Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals offered Marvin Jones same amount as Detroit -(he left anyways)
From the Mothership Bengals.com
"When the Bengals went to bed Tuesday night after going step-for-step with the Lions in pursuit of wide receiver Marvin Jones, they were confident they could retain A.J. Green’s running mate. So they were a bit taken aback when Jones took what looked to be about the same money to go to a different system and a different quarterback in the other conference."

Chasing Glory huh?
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow. Well that would have been crazy to spend that.... Draft Treadwell.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:35 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: From the Mothership Bengals.com
"When the Bengals went to bed Tuesday night after going step-for-step with the Lions in pursuit of wide receiver Marvin Jones, they were confident they could retain A.J. Green’s running mate. So they were a bit taken aback when Jones took what looked to be about the same money to go to a different system and a different quarterback in the other conference."

Chasing Glory huh?

Marvin Jones said it was more so about maximizing his opportunity, not the money.

There? He's pretty much option 1A or 1B. Him and Tate will get the same amount of looks.

Here? He's the 3rd receiving target basically and we have two very good, young backs. Think he just wanted to be a main guy and he has a pretty good chance out there.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
It makes sense for him to want to chase glory. I give him full props.

I'm betting if he takes that deal, than Bengals re-sign Nelson and Pacman not Iloka.

Once he took the Detroit deal, Bengals scrambled.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
Chasing Glory in Detroit is a oxymoron tho

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:37 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Marvin Jones said it was more so about maximizing his opportunity, not the money.

There? He's pretty much option 1A or 1B. Him and Tate will get the same amount of looks.

Here? He's the 3rd receiving target basically and we have two very good, young backs. Think he just wanted to be a main guy and he has a pretty good chance out there.

I keep seeing that he was the "third option".  Jones had 13 more receptions and over 200 more yards than Eifert in 2015.  Eifert had a lot of touchdowns, but he only had 615 yards for the season.  He barely has over 1000 for his entire career to this point... I'm not trying to cut on him, but it's not like he puts up Gronk numbers to this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:40 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: It makes sense for him to want to chase glory. I give him full props.

I'm betting if he takes that deal, than Bengals re-sign Nelson and Pacman not Iloka.

Once he took the Detroit deal, Bengals scrambled.

It was obvious the Bengals gave some of Marvin's money to Iloka. All I read on Twitter this morning was the Bengals trying to get Marvin to sign. Once he decided to move on all I read was us finalizing a deal with Iloka.  We probably had a deal in place with George and once Marvin was gone, we matched other offers that George got on the market.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:44 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I keep seeing that he was the "third option".  Jones had 13 more receptions and over 200 more yards than Eifert in 2015.  Eifert had a lot of touchdowns, but he only had 615 yards for the season.  He barely has over 1000 for his entire career to this point... I'm not trying to cut on him, but it's not like he puts up Gronk numbers to this point.

Eifert also missed several games. And Jones didn't exactly set the world on fire here, had 2 solid seasons. Its a pretty safe bet that by the end of this year eifert's stats through his first 4 seasons will be better than marvin's were.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:44 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I keep seeing that he was the "third option".  Jones had 13 more receptions and over 200 more yards than Eifert in 2015.  Eifert had a lot of touchdowns, but he only had 615 yards for the season.  He barely has over 1000 for his entire career to this point... I'm not trying to cut on him, but it's not like he puts up Gronk numbers to this point.

Jones has 13 more receptions and played in 3 more games. And don't forget when he was taken out of games due to injury as well.

I agree, he's not putting up Gronk numbers. But he has only 13 less receptions and played in less than 3 games. And was pretty much a red zone weapon.

I can see your argument. However, he's also not the clear cut #2 here either. In Detroit? He could be the #1. At worst he's the #2. And there's no argument with that.

Reply/Quote

Third option means that he's Andy's third look mostly. He looks for AJ and Eifert before looking for Marvin. Now Marvin has a chance to be the guy that Stafford looks for immediately.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
While I agree that Marvin will get more looks in Detroit - simply because they pass more than any other team - I doubt the money was exactly the same.

The Bengals are known for offering less guaranteed money than most teams. Guaranteed money is why JJo chose the Texans. Hobs said the money was "similar" back then too, but some players really prefer more guaranteed.

Either way, I'm glad we didn't sign Marvin Jones for 8 million per. That's ridiculous.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
little does he know he is probably not their long term solution as WR1 either.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:35 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: From the Mothership Bengals.com

Chasing Glory huh?

Not sure about Glory, but he's got a chance to be a #1 WR in Detroit. In Cinci he'll always be the guy across from AJ Green.

Now, many people label Marvin Jones as the #3 or #4 receiving target. In fact, he was 2nd in both receptions and receiving yards in 2015. Eifert was 3rd and was used more in the red zone, for obvious reasons.

Gio was 4th in receptions and yards followed by Sanu, who was 5th.

Reply/Quote
Has a Hobson article ever said...

"We offered them a shitton less money, just outright lowballed them, and a lot less money guaranteed, but they didn't accept for some reason."?

Because until one does, every single time they're going to keep saying the offered same, or competitive amounts of money. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want Jones at 5yr/$40m($20m gt) but we've heard this song and dance before. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
this simply can't be factual. No way does the bengals pay 13 million this year for Jones.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:04 PM)Okeana Wrote: this simply can't be factual.  No way does the bengals pay 13 million this year for Jones.

Factual? You're actually expecting that from a Hobson article? Lol

We know they didn't offer to pay him $13m this year because they "only have $15m in free agency".

Tate: $1m?
TJ: $0.6m
Winston: $1.1m
Iloka: At least $6m.

= $8.7m at minimum (not counting Adam)

So that leaves no more than $6.3m for both Adam and Marvin to share in 2016.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
im happy with them signing iloka and adam jones back. thats a good start. I would like to see them get a WR, but i think its obvious they will draft one. Boldin would probably be a steal tho.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: While I agree that Marvin will get more looks in Detroit - simply because they pass more than any other team - I doubt the money was exactly the same.

The Bengals are known for offering less guaranteed money than most teams. Guaranteed money is why JJo chose the Texans. Hobs said the money was "similar" back then too, but some players really prefer more guaranteed.

Either way, I'm glad we didn't sign Marvin Jones for 8 million per. That's ridiculous.

That's exactly what I'm thinking as well.  I'm perfectly happy re-signing the veterans on defense on adding a rookie WR via the draft.
Reply/Quote
I guarantee you Bengals did not offer the same amount of money and in all honest I'm glad they didn't.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:35 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I guarantee you Bengals did not offer the same amount of money and in all honest I'm glad they didn't.

Could have been around the price range, but sounds like Detroit offered more guaranteed.

Reply/Quote