Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals planning to part ways with Cordy Glenn
(02-29-2020, 01:03 PM)Earendil Wrote: I think the problems on defense the last two years were layered.  You had poor schemes from the coaches combined with terrible linebacker play. That let QBs dump the ball off to an uncovered receiver in the middle of the field before the DL could get to him.  The schemes made the secondary look like garbage because you had corners who were better in press coverage playing 10 yards off the receiver.

The weak play of Preston Brown showed a lot of addition by subtraction, and Pratt looked better and better as the season wore on.  The CBs and safeties never seemed to be in position and never seemed to make plays on the ball.  The guy coming off the bench was their interception leader in INTs per game played by a mile.  I agree that a lack of pass rush is a huge part of the problem and some of that came from, as you said, easy checkdowns out of the backfield and to TEs.  A huge issue with Brown. 

I hope the Bengals don't get too comfortable with the defense from the slight surge at the end of the year...they were playing better, but not good defense.  And, they were doing it against a lot of teams with a lot of issues.  I hope they get a playmaker at 3-4 hybrid end or another presence on the other side to spell Dunlap.  They definitely need more pass rush.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 09:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) Think all you want, you're still dead wrong. He's worth absolutely nothing in trade.

2.) He has 16th highest salary among CB's. That's top 25% of starters (64).

Consider this, he's 3rd or 4th best CB on the worst team in the league. He's also turns 31 in the begining of the season, is aging out of the position, and is coming off a season where he missed 10 games. He's not even a top 50 corner when healthy.

Who on Earth would trade anything for this guy? A.) No one other than XFL team looking to unload a used printer and a kicking tee.

I guess we will see if I am wrong, and perhaps I should re-phrase "far from top dollar" since you used rankings to stack the players salaries.  He is paid roughly 65% what the average of the top 5 CBs in the league are paid.  Dalton is paid half in that comparison with other top 5 QBs.  He is viewed as a tremendous bargain at 50%.  I would think that if a team wanted Dre, it would have to be contingent on a re-structure of his deal...and extension and less per year.  

His age and health from last year is clearly a factor, but I think the fact that the Bengals have had next to no pass rush really hurts his performance, as it has WJIII.  
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 11:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Gilmore was probably the Patriots best player 2 years ago when they won the Super Bowl. CB is still as important as it’s ever been. After QB, Edge, and LT, CB is right up there.

This year the Chiefs just won the Super Bowl with no name cornerbacks. Without looking most of you can’t name them. QB n Offensive line matter most. Everything else gravy.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 07:23 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This year the Chiefs just won the Super Bowl with no name cornerbacks. Without looking most of you can’t name them. QB n Offensive line matter most. Everything else gravy.

No, but they had an All Pro Safety in the Honey Badger.

Agree, QB is the difference maker though.

Reply/Quote
There's way more to it than just QB, this team was trash last year, only Mahomes could have taken them to the playoffs in some magical untrustworthy fashion. Our defense needs massive help, it's not gonna be a Chiefs machine. Coming from an organization who doesn't know how to win a playoff game and has now shown propensity to not make the playoffs.

Name 5 other QBs in the league that could have taken us to the playoffs last year? Lol. You'd have to assume AJ would stop lying about his toenail injury and actually play, for us to stand a chance. THe first half of the year the offensive line was pure junk.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Don't plan it, damnit. Just do it!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote