Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals retain Iloka
(03-09-2016, 12:56 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Very smart deal.

Bengals are giving S George Iloka a 5-year, $30 million deal that includes $18M over first 3 three years.

Front loading again. Giving good guaranteed money to minimise the cap hit. Like it.

$18M over 3 years is not front loading a 5 year $30M contract. it all works out to $6M per year
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: Think they let Nelson walk and go with a younger and cheaper Williams who showed promise.

It's a shame he won't be here to end lev bell's season for the 3rd straight year. George has to carry that mantle
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:16 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's a shame he won't be here to end lev bell's season for the 3rd straight year.    George has to carry that mantle

I believe Burfict ended it in 2015.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:18 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I believe Burfict ended it in 2015.

He injured Bell both times.

We're going to miss Nelson in the Steelers games because he owned Roethlisberger. I believe he'd picked off Ben in like 5 straight games.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:59 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: 30/5= 6

6x3 = 18

Not really front loaded haha

(03-09-2016, 01:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: $18M over 3 years is not front loading a 5 year $30M contract. it all works out to $6M per year

Very right. Totally fooled by the way Schefter phrased it. Great deal either way, 6 mill a year is a snip.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:18 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I believe Burfict ended it in 2015.

Reggie was on that tackle as well lol
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He injured Bell both times.

We're going to miss Nelson in the Steelers games because he owned Roethlisberger. I believe he'd picked off Ben in like 5 straight games.

Agreed. Nelson was a steeler killer . I hope we work something out. But others will probably overpay for him.
Reply/Quote
I think this is a completely fair deal. Something you rarely see. Only typically when a player takes a home town discount (basically what they ought to be worth). He's not the best safety in the league, but he's good and on the rise and young so 5 years $30 million is exactly the right kind of value.

Hopefully the fact that we let most of our signees stay (especially the more long term ones) with the exceptions of the biggest of busts, throughout the term of their signed contracts can become at least somewhat of a good reason to come play for the Bengals organization. Plus we do win a lot right now and make our impending free agents look good when their contracts are finished.

If we could just win a damn playoff game I could see people actually really wanting to come here rather than painstakingly getting a few in here and then them realizing it's a good loyal organization and wanting to stay.

In Marvin Jones case I just don't think we were willing to offer probably more than $4-5 million a year and the Lions are desperate. I hate to lose him, but the value just isn't there for us when we have a true #1 and a break out TE. Not to mention a good receiving running back on top of that. I would like to see us sign Anquan Boldin or that Rishard kid as a safety valve and get BPA WR in that 1st to 3rd round area.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:24 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Agreed.   Nelson was a steeler killer .  I hope we work something out.    But others will probably overpay for him.

I don't think you can overpay a guy who led the league with 8 INTs, graded out as a top 5 safety, and is a fabulous locker room presence.

They can give too many years on the contract, but Reggie will probably be worth what he's paid.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think you can overpay a guy who led the league with 8 INTs, graded out as a top 5 safety, and is a fabulous locker room presence.

They can give too many years on the contract, but Reggie will probably be worth what he's paid.

Yep.....and honestly, if he takes a team friendly deal, Smith, Hall, and Sanu hit the bricks.....there's a chance he stays...

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think you can overpay a guy who led the league with 8 INTs, graded out as a top 5 safety, and is a fabulous locker room presence.

I'd like to see us give him a 3 or 4 year contract and let him end his career here in Cincinnati. To be honest that's probably our solid window of opportunity to win a Super Bowl, unless he's going to the Patriots we're one of the better options for him trying to win something at the end of his career. Hopefully he considers familiarity and continuity as important considerations on top of just the most money. Of course a lot of this may depend on what the staff thinks. If they are really sold on Williams as a starter then they may not want him back unless it's at the low ballsiest of offers.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep.....and honestly, if he takes a team friendly deal, Smith, Hall, and Sanu hit the bricks.....there's a chance he stays...

Totally agree. Honestly I wanted to move on from Andre. Sanu isn't worth the money he'll get, and while I love Leon - it's around time to move on. Now that MLJ is gone and Iloka is signed, Adam and Reggie have to be the priorities.

(03-09-2016, 01:35 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'd like to see us give him a 3 or 4 year contract and let him end his career here in Cincinnati. To be honest that's probably our solid window of opportunity to win a Super Bowl, unless he's going to the Patriots we're one of the better options for him trying to win something at the end of his career. Hopefully he considers familiarity and continuity as important considerations on top of just the most money. Of course a lot of this may depend on what the staff thinks. If they are really sold on Williams as a starter then they may not want him back unless it's at the low ballsiest of offers.

Well...I think 3 or 4 years is a bit longer than I'd be comfortable with, considering Reggies age. Of course, they could structure the contract in a way that'd make it easy to cut him if he fell off. I really think Nelson is far more important to this defense than some realize. If you really think about it, he's had more big moments than anyone over the last 5 years. 
Reply/Quote
Thank god we got him signed.
It's hard to get excited with this team the way they've been burned by Free Agents.
I only believe it now a days when I hear the words xxx has signed and is now a Bengal, any other words mean nothing.
Reply/Quote
You could sign Reggie to a short term deal and then move Williams to LB in replace Vinny.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Best news of the day/week so far. Now if we can either retain Adam Jones/Hall and maybe sign a FA WR or DT/DE that would allow us to go hopefully BPA in the first round this year.
Reply/Quote
Cheers
Reply/Quote
Hip Hip Hooray !

Big signing imo.

Hate to see Marvin Jones go though and unlike others would like to see Sanu re-signed at this point.

Will be tough replacing both WR's. Probably means the defense will be neglected in early rounds once more.

Still ecstatic about re-signing Iloka though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I see discussion on here about Reggie Nelson.

Reggie is an all time Bengal great in my mind. I would do what it takes to sign him. He is the commander of the defense. Would love to see him retire here, and I believe he has some loyalty to Marvin and Cinci for giving him a shot after he didn't do so well in Jax.

Hope he stays too.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, he is worth a lot.  Even in his 30's he will get a good contract.  

Safeties make a lot of plays with their brains.  That is why a lot of them are able to play well into their thirties.  Darren Sharper was older than Reggie when the Saints signed him and he turned out to be their defensive MVP in their Super Bowl season.  I think Brian Dawkins played until he was 50.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:16 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's a shame he won't be here to end lev bell's season for the 3rd straight year.    George has to carry that mantle

[Image: ggggg_zpsenpz6iec.png]

dat's ice cold

Reply/Quote