Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Bengals offense continues to struggle / Reiff hurt
DeCastro and Easton,veteran Tackles,are still available as far as I know.Plus 2 or 3 others that are starting caliber Tackles.I would be giving them a call if I were the Bengals.Need more(Quality) depth at Tackle.I know it’s still early,and no need to panic,(yet),but the bottom line is,we still need to bring a good veteran Tackle who can also play Guard.
Reply/Quote
No need to panic

Just slide Sewell to RT. This is one of the reasons why we drafted him. Depth.
Reply/Quote
I’m pleased with the news of defense making offense struggle honestly. For the last few years it’s been stories of how the ball never hit the ground regardless of Dalton or Burrow at the helm. I’m happy to be hearing something different from years past. Hoping it’s a sign of change on the horizon.
Reply/Quote
The 1st thing that raises a red flag to me is the WRs
Inability to seperate downfield.
This has been a issue since ZT has arrived.
Didnt anybody happen to catch the fine print that AJ Green
Is looking like a playmaker in Arizona?
AJ couldnt seperate last year but all of a sudden he is looking like
A reborn AJ Green.
Whata the big difference.? Zac Taylor.

In Kansas City Andy Reid is constantly tinkering and evolving the playbook. He knows as a OC he has to stay 3 steps ahead
Of the defenses.
Zac Taylor is a total jughead when it comes to X and Os
He is still trying to force feed that McVay offense that
Was good 3 years ago. Guess what..the league caught
Up to it.
Heck even Sean McVay is trying to refine it and improve

But Zac Taylor is so ridgid and full of his own self gloss
Genius he cant be told. "Hey bozo back to the drawing board
It's not working!"

The Bengals secondary is shutting down the Bengals WRs cause
They know the routes as well as the targets.
The Bengals don't have any true lockdown CBs.
But they sure as heck know what Chase the boys are doing
At the snap.

Maybe by.week 1 at 445 pm ZT will have proved me wrong
And this offense will look really good putting up plus 28
But 32 games in.I have not seen in any way shape or form
ZT knows how to out scheme the DC across the field.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 11:21 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The 1st thing that raises a red flag to me is the WRs
A reborn AJ Green.

In Kansas City Andy Reid is constantly tinkering and evolving the playbook. He knows as a OC he has to stay 3 steps ahead
Of the defenses.
He  is still trying to force feed that McVay offense that
Up to it.

It's not working!"

At the snap.

Maybe by.week 1 at 445 pm ZT will  have proved me wrong

NO BLOCKING does not give time for WR's to get open, the QB clobbered as soon as the ball is snapped. It also makes Mixon and all running backs look lousy.  You can have the best QB, RB and WR's that ever played the game, and you will lose if you have the worst O Line that ever played the game.  Without Blocking, every play gets Blown Up.  

So it is unfair to blame Palmer, Dalton, Burrow, or Running Backs or Receivers as Bengal Fans often do.  The fault lies with No Blocking and an Owner who always says, " Why should I pay a Guard ".   

The Chiefs have Blockers.  Give Zac Taylor The Chiefs Blockers and Taylor would Win and Reid would Lose with Bengals Blockers. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 11:43 PM)kevin Wrote: NO BLOCKING does not give time for WR's to get open, the QB clobbered as soon as the ball is snapped. It also makes Mixon and all running backs look lousy.  You can have the best QB, RB and WR's that ever played the game, and you will lose if you have the worst O Line that ever played the game.  Without Blocking, every play gets Blown Up.  

So it is unfair to blame Palmer, Dalton, Burrow, or Running Backs or Receivers as Bengal Fans often do.  The fault lies with No Blocking and an Owner who always says, " Why should I pay a Guard ".   

The Chiefs have Blockers.  Give Zac Taylor The Chiefs Blockers and Taylor would Win and Reid would Lose with Bengals Blockers. 

Dude, stop it. Frank pollack along with Quentin Spain will turn this offensive line around.

Also, Burrow needs weapons badly. Boyd, Higgins, and Mixon are not enough for Joe Burrow. He needs as much help as he can get. Which is why the bengals made the right move drafting WR with their first pick
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 11:43 PM)kevin Wrote: NO BLOCKING does not give time for WR's to get open, the QB clobbered as soon as the ball is snapped. It also makes Mixon and all running backs look lousy.  You can have the best QB, RB and WR's that ever played the game, and you will lose if you have the worst O Line that ever played the game.  Without Blocking, every play gets Blown Up.  

I got a little secret  for ya Kevin....its not always the oline fault
If a QB isnt completing passes downfield
If WRs don't separate downfield, you can be rest assured
The pocket protection will have leakage eventually
Lou isnt even sending blitzers. It a  4 man rush. 
Joe is setting up. His 1st and 2nd reads have not separated
Maybe he is feeling some pressure up the middle.
Now he  is forced to move out of pocket to buy time
His 1st 3 reads are still blanketed.
Looks apparent to me ZT and BC have no idea how to
Scheme these targets to get seperation 
3 yrs in.
Stop being a apologist for Zac. He sucks as a playcaller
And a play designer. 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 11:51 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Also, Burrow needs weapons badly. Boyd, Higgins, and Mixon are not enough for Joe Burrow. He needs as much help as he can get. Which is why the bengals made the right move drafting WR with their first pick

Oy, we've got to turn things around quickly or it's only a matter of time before the talking heads and the naysayers start pointing out (fair or not) that the Bengals could have traded down with Miami and gotten 3 first round picks and Justin Herbert.  Gotta git dem weapons, and all that.  Then again, I thought we'd pass on Palmer and trade down and "be fine" with Rex Grossman and more draft picks, so who knows.

Again, it's only training camp but hearing that Burrow isn't playing fearless football post-injury, our o-line can't hold up to a Lou Anarumo defense, and a ZT offense looks to be underachieving yet again all falls under "stuff we don't want to see at any given time of the year no matter how unimportant that time of the year is."  

I didn't watch the video yet, but if Burrow looks hesitant that's a bit concerning. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:12 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Oy, we've got to turn things around quickly or it's only a matter of time before the talking heads and the naysayers start pointing out (fair or not) that the Bengals could have traded down with Miami and gotten 3 first round picks and Justin Herbert.  Gotta git dem weapons, and all that.  Then again, I thought we'd pass on Palmer and trade down and "be fine" with Rex Grossman and more draft picks, so who knows.

Again, it's only training camp but hearing that Burrow isn't playing fearless football post-injury, our o-line can't hold up to a Lou Anarumo defense, and a ZT offense looks to be underachieving yet again all falls under "stuff we don't want to see at any given time of the year no matter how unimportant that time of the year is."  

I didn't watch the video yet, but if Burrow looks hesitant that's a bit concerning. 

Drafting Burrow was the right thing

Drafting a wr when we have o-line talent concerns, o-line depth concerns, and a LT who is injury prone, is what I still ultimately have a major problem with. Doesn’t make sense. First round OT was the smart and safe pick. Provides depth, flexibility, and helps the entire offense, especially Joe Burrow.

Chase only slightly makes sense if you actually believe that Boyd higgins and mixon aren’t good enough.

Or if one thinks having a semi-decent o-line is overrated, and it’s all about weapons.

To which I say, you are wrong. It’s not even a matter of opinion.

I pray to God everything works out.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 11:03 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: DeCastro and Easton,veteran Tackles,are still available as far as I know.Plus 2 or 3 others that are starting caliber Tackles.I would be giving them a call if I were the Bengals.Need more(Quality) depth at Tackle.I know it’s still early,and no need to panic,(yet),but the bottom line is,we still need to bring a good veteran Tackle who can also play Guard.

DeCastro might never play again due to injury. He isn't an answer in the short term.

As to the rest of the panic. It's training camp, when guys train and knock the dust off. Right now the defense is just on read and re-act mode while the offense is trying to get into rythem. So the defense should be dominating, if the offense looks bad near the end of the pre-season, then you start to be a little nervous. 

It's like baseball, you see pitchers getting killed early on as they work on new pitches and try things out and shake off the dust, then all the sudden, the season starts, they dial it up and dominate hitters.

The only thing anyone should want from training camp is for everyone to get reps and stay healthy. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Look it is one person's opinion but Tony Pike is very invested in the Bengals and just not a fly by nite guy on his comments.. so pretty simple the offense so far has not performed well across the board from QB to WR to Line but it is early in camp so I'm sure Burrow and WRs will do better, its the line that will be the focus of improvement as we head to opening day
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 11:21 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The 1st thing that raises a red flag to me is the WRs
A reborn AJ Green.

Of the defenses.
He  is still trying to force feed that McVay offense that
Up to it.

It's not working!"

At the snap.

Maybe by.week 1 at 445 pm ZT will  have proved me wrong
Huh? WRs were not getting separation long before Taylor got here.
Didn't Taylor tweak the playbook when Burrow was drafted, he added alot of what what LSU was doing to make Joe's transition smoother. The offense was playing pretty well before Joe got hurt. The defense couldn't stop anyone late in the game. If the new look defense is making it hard for the offense to get going, isn't that a good thing?
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:09 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Huh? WRs were not getting separation long before Taylor got here.
Didn't Taylor tweak the playbook when Burrow was drafted, he added alot of what what LSU was doing to make Joe's transition smoother. The offense was playing pretty well before Joe got hurt. The defense couldn't stop anyone late in the game. If the new look defense is making it hard for the offense to get going, isn't that a good thing?

Seeing the offense struggle is a bit of a concern if Burrow is going to sit all preseason, isn't it?  Maybe things pick up soon, but our hopes that Burrow wouldn't miss a beat post injury and he doesn't need preseason aren't looking good at the moment. 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 09:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rock On Agreed. Just saw he is fine. Our Defense has just been playing very good and we have backups on the OL.

Just need to add a few pieces to the OL and see Burrow start to feel comfortable after a terrible knee injury.

This is all understandable, but the biggest positive is undeniable. The Defense looks WAY better than last year thank God.

wait i thought we upgraded to OL and everything will be fine who are these backups?
Reply/Quote
Burrow has to break the habit of holding onto the ball for 3 plus seconds. It isn't realistic and if he's doing it in practice, he'll do it in a game and get clobbered.

I think the Offense needs to quit talking about how great they will be (3, thousand yard receivers etc), and put their heads down and get to work. Hoping to hear some win from the Offensive side today.

It's just preseason/training camp is a hard sell given the issues we've noticed and heard about during camp in previous years have carried over to the season (protection, run game, defense).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:09 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Huh? WRs were not getting separation long before Taylor got here.

Wasn't that because Cody Core and Alex Erickson were playing? You shouldn't expect the same from a Boyd/Ross/Erickson/Core (2018) or AJ/LaFell/Erickson/Malone (2017) WR group as a Chase/Higgins/Boyd group.

They really weren't, honestly. Even if you only count the first half of the Washington game rather than the whole game, and divide the points by the 9.5 games Burrow played... that's 22.4 points per game, which would be the 24th scoring offense.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 10:51 PM)kevin Wrote: We will see soon enough when Bengals play Super Bowl Tampa and Washington and Miami in Preseason.  I'm old enough to remember the 1972 Dolphins looked different in preseason with great blocking for a change. The Lombardi Packers could Block in preseason.  Munoz could Block in preseason.  In preseason, either the Bengals can Block or they can't.  If they can't Block in preseason, they won't Block in regular season. It actually is that simple.  Some of you might remember Bengals awful Blocking in 2009 preseason when Saints broke Palmers nose. In regular season Palmer got knocked out for the season, and Fitzgerald had to run for his life as soon as the ball was snapped, so we never got to see that Fitzgerald can throw the ball. Preseason will show if Bengals have Blocking in 2021 or Not.
This comment has so many errors I dont know where to start...
Reply/Quote
Fitzgerald? Lol

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 11:03 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: DeCastro and Easton,veteran Tackles,are still available as far as I know.Plus 2 or 3 others that are starting caliber Tackles.I would be giving them a call if I were the Bengals.Need more(Quality) depth at Tackle.I know it’s still early,and no need to panic,(yet),but the bottom line is,we still need to bring a good veteran Tackle who can also play Guard.

Decastro is a guard. He is also retiring due to injury. That’s why Pittsburgh released him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Seeing the offense struggle is a bit of a concern if Burrow is going to sit all preseason, isn't it?  Maybe things pick up soon, but our hopes that Burrow wouldn't miss a beat post injury and he doesn't need preseason aren't looking good at the moment. 

I agree with that.
Reply/Quote