Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals planning to part ways with Cordy Glenn
(02-28-2020, 01:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everyone's always trying to get rid of Gio. I get that his contract is costly, but people have to remember, we are always just one play away from losing Mixon for the season. We HAVE to have a good backup running back. RB's 3 and 4 have not shown the ability to stay healthy.

I get it, but they did draft two RBs last year that should be back...I would rather see GIo become a greater part of the offense, but they seem reluctant to do that for whatever reason.  

When Marv was let go, I thought Gio would be the biggest beneficiary of the new offense.  Using your best receiving back as blitz pick up on third down is a waste.  I would like to see Gio and Mixon split time like Mostart and Braida (sp?) did and use BOTH as receivers and backs.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 04:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You really think he will only get that on the open market for a starting LT?  He actually ranked fairly well when he played, and he proved he could play at year's end.  

IDK, it seems like offensive lines have just been so bad out there....even the best ones have significant holes.  

Pretty sure he's talking about Dre.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 04:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get it, but they did draft two RBs last year that should be back...I would rather see GIo become a greater part of the offense, but they seem reluctant to do that for whatever reason.  

When Marv was let go, I thought Gio would be the biggest beneficiary of the new offense.  Using your best receiving back as blitz pick up on third down is a waste.  I would like to see Gio and Mixon split time like Mostart and Braida (sp?) did and use BOTH as receivers and backs.  

imagine if he hadn't been picking up those blitz though
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 04:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You really think he will only get that on the open market for a starting LT?  He actually ranked fairly well when he played, and he proved he could play at year's end.  

IDK, it seems like offensive lines have just been so bad out there....even the best ones have significant holes.  
Sorry, was referring to Dre, probaby should have put that in my post.
Reply/Quote
Bernard got that big contract because Taylor saw Gurley wear down at the end of the '18 season and the Rams had to rely on C.J. Anderson in the playoffs. The '18 Rams actually ranked higher in rush attempts than pass plays.

I am sure we had plans to give Gio more carries in 2019, but our run game was putrid for most of the season and we were playing from behind most games. So we ended up 25th in the league in rush attempts. There were barely enough carries to keep Mixon happy.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 02:13 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Paul Dehner Jr. is also making it sound like the team is unlikely to bring in a vet backup QB.  So our QB room could be Burrow-Finley-Dolegala.

On one hand, it does give us that much more money to add other pieces elsewhere.  On the other hand, if Burrow went down for an extended period of time then the season's over.  No chance in hell Finley keeps us afloat.  Unless Dolegala beats him out for the backup spot?

Finley is a wasted roster spot. I would rather just go with Burrow/Dolelgalala and then just throw somebody on the PS in that scenario. Ideally, though, I would want a quality veteran to back up Burrow to help him like a McCown, Glennon, Moore, or Daniel. Seems a shame to not snag a good veteran mentor for Burrow when so many are available this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 06:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Finley is a wasted roster spot. I would rather just go with Burrow/Dolelgalala and then just throw somebody on the PS in that scenario. Ideally, though, I would want a quality veteran to back up Burrow to help him like a McCown, Glennon, Moore, or Daniel. Seems a shame to not snag a good veteran mentor for Burrow when so many are available this year.

I wonder if AJ McCarron is still in shape?  He's a veteran backup, with plenty of experience, and fits having that "Bengal connection".   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 03:32 PM)Stewy Wrote: You and others.  Please quit linking to that sewage plant that is PFT.  They deserve NONE of our clicks.  Please link the original article or don't post at all.

Linking to PFT is like continuing to employ and pay the pool guy when you know he's boffing you wife and daughter tag team.

And you don't even have a pool!
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 06:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wonder if AJ McCarron is still in shape?  He's a veteran backup, with plenty of experience, and fits having that "Bengal connection".   Ninja

[Image: dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me-gif-10.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 06:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wonder if AJ McCarron is still in shape?  He's a veteran backup, with plenty of experience, and fits having that "Bengal connection".   Ninja

This is really demeaning to the term VET
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 04:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: imagine if he hadn't been picking up those blitz though

Understood, but one of the biggest myths is you get less pressure on your QB when you keep in an extra blocker.  Stats show that there is generally less pressure when there is an empty backfield.  
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 06:00 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Sorry, was referring to Dre, probaby should have put that in my post.

I think Dre, as a long term starter, is worth a hell of a lot more than a 7th round pick as well.  His contract is far from top dollar in starting CBs.  I think everyone in our secondary suffered from the weakest pass rush in the NFL.  

You may be right, but I would rather keep him than have less depth and get next to nothing for him.  Not Glenn, though, kiss that MOFO goodbye.  
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 11:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Dre, as a long term starter, is worth a hell of a lot more than a 7th round pick as well.  His contract is far from top dollar in starting CBs.  I think everyone in our secondary suffered from the weakest pass rush in the NFL.  

You may be right, but I would rather keep him than have less depth and get next to nothing for him.  Not Glenn, though, kiss that MOFO goodbye.  

I think the problems on defense the last two years were layered.  You had poor schemes from the coaches combined with terrible linebacker play. That let QBs dump the ball off to an uncovered receiver in the middle of the field before the DL could get to him.  The schemes made the secondary look like garbage because you had corners who were better in press coverage playing 10 yards off the receiver.
Reply/Quote

He's on the Texans roster...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 11:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: 1.) I think Dre, as a long term starter, is worth a hell of a lot more than a 7th round pick as well. 

2.) His contract is far from top dollar in starting CBs. .  

1.) Think all you want, you're still dead wrong. He's worth absolutely nothing in trade.

2.) He has 16th highest salary among CB's. That's top 25% of starters (64).

Consider this, he's 3rd or 4th best CB on the worst team in the league. He's also turns 31 in the begining of the season, is aging out of the position, and is coming off a season where he missed 10 games. He's not even a top 50 corner when healthy.

Who on Earth would trade anything for this guy? A.) No one other than XFL team looking to unload a used printer and a kicking tee.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 09:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) Think all you want, you're still dead wrong. He's worth absolutely nothing in trade.

2.) He has 16th highest salary among CB's. That's top 25% of starters (64).
I think that you're flat wrong on that first statement.  As to the second statement, that was by last year's market prices.  I'm willing to bet that after this upcoming round of free agency, Dre's current salary will be lucky to still be in the top 30 in highest paid CBs.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 09:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that you're flat wrong on that first statement.  As to the second statement, that was by last year's market prices.  I'm willing to bet that after this upcoming round of free agency, Dre's current salary will be lucky to still be in the top 30 in highest paid CBs.

Let’s see who trades for him then. I’m pretty sure no one will . The value of cornerbacks keeps dropping because there’s no such thing as a shut down cornerback n Kansas City just won the super bowl with no name cornerbacks. Also The Cowboys are not tagging CB Jones even though he’s considered a top 5 cornerback. Doesn’t seem like CB is as important as it once was. I can’t be the only one tired of Dre getting ran over by running backs n seeing him a step behind a WR on long routes.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:54 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Matt Moore would be a fantastic signing as our backup. Salary, experience, fit all make perfecf sense to me.

Matt Moore is what? 63 now? Maybe it's just me, but it feels like he's been around since Virgil Carter.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 10:22 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Let’s see who trades for him then. I’m pretty sure no one will . The value of cornerbacks keeps dropping because there’s no such thing as a shut down cornerback n Kansas City just won the super bowl with no name cornerbacks. Also The Cowboys are not tagging CB Jones even though he’s considered a top 5 cornerback. Doesn’t seem like CB is as important as it once was. I can’t be the only one tired of Dre getting ran over by running backs n seeing him a step behind a WR on long routes.

Gilmore was probably the Patriots best player 2 years ago when they won the Super Bowl. CB is still as important as it’s ever been. After QB, Edge, and LT, CB is right up there.

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 10:22 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Let’s see who trades for him then.  I’m pretty sure no one will .  The value of cornerbacks keeps dropping because there’s no such thing as a shut down cornerback n Kansas City just won the super bowl with no name cornerbacks.   Also The Cowboys are not tagging CB Jones even though he’s considered a top 5 cornerback.   Doesn’t seem like CB is as important as it once was.   I can’t be the only one tired of Dre getting ran over by running backs n seeing him a step behind a WR on long routes.

Has the team ever even mentioned the possibility of moving Dre Kirkpatrick?  Honestly, I think that we're all just speculating on something we are "dreaming would happen", rather than something that has a distinct possibility of happening.  You say the league isn't paying Corners huge money these days, and that they aren't viewed as important as they were in previous years.  Along that same train of thought, RB and LB were in that category, and now all of a sudden, RBs and LBs are getting big dollar deals again.  I have a feeling that what is considered to be money worthy position groups in the NFL is a cyclical thing, dictated partly by the supply and demand of quality players in any given position group.

But not for the Bengals.  They view QB, CB, WR, DE, and LT as the "premium" positions, no matter what year it is, or what the given state of the talent pool is.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote