Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals planning to part ways with Cordy Glenn
(02-27-2020, 02:13 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Paul Dehner Jr. is also making it sound like the team is unlikely to bring in a vet backup QB.  So our QB room could be Burrow-Finley-Dolegala.

On one hand, it does give us that much more money to add other pieces elsewhere.  On the other hand, if Burrow went down for an extended period of time then the season's over.  No chance in hell Finley keeps us afloat.  Unless Dolegala beats him out for the backup spot?

This team isn't ready to win now nor do we need to. It wouldn't hurt to have another Top 10 Draft pick next year so there's no use in finding a competent backup this year. Maybe next year.  
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:27 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: This team isn't ready to win now nor do we need to. It wouldn't hurt to have another Top 10 Draft pick next year so there's no use in finding a competent backup this year. Maybe next year.  

That is exactly what everyone said before the 2011 season, but if our veteran back up QB (Gradkowski) had not won a game for us that year we would have missed the playoffs.

We also made the playoffs in 2010 after a 4 win season, and our 2 Super Bowl appearances came after seasons where we won 4 and 6 games.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: He's missed time in each of the last 4 years.  Hasn't played in all 16 games since 2015.

He’s played in 5 (rookie season),14, 16, 16, 15, 14, 13, 6. In the years when it mattered he was on the field. Missing games during lost seasons is whatever.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is exactly what everyone said before the 2011 season, but if our veteran back up QB (Gradkowski) had not won a game for us that year we would have missed the playoffs.

We also made the playoffs in 2010 after a 4 win season, and our 2 Super Bowl appearances came after seasons where we won 4 and 6 games.

I don't want to "just" go to the Playoffs. I want to win the Super Bowl. Let's just pretend Arangotang figures out how to cover the middle of the field and our Offensive Line finally shames Billy Price into admitting he's a trash OL and we somehow are competent in both those spots.  We're not going to do much and we're going to end up with the "____-teenth" draft pick and now we're back in "No-man's land" in the draft and that's why we end up drafting a cornerback 7 straight years in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is exactly what everyone said before the 2011 season, but if our veteran back up QB (Gradkowski) had not won a game for us that year we would have missed the playoffs.

While I agree with the sentiment, Gradkowski was awful in that game; if not for Cleveland's mental lapse (as usual), Gradkowski wouldn't have completed the easiest 40 yard TD of his LIFE.

And his stats were still awful even with that TD.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:22 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Yep, and has only played 16 games in 2 of his 8 seasons. 

Missing one or two games a season is not “injury prone.”

Gilmore has only played in all 16 games 3x in 8 seasons. I guarantee every team in the league would still be interested in his services if he was available.

Kirkpatrick does not miss games at an above average rate.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s played in 5 (rookie season),14, 16, 16, 15, 14, 13, 6. In the years when it mattered he was on the field. Missing games during lost seasons is whatever.

Only 2 of his 8 seasons "mattered"?  Hmm, good to know.

Also, the statement made, which you disagreed with, is that's injury prone. Do you honestly believe he can pick and choose when to get injured on whether or not the season matters? Like last year, he just got hurt because it was a lost year. Had it mattered he somehow would have avoided the same injury.  That's crazy talk.

I'll just repeat the same point as earlier: He's missed time in 4 straight seasons.

Whether they were successful or not, he's been injured in every one of those 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Missing one or two games a season is not “injury prone.”

How about 10 games?

You know, the amount he just missed in 2019?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Missing one or two games a season is not “injury prone.”

Gilmore has only played in all 16 games 3x in 8 seasons. I guarantee every team in the league would still be interested in his services if he was available.

Kirkpatrick does not miss games at an above average rate.

This is just nonsense. I'll let someone else argue with your dumb takes. I tap. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:39 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: I don't want to "just" go to the Playoffs. I want to win the Super Bowl. 

We went to a Super Bowl after a 4 win season.

If you want your team to be winners you have to try to win.  Trying to lose just turns your players into losers.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Matt Moore was with the Dolphins when Taylor was their OC.

I'd guess he would be the first option.

Matt Moore would be a fantastic signing as our backup. Salary, experience, fit all make perfecf sense to me.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:47 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How about 10 games?

You know, the amount he just missed in 2019?

Correct, he did miss 10 games last year.

But it doesn't make him injury-prone.

Hell, we discussed it at length the last 2 years; Eifert isn't even, "injury prone." His only nagging injury was the back, which sidelined him for 1 year; everything else was a freak accident, caused by something that happened on the field.

Someone who's injury prone is someone who keeps getting hurt on normal things and at different parts of the body; Tua Tagovailoa is injury prone, 100%, for example.

Dre was hurt extensively in 2012 and last year; every year in between, he's played more than 75% of the games that have been played.

He isn't Bob Sanders or Austin Collie.

EDIT* Sorry, I meant to say, "made of glass," not, "injury-prone."
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Only 2 of his 8 seasons "mattered"?  Hmm, good to know.

Also, the statement made, which you disagreed with, is that's injury prone. Do you honestly believe he can pick and choose when to get injured on whether or not the season matters? Like last year, he just got hurt because it was a lost year. Had it mattered he somehow would have avoided the same injury.  That's crazy talk.

I'll just repeat the same point as earlier: He's missed time in 4 straight seasons.

Whether they were successful or not, he's been injured in every one of those 4 years.

Crazy talk? Are you really this naive? Players don’t rush back in lost seasons. We literally just watched it with AJ.

Reply/Quote
Honest question. Is there a block poster function on this site?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Correct, he did miss 10 games last year.

But it doesn't make him injury-prone.

Hell, we discussed it at length the last 2 years; Eifert isn't even, "injury prone." His only nagging injury was the back, which sidelined him for 1 year; everything else was a freak accident, caused by something that happened on the field.

Someone who's injury prone is someone who keeps getting hurt on normal things and at different parts of the body; Tua Tagovailoa is injury prone, 100%, for example.

Dre was hurt extensively in 2012 and last year; every year in between, he's played more than 75% of the games that have been played.

He isn't Bob Sanders or Austin Collie.

EDIT* Sorry, I meant to say, "made of glass," not, "injury-prone."

Exactly. Injury prone is someone who’s constantly missing significant amount of time. That’s not Dre.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hell, we discussed it at length the last 2 years; Eifert isn't even, "injury prone." 

Eifert isn't injury prone?  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 02:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Eifert isn't injury prone?  Hilarious

Did you see my edit that I made BEFORE you decided to dismiss what I wrote?

Quote:8 minutes ago (This post was last modified: 7 minutes ago by Truck_1_0_1_.)

Of course you didn't.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 02:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Eifert isn't injury prone?  Hilarious

Holy hell!! You Guys are too much there’s no reason to debate here if you think Eifert n Dre are not injury prone.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 02:13 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Holy hell!! You Guys are too much there’s no reason to debate here if you think Eifert n Dre are not injury prone.

Obviously Eifert is, Dre I don’t think so. He’s been banged up here and there, but he’s hardly unreliable.

And I disagree there’d be “no interest” in him. Every single time our fans say that about one of our players they end up being wrong.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 12:27 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I hope I'm wrong, but I just think his contract is going to be really hard to move. I don't see teams giving up a pick & $9.4M in cap space when he might only be worth $5-7M if he's cut. There are younger & better free agents available for $9.4M/year. I wouldn't want keeping him too long for a 7th rounder to prevent them from signing someone else. 

You really think he will only get that on the open market for a starting LT?  He actually ranked fairly well when he played, and he proved he could play at year's end.  

IDK, it seems like offensive lines have just been so bad out there....even the best ones have significant holes.  
Reply/Quote