Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Bengals offense continues to struggle / Reiff hurt
(08-04-2021, 12:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Can you imagine if they both were top 10 units and started to play with some synergy?  The offense gets more possessions.  The defense gives better field position.  The offense keeps the defense off the field more.  

Bengals could contend.  

Sure could if that happens. Nothing is impossible, it is actually what I expect barring injuries.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: Watch the highlights of even the caught balls we get from practice and look how good the coverage is even on the catches. I have seen a couple national guys on twitter who have stopped by practice say the defense looks really good. This could be some rust from Burrow, but the secondary got a massive upgrade in experience and demeanor that I think we are seeing the results early.

I have to chuckle when people are blaming the OL for the offense struggling when our DB's are draped on our WR's in 1 on 1 and 7 on 7 drills.  Our DB's are just flat out winning.  

As others have said, the D is usually ahead of the offense this time of camp.  On top of that, the D is a mostly veteran unit.  It has only 3 starters that are still on their rookie deal and no rookies with the 1's.  Yesterday, the O had 7 guys on their rookie deals, including 3 rookies.  

People get way too high and too low based on TC reports.  How many training camp All Pro's turn out to be nothing during the season?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:25 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: However, this year was also the opportunity to create a culture.  To create a new, young, aggressive attitude.  No grumpy vets like Dunlap (and although I can't include Geno in that group...he is just too nice a guy) and no vets living on a past reputation (WJIII, Geno, Bynes).  It is a young, fast, aggressive group that fits what Anarumo wants to do.  

He may have been playing on a past reputation, but in their press questioning a couple of days ago, Germaine Pratt and Logan Wilson were singing Josh Bynes praises because of how much they learned from him especially in preparation  Considering how much better they have looked this camp, maybe it was worth having him around for a season.

This was Dehner's comment about Burrow in his article this morning.  The concern about Joe's struggles are legit

"Joe Burrow. It’s just not good right now. Throws that felt like layups last year are dropping harmlessly away from receivers or easily broken up by multiple defenders. There might be a multitude of reasons for the struggles, but this has been ugly. At one point, pressure pushed into his face and Burrow lifted his leg into the air almost to avoid any accident with the close pocket. It makes you wonder if the knee is still in his head, but that’s strictly guesswork. The bottom line is there’s no way to say his play looks comfortable at this point and this isn’t at all what you have seen from Burrow even in the early camp moments of last season. "

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:15 PM)pally Wrote: He may have been playing on a past reputation, but in their press questioning a couple of days ago, Germaine Pratt and Logan Wilson were singing Josh Bynes praises because of how much they learned from him especially in preparation  Considering how much better they have looked this camp, maybe it was worth having him around for a season.

This was Dehner's comment about Burrow in his article this morning.  The concern about Joe's struggles are legit

"Joe Burrow. It’s just not good right now. Throws that felt like layups last year are dropping harmlessly away from receivers or easily broken up by multiple defenders. There might be a multitude of reasons for the struggles, but this has been ugly. At one point, pressure pushed into his face and Burrow lifted his leg into the air almost to avoid any accident with the close pocket. It makes you wonder if the knee is still in his head, but that’s strictly guesswork. The bottom line is there’s no way to say his play looks comfortable at this point and this isn’t at all what you have seen from Burrow even in the early camp moments of last season. "

Burrow may not feel comfortable until his OL consistently gives him a solid pocket to work with for 3+ seconds snap after snap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I can see the cope already from some of the posters here

“Burrow needs to get rid of the ball quicker”

“Don’t compare him to Mahomes”

Poor guy. The dude is obviously a stud, and from what I saw last year, has the potential to be the best bengals qb ever.

The bengals as an organization needs to be better
Reply/Quote
I think its clear the knee is still in his head. Besides reports like the one pally just posted, Burrow himself said he needs to take some hits and have some live game reps before he will feel truly normal again. He didnt say that for no reason. Yesterdays chosen starting OL didnt sound very good either. Not a good way to open the first day in pads.

Around the NFL, Rashawn Slater shines on his first day with pads on and dominated every DE he went up against including Joey Bosa. I hope we start hearing reports like this about Chase and Carmen soon. Burrow needs it.
https://theathletic.com/2747680/2021/08/02/chargers-training-camp-report-day-5-rashawn-slater-shines-in-1-on-1-pass-pro/
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: I have to chuckle when people are blaming the OL for the offense struggling when our DB's are draped on our WR's in 1 on 1 and 7 on 7 drills.  Our DB's are just flat out winning.  

As others have said, the D is usually ahead of the offense this time of camp.  On top of that, the D is a mostly veteran unit.  It has only 3 starters that are still on their rookie deal and no rookies with the 1's.  Yesterday, the O had 7 guys on their rookie deals, including 3 rookies.  

People get way too high and too low based on TC reports.  How many training camp All Pro's turn out to be nothing during the season?  

Good post.   Agreed.  A healthy Reader along with the massive overhaul should give no excuses not to be a night and day improvement on D.  As I said in another post, I'm honestly surprised we were able to even be in any close games w/ the sieve that was our D the last two seasons.  
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:26 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I think its clear the knee is still in his head. Besides reports like the one pally just posted, Burrow himself said he needs to take some hits and have some live game reps before he will feel truly normal again. He didnt say that for no reason. Yesterdays chosen starting OL didnt sound very good either. Not a good way to open the first day in pads.

Around the NFL, Rashawn Slater shines on his first day with pads on and dominated every DE he went up against including Joey Bosa. I hope we start hearing reports like this about Chase and Carmen soon. Burrow needs it.
https://theathletic.com/2747680/2021/08/02/chargers-training-camp-report-day-5-rashawn-slater-shines-in-1-on-1-pass-pro/

Not surprised about Slater looking great thus far, and I expect him to be a stud for many years if he stays healthy.  I went back and forth between he and Sewell in my personal draft rankings, and while Sewell has a little more upside, I felt - and still do - feel like he also has a lower floor.   I felt like Jamar Chase and Slater were two of the safest picks in the entire draft.  
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 11:12 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: No need to panic

Just slide Sewell to RT. This is one of the reasons why we drafted him. Depth.

Do you cry about everything? "My kitty came out calico but I wanted a orange one"
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Do you cry about everything? "My kitty came out calico but I wanted a orange one"

Must you always be the first person to respond and whine about me?

Rhetorical question. No need to answer
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Burrow may not feel comfortable until his OL consistently gives him a solid pocket to work with for 3+ seconds snap after snap.

Agree with you Ocho, the injury combined with backups starting on the OL in front of Burrow is a bad combination for him 
to get back into the swing of things. This and our Corners blanketing the Receivers also doesn't help but who can blame the 
D? Not like they should be taking it easy.

(08-04-2021, 01:26 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I think its clear the knee is still in his head. Besides reports like the one pally just posted, Burrow himself said he needs to take some hits and have some live game reps before he will feel truly normal again. He didnt say that for no reason. Yesterdays chosen starting OL didnt sound very good either. Not a good way to open the first day in pads.

Yes, it was a bad combination of lots of things. Expect noticeable improvement once the starters play more on the OL and Joe 
gets comfortable. BTW that is pretty wild with Slater playing that good this early against those DL vets. Might be the steal of the
Draft and he might end up being the best OT, better than Sewell. We will see how Carman improves.

Carman didn't have help with D'Ante Smith next to him and not Reiff. I like D'Ante but there is no way he comes in and just 
takes on Hubbard after the year Sam just had. Hubbard worked his ass off and just got paid, he will be a much better pass 
rusher this season guaranteed. Amazing work ethic, just the type of player you want on your team. Now we need to pay Bates.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:32 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Not surprised about Slater looking great thus far, and I expect him to be a stud for many years if he stays healthy.  I went back and forth between he and Sewell in my personal draft rankings, and while Sewell has a little more upside, I felt - and still do - feel like he also has a lower floor.   I felt like Jamar Chase and Slater were two of the safest picks in the entire draft.  

Slater is also much more versatile and can play all the positions. I sure wasn't against us Drafting him or Sewell at 5.

I like the way it played out and think Carman will end up being an excellent Guard for us and Chase could be one of the best WR's
in the NFL. He is having it rough right now but hey, happens to every rookie and happy our Secondary is playing with their hair on 
fire. Should be great competition leading up to the season, lots of back and forths.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:32 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Not surprised about Slater looking great thus far, and I expect him to be a stud for many years if he stays healthy.  I went back and forth between he and Sewell in my personal draft rankings, and while Sewell has a little more upside, I felt - and still do - feel like he also has a lower floor.   I felt like Jamar Chase and Slater were two of the safest picks in the entire draft.  

I totally agree with this and felt the same about Sewell, Chase and Slater by the time the draft rolled around. I'm happy we got Chase and Carmen. Although Carmen wasnt really on my radar heading into the draft, he looks legit and has a big upside as well. I hope he lives up to it and I think he will. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:15 PM)pally Wrote: He may have been playing on a past reputation, but in their press questioning a couple of days ago, Germaine Pratt and Logan Wilson were singing Josh Bynes praises because of how much they learned from him especially in preparation  Considering how much better they have looked this camp, maybe it was worth having him around for a season.

Loved Bynes for what he was:  A coach on the field, but he didn't have much in the way of speed any longer.  A savvy vet, though.  

Regarding Burrow's struggles:  I don't worry about that dude because he is as mentally tough as any athlete I have ever experienced.  Everyone I knew associated with that OSU team had REALLY strong feelings about the guy.  A broken hand ended his starting bid, and that forced the transfer to LSU.  

He had to learn a whole new system.  He had to win a team over.  He had two years to do it, and he did it.  

This is his second year in a new system for him and maybe the installs have not gone as well as planned.  Maybe his body needs a little rest from the relentless rehab he has been doing on top of preparing for the season.  I don't know, but I have 100% faith in the guy to overcome any obstacle because he has done it in the past.  
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:43 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I totally agree with this and felt the same about Sewell, Chase and Slater by the time the draft rolled around. I'm happy we got Chase and Carmen. Although Carmen wasnt really on my radar heading into the draft, he looks legit and has a big upside as well. I hope he lives up to it and I think he will. 

It is CAR MAN Bengaloo, as in he can pick up a Car Man...

Just have to say that as it gets on my nerves a bit when fans are STILL spelling his name wrong.

No Offense as you are one of my fave posters just wanted to clear that up.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with you Ocho, the injury combined with backups starting on the OL in front of Burrow is a bad combination for him 
to get back into the swing of things. This and our Corners blanketing the Receivers also doesn't help but who can blame the 
D? Not like they should be taking it easy.

Yes, it was a bad combination of lots of things. Expect noticeable improvement once the starters play more on the OL and Joe 
gets comfortable. BTW that is pretty wild with Slater playing that good this early against those DL vets. Might be the steal of the
Draft and he might end up being the best OT, better than Sewell. We will see how Carman improves.

Carman didn't have help with D'Ante Smith next to him and not Reiff. I like D'Ante but there is no way he comes in and just 
takes on Hubbard after the year Sam just had. Hubbard worked his ass off and just got paid, he will be a much better pass 
rusher this season guaranteed. Amazing work ethic, just the type of player you want on your team. Now we need to pay Bates.

I totally agree with this, plus Carmen is making a position switch, so Im expecting a transition period before we really see what he can do. But his body type and skill set do look tailor made for G and I can see him becoming a good one for us for years to come. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 12:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: Watch the highlights of even the caught balls we get from practice and look how good the coverage is even on the catches. I have seen a couple national guys on twitter who have stopped by practice say the defense looks really good. This could be some rust from Burrow, but the secondary got a massive upgrade in experience and demeanor that I think we are seeing the results early.

Exactly.    Hoping this is an iron sharpens iron case between the D and the O and that the defense is just ahead of the offense at this point. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is CAR MAN Bengaloo, as in he can pick up a Car Man...

Just have to say that as it gets on my nerves a bit when fans are STILL spelling his name wrong.

Lol Carman!! I keep forgetting that. I should just call him Jackson LOL
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:27 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I will have to disagree with you. The offense was strong against Cleveland, Jax, Indy and the Titans. The D couldn't hold in 2 of those game. I forgot Philly

And for every game they scored 30+ points, they had a game where they scored <14 points. That averages out to be the 24th scoring offense even if you only look at the games where Burrow played. That's bad. It's 8 ranks away from even being the worst above average offense. Nobody boasts about being 24th out of 32.

In the Philly game they scored 23 points in 5 quarters. 23 points would, again, rank 24th in scoring. Right dead on where the Bengals offense was with Burrow.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is CAR MAN Bengaloo, as in he can pick up a Car Man...

I get irritated when anyone misspells a player's name. Just seems like disrespect to me (intentional or not).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote