Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron
(01-03-2019, 12:55 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: they were 3rd in offense in the NFL.

...but they've also been terrible at running the ball over his 3 years as OC, and despite the huge passing yards/TD's, they also led the league in INT's this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...but they've also been terrible at running the ball over his 3 years as OC, and despite the huge passing yards/TD's, they also led the league in INT's this year.

Name their HB's over the last 3 years, they are still searching for a back since Martin's rookie year. INT's are a function of the QB's Jameis Winston and Ryan Fitzpatrick are horrible decision makers at times. They will make beautiful throws then throw one right at a LB (See our game). 

He would be a solid hire, Fitzpatrick who has been around coaches all over the league is 100% in favor of the guy getting a HC job. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: I agree, I prefer Bieniemy hopefully he takes the job.

I've been kinda giddy through this whole process, but when I really think about it, McDaniels wasn't a good candidate, despite the big name. He was terrible in Denver, made bad personnel decisions (which we definitely don't need) and NE hires have a terrible track record (Crennel, Charlie Weis, Patricia, Mangini, etc) and he was also terrible as an OC in his brief stint with the Rams.

My preferred candidates are Taylor and Bieniemy. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: We requested an interview with Todd Monken Bucs OC, that is a solid interview. He is one of the names thrown around for a decent amount of jobs.

Monken also doesn't currently have a contract, so he could also possibly be being looked at for an OC role as well.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think McDaniels would have been a good fit here with his personality. Bengals need a fiery temperament HC. I cannot blame McDaniels for interviewing with the Packers. Bengals front office has a negative rep for a reason. I still think McDaniels is a capable coach even though things did not go well with the Broncos.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: He would be a solid hire, Fitzpatrick who has been around coaches all over the league is 100% in favor of the guy getting a HC job. 

From PFT:

Former Jets and current Buccaneers quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick endorsed Monken this week.

“I’m telling you: He’s got it,” Fitzpatrick said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “He’s got the ‘It factor’ as a head coach.”
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: We requested an interview with Todd Monken Bucs OC, that is a solid interview. He is one of the names thrown around for a decent amount of jobs.

This would make me feel a lot better if they requested an interview after actually interviewing Hue. My hope is they decided to keep searching and not settle....
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: Name their HB's over the last 3 years, they are still searching for a back since Martin's rookie year. INT's are a function of the QB's Jameis Winston and Ryan Fitzpatrick are horrible decision makers at times. They will make beautiful throws then throw one right at a LB (See our game). 

He would be a solid hire, Fitzpatrick who has been around coaches all over the league is 100% in favor of the guy getting a HC job. 

Of course you can't name many Bucs RB's. That usually happens when you're near the bottom in rushing for 3 years straight. Is that lack of talent or poor coaching, or a little of both? Usually good coaching can hide a lack of talent. For example (there are many), the Ravens have managed a good running game for the last several years with a pretty weak list of names.

Fitzpatrick and Winston are both INT prone, but how many times have they led the league in INT's? Coaching and scheme can minimize INT chances. 

I don't hate this guy as a candidate. Just providing info here. The Bucs offense wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. Otherwise, they wouldn't have finished 5-11.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 12:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why would they interview him then?

Just to get a wide spectrum. Leave no stone unturned. Or political reasons. Maybe someone inside wants it. Possibly Rogers. Who knows. Maybe for the same reasons we're (hopefully) giving Hue and Simmons interviews. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been kinda giddy through this whole process, but when I really think about it, McDaniels wasn't a good candidate, despite the big name. He was terrible in Denver, made bad personnel decisions (which we definitely don't need) and NE hires have a terrible track record (Crennel, Charlie Weis, Patricia, Mangini, etc) and he was also terrible as an OC in his brief stint with the Rams.

Those are probably my top 2, as of the moment. My problem with McDaniels would have been, how long would he be here? I have the feeling as soon as Belichek retires, he'd bolt back to NE in a heartbeat.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:51 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: From PFT:

Former Jets and current Buccaneers quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick endorsed Monken this week.

“I’m telling you: He’s got it,” Fitzpatrick said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “He’s got the ‘It factor’ as a head coach.”

Of course, Mikey also has the "IT" factor:

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been kinda giddy through this whole process, but when I really think about it, McDaniels wasn't a good candidate, despite the big name. He was terrible in Denver, made bad personnel decisions (which we definitely don't need) and NE hires have a terrible track record (Crennel, Charlie Weis, Patricia, Mangini, etc) and he was also terrible as an OC in his brief stint with the Rams.

Me too

I don't know much about this Monken guy but I might add him to the list as well ?

I'm just dying to get off the Marvin train !
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:51 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: From PFT:

Well if Ryan Fitzpatrick says it...  Mellow

Seriously though, that's good to hear. Again, I don't hate him as a candidate. They did lead the league in pass yards and TD's, putting up ridiculous numbers.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been kinda giddy through this whole process, but when I really think about it, McDaniels wasn't a good candidate, despite the big name. He was terrible in Denver, made bad personnel decisions (which we definitely don't need) and NE hires have a terrible track record (Crennel, Charlie Weis, Patricia, Mangini, etc) and he was also terrible as an OC in his brief stint with the Rams.

Agree on all of this. Never wanted McDaniel’s in the first place. Still hurts to see us get turned down though.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me too

I don't know much about this Monken guy but I might add him to the list as well ?

I'm just dying to get off the Marvin train !

Here is the Mikey and Marv train:

Reply/Quote
Obviously not a good sign he won't even see us.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:54 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Those are probably my top 2, as of the moment. My problem with McDaniels would have been, how long would he be here? I have the feeling as soon as Belichek retires, he'd bolt back to NE in a heartbeat.

It's not like he has a history of doing that... Oh wait...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'm glad McDaniels took his own name off the list, hiring him would be like putting your boat in trouble water. He's just too much of a lose cannon. He'd take a job on Monday and want out on Tuesday.

He's the NFL equivalent of Bobby Petrino (I know he was in the NFL as well).

I'd still rank Zac Taylor as the number one candidate, but that's just me. If we go with him, it'll be a more seamless transition. He's worked with Lazor, so we could legitimately keep him, Van Pelt and Pollack.

He could finish the offensive coaching staff, obviously he'd have the option of going his own way and completely going new.

On defense I would like to hire Kris Richard as defensive coordinator. He's a young, fiery coach and is a completely no nonsense man. This guy could be our head coaching candidate himself.

I also like Eric Bieniemy, honestly he might be the better choice, having a former Bengal player coaching will probably do more for the fanbase than any other coaching hire. Day one, he'd be a fan favorite.

Unfortunately, I've heard from a lot of people that who they really want to hire is Hue Jackson, but they are afraid of the fan blowback and at their own inability of being able to sell him and his coaching record to the fanbase.

I believe they even reported this on Colin Cowherd's show, not that his source is any more believable than any other. I wouldn't doubt that this is how they feel though.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 02:03 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Obviously not a good sign he won't even see us.

Eh, Bieniemy wouldn't see Arizona. I don't read too much into it, it could be something as stupid as his wife doesn't want to live here.....
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been kinda giddy through this whole process, but when I really think about it, McDaniels wasn't a good candidate, despite the big name. He was terrible in Denver, made bad personnel decisions (which we definitely don't need) and NE hires have a terrible track record (Crennel, Charlie Weis, Patricia, Mangini, etc) and he was also terrible as an OC in his brief stint with the Rams.

Agreed I’m from New England McDaniels is way overrated he coached one of the greatest quarterbacks ever and worked under one of the greatest head coaches ever which made his job a lot easier. I’m sure Brady would be just fine without him. Like you said bad personnel decisions, this guy drafted Tim Tebow as his franchise quarterback in the first round. I would never let him interview after what he did to the Colts, you know it’s bad when your agent fires you.
Reply/Quote