Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron
(01-09-2019, 11:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Nah that’s a relic, you can get coaches film from every major college program online within a day of games sent to you. Your over thinking this seriously. They will be fine, Marvin wasn’t out watching college games during the season and we were fine.

The college all-star games are very important in scouting.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 10:41 PM)Synric Wrote: I'd like to see the staff in place by next Tuesday which I believe is the first day of East West Shrine practices.

Then we'd all better hope that the Chiefs and Rams lose this weekend.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 11:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Nah that’s a relic, you can get coaches film from every major college program online within a day of games sent to you. Your over thinking this seriously. They will be fine, Marvin wasn’t out watching college games during the season and we were fine.

Yes...and our drafting has been pretty bad for the past 5-6 years. And...we haven't won a playoff game in 28+ years. Maybe it's time to change that up?

They had 2 great drafts and a bunch of bad ones.

I read time and time again that you have to see guys play in person that film isn't the same.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals future HC will be on one of the sidelines this weekend.

I have a strong gut feeling it's going to be Eric Bieniemy.

Also; for those worrying about the Bengals HC when it comes to time period; Frank Reich wasn't even hired until February 11th, and he's arguably the coach of the year.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:08 AM)Synric Wrote: The college all-star games are very important in scouting.

But all those players are assembled in one place. Tobin and the scouts we have can handle these, not as big of an issue still.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes...and our drafting has been pretty bad for the past 5-6 years. And...we haven't won a playoff game in 28+ years. Maybe it's time to change that up?

They had 2 great drafts and a bunch of bad ones.

I read time and time again that you have to see guys play in person that film isn't the same.

Well that really isn't pertinent to this discussion because the premise made in this thread was we needed a coach right now because of scouting. My contention is that it doesn't matter because our coaches have never gone to the games in person because they are the day before our games. We have been fine ( statistically we are still one of the better teams in the league drafting) and will continue to be fine as is. No matter if we sign a HC today or two weeks from now it won't make a difference other than we may get a much better coach. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: Well that really isn't pertinent to this discussion because the premise made in this thread was we needed a coach right now because of scouting. My contention is that it doesn't matter because our coaches have never gone to the games in person because they are the day before our games. We have been fine ( statistically we are still one of the better teams in the league drafting) and will continue to be fine as is. No matter if we sign a HC today or two weeks from now it won't make a difference other than we may get a much better coach. 

That statistically we are one of the better teams in the league drafting thing is a myth. It's based on guys you draft playing. It doesn't factor in quality.

This is from 2017:

It ranks us 26th in drafting over the previous 5 years.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-teams-five-year-success-by-draft-class
Reply/Quote
That said, IF we want to hire a coach who is still coaching...we wait. No sense rushing and hiring on staff for this. But, we need to send scouts to these practices and games.

But, our coaches play a bigger role in scouting than most teams. No denying that.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 10:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That statistically we are one of the better teams in the league drafting thing is a myth. It's based on guys you draft playing. It doesn't factor in quality.

This is from 2017:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-teams-five-year-success-by-draft-class

What's your metric? That is based only on guys while they are with their drafted team. I saw a statistics that we have the most players in the NFL that we drafted. A lot of our guys stick around on other teams as back ups and role players. Which is funny because they tend to be the late round guys that you'd think a team with a small staff would miss on a lot more. 

I mean heck look at how well Margus Hunt played this year for the Colts.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: What's your metric? That is based only on guys while they are with their drafted team. I saw a statistics that we have the most players in the NFL that we drafted. A lot of our guys stick around on other teams as back ups and role players. Which is funny because they tend to be the late round guys that you'd think a team with a small staff would miss on a lot more. 

I mean heck look at how well Margus Hunt played this year for the Colts.

What good does it do if you draft a guy and they are bad for 5 years here and leave and become good.

You think Margus Hunt is good? He had 5 sacks all year with 2 against us.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What good does it do if you draft a guy and they are bad for 5 years here and leave and become good.

You think Margus Hunt is good? He had 5 sacks all year with 2 against us.

That would mean it was a coaching issue not a drafting issue...

As for hunt late in the year he was tied with Geno in QB pressures a stat that is more indicative to pass rush prowess than sacks, as most statisticians will tell you sacks can be caused by many things from coverage to QB's running in to them. Beyond that Hunt graded out as a quality starter this year which is far more than he ever accomplished here.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:57 PM)Au165 Wrote: That would mean it was a coaching issue not a drafting issue...

As for hunt late in the year he was tied with Geno in QB pressures a stat that is more indicative to pass rush prowess than sacks, as most statisticians will tell you sacks can be caused by many things from coverage to QB's running in to them. Beyond that Hunt graded out as a quality starter this year which is far more than he veer accomplished here.

Could be that Margus was just miscast in the Bengals defense.  Given his background as a thrower and weight lifter (and most likely as a wrestler, in his younger days), he is more in tune for that "phone booth" match, than getting around an end and doing something in space.  Eberflus looked brilliant by putting him down at NT, versus the Texans.

So, that lends me to agree that it was coaching issues with the Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Given that Indy is getting it done most of the time with a 3 man rush, Margus is doing just fine. He's just like Justin Smith, who wasn''t in the best situation here, but then went to SF and prospered under a different system.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 10:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That statistically we are one of the better teams in the league drafting thing is a myth. It's based on guys you draft playing. It doesn't factor in quality.

This is from 2017:

The study you're citing is completely subjective and lazily done.  There are numerous issues with it.

1.WAR is a completely made up and subjective stat, and is the basis of the rankings.  They even admit up front that an individual player's WAR rating is based on what position they play.  That up front means this isn't about who is drafting the best players.  It's about who drafted the best players at the positions PFF deems most important.  Team needs will inflate and handicap a team's ranking.

2.Players with a negative WAR rating are treated as 0, or the equivalent of a player who never saw the field.  Teams that draft and play horrible players are not having their scores deducted as much as they should due to this fact.

3.They basically determine WAR rating by taking an average of the player's production in the years they did play and stretching that out over 5 years.  This is a horrible flaw.  If you have a 3rd year WR who is buried on the depth chart in year 1 and has 300 yards and 1 TD and has a breakout 2nd year with 1200 yards and 9 TD's, they will be averaged out at 750 yards and 5 TD's per year.  Their model intrinsically handicaps teams that sit players for 1-2 years due to having great depth.  For example, the Steelers are 30th.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:19 AM)Whatever Wrote: Then we'd all better hope that the Chiefs and Rams lose this weekend.

I think the Chiefs might lose to the Colts.

That Defense of the Colts is underrated and Luck looks like the real deal for once.

Thinking it is going to be Eric B anyways as the next Bengal HC.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 04:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think the Chiefs might lose to the Colts.

That Defense of the Colts is underrated and Luck looks like the real deal for once.

Thinking it is going to be Eric B anyways as the next Bengal HC.

Go Colts!! LMAO
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote