor that I think we are seeing the results early.

Yeah, it would be different if the WR's were playing against guys that have no experience or are nobodies. These guys, namely 
Hilton, Awuzie and Waynes have had good careers in the NFL. Eli Apple is extremely talented to boot being a early 1st round 
pick. Our Safeties are studs. Haven't heard how good the LB play is, maybe that is another good sign.

Also Hubbard has been playing lights out which is no surprise to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, it would be different if the WR's were playing against guys that have no experience or are nobodies. These guys, namely 
Hilton, Awuzie and Waynes have had good careers in the NFL. Eli Apple is extremely talented to boot being a early 1st round 
pick. Our Safeties are studs. Haven't heard how good the LB play is, maybe that is another good sign.

Also Hubbard has been playing lights out which is no surprise to me.

Ok, now I've officially gone from "if our offense isn't top 10 im going to be disappointed" to "if our defense isn't top 10 im going to be disappointed."
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:31 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: wait i thought we upgraded to OL and everything will be fine who are these backups?

On the bad day Jonah was the only for sure starter playing pretty sure. It was Jonah, Jordan, Price, Carman, D'Ante Smith.

Carman is probably the starter at RG come opening day but he is a rookie so it will take time. D'Ante got ate up by Hubbard.

No surprises here in my eyes with that lineup.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:18 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Hey but good thing we drafted a wide receiver to go with our already two good wide receivers instead of an offensive lineman.  Food for thought for the children in here.... ur franchise qb can’t get it to ur new shiny toy In chase if he don’t have any damn protection.  FFS this board

You must be new here. Allow me to clue you on something you don't seem to realize:

NO ONE ON HERE HAS ANY CONTROL, WHATSOEVER, ON WHOM THE BENGALS DRAFT, SIGN, CUT, ETC.

Now, you can sit here and ***** and moan that those of us who recognize the above choose to root for the players we DO have on this team or you can just recognize there are some things in life you have no control over but you DO have control over how events in life will affect you. I wanted the Bengals to draft Sewell as well, but they didn't and I know that my bitching and moaning and making others miserable will do nothing to change that, so I've accepted that and I hope Chase and Carman and all the others do well. Maybe try it and you won't feel so miserable all the time.

Just a thought.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 09:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Patrick Mahomes threw 3 picks in practice yesterday. Calm. Down.

Thank you.  Although "The Clapp" stole this thread already with his comment about how he bet Sewell could have generated separation,  Hilarious, I am actually one that is encouraged by this news.  

To clarify, I am encouraged by the news that the defense has been described as "dominant", not that the offense is struggling or that anyone got hobbled.

Looking at this team as objectively as I can, I don't see any way this offense won't be a top 10 offense.  People will argue the line, but I will point to how the line performed down the stretch once XSF was back and Spain was at the opposite guard.  They didn't even have Jonah playing nor had they acquired Riley Reiff.  Carman will be a strong addition as well.  

Outside the understandable question mark on the offensive line, I have full optimism that this offense will be a really good unit.  The defense, though, is a whole other matter.  

An entirely new starting three at CB.  Inexperienced youth at LB.  New starting DT and DE.  Lots of young drafted players being counted on for contributions (Ossai, Sample, Shelvin).  Then there is Lou Anarumo.  

However, this year was also the opportunity to create a culture.  To create a new, young, aggressive attitude.  No grumpy vets like Dunlap (and although I can't include Geno in that group...he is just too nice a guy) and no vets living on a past reputation (WJIII, Geno, Bynes).  It is a young, fast, aggressive group that fits what Anarumo wants to do.  His 5-2 hybrid that he seems to like so much just couldn't perform (so he didn't use it as often) with so many losses in the middle.  Now, they have a number of players that can rotate inside and still good talent with speed outside.  

The defense seems to have taken all this talk about the offense to heart and they have come out breathing fire.  They have leaders (Hubbard, Bates, Hilton) and they have chemistry.  Perhaps what is best out of all this is the offense will have to be VERY sharp to move the ball on them.  Iron sharpens iron.  Burrow and the boys won't tear a hold in the steeler defense (I mean, we lost Finley) without being very sharp and they simply don't get there pounding something as soft as a pillow.  Burrow is figuring out the holes again with new weapons and strong defensive play against them. 

This is a good thing, my friends.  Iron sharpen iron.  We have a young, aggressive defense with veteran leaders and youthful energy.  This is a good thing.  
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:19 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Also a hell of a lot more touchdowns too

Well, yeah, he did end up playing in more games than Burrow. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ok, now I've officially gone from "if our offense isn't top 10 im going to be disappointed" to "if our defense isn't top 10 im going to be disappointed."

Hope both are top 10, could happen. We are young on both sides of the ball but the trenches should be much better this year
on both sides. Which is where we were weak the last few years. Hard to coach up a team that is terrible in the trenches where 
it all starts. I believe our Offense will come around once we are mixing in the run game. 

Right now the Offense is at a disadvantage, the D knows its going to be a pass and the O is just going through the pass plays
in the playbook. The Defense is doing what it should be doing but this secondary sure seems for real. Passing league...
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ok, now I've officially gone from "if our offense isn't top 10 im going to be disappointed" to "if our defense isn't top 10 im going to be disappointed."

Bengals will be the first team in NFL history to go 17-0. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:18 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Hey but good thing we drafted a wide receiver to go with our already two good wide receivers instead of an offensive lineman.  Food for thought for the children in here.... ur franchise qb can’t get it to ur new shiny toy In chase if he don’t have any damn protection.  FFS this board

Take your victory lap now.  Sewell appears to have shaken some of the rookie issues at OTAs and is looking the part playing RT for the Lions. 

Chase, who also sat out last year, has impressed everyone with his speed, agility, and strength, but has missed on what appears to be three dropped bombs from Burrow.

On the first, Burrow overthrew him.  (I didn't think that was possible).

On the second, the ball was expertly batted away from Waynes, who was all over him.  

On the third, he beat Owuzie by several yards and the ball went right through his hands.  This led to a closed-door practice with Burrow and Chase after practice....getting a few more reps.

Clearly, the Lions got the better player and Chase is a bust at this point.  Be smug.  Take your victory lap.  Put down the Bengals again, like you do at every single opportunity.

It will not last.  
Reply/Quote

Can you imagine if they both were top 10 units and started to play with some synergy?  The offense gets more possessions.  The defense gives better field position.  The offense keeps the defense off the field more.  

Bengals could contend.  
Reply/Quote