Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Marvin Lewis Resigns from Arizona State - Linked to Bengals FO
(04-01-2021, 06:15 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: It seems a little disrespectful to make a future Ring of Honor nominee the butt of a cheap April Fool’s joke.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.co%2Fimages...f=1&nofb=1]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
April fools i hope
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:51 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: April Fool's Day is probably the most annoying day of the year.

It has gotten better. There was a time I wouldn't even log in on this day. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well done.

That being said, Tuesday through Saturday. ML put together a Hell of a squad . . . It was Sundays and the occasional Mondays and Thursdays that ruined his image in my eyes. One of the most consistently terrible clock management coaches that I've ever seen. 95% of the kids playing Madden are better time managers than Marvin Lewis. That's the main reason I called him Marvin Clewless.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:08 PM)Tomcat Wrote: April 1st is called what?

Damn dude... you couldn't pick a different name?  Gonna be a tad bit confusing around here.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So this is story is unfolding on a few different places.  I'm been following it mainly on the Sun Devil's 247 message board.  There's quite a bit on Twitter and Reddit as well.

Marvin Lewis has resigned from Herm Edwards staff.  There's rumors this is because Marvin doesn't want to share coodinator duties.  But the big rumor is because he's looking at a huge pay increase by coming back here.  While the money hasn't been confimed, it looks like he will be returning.

As it stands right now, the news is that he'll be joining the front office in the role of Director of Personnel, spefically college scouting.  He'll be the "yin" to Tobin's "yang".  Tobin will oversee the pro side of scouting, Marvin will handle the college side of scouting, and they will both work together across both spectrums of the positions.  Essentially, between the two of them, they will take on the role of a GM.

I'll be pretty interested to hear what everyone thinks about this.  I know a lot of people have called for Marvin to work in the front office.  And obviously he's been looking to return to the NFL, but his interviews haven't resulted in a coaching gig.

I will say it's good to hear that we'll have another set of eyes on the draft.  And even know this isn't a traditional GM setup, I think between him and Tobin we can assume the family is stepping further and further away from play personnel.

Fwiw, if you have access to IHEARTRADIO online they're going to breaking down this news on Fox Sports 910 Phoenix at 3:00.  I'm assuming Mo Egger or Lance McAlister will pick it up as well on our side.

What do you guys think?  I'm kinda torn on this one.

Very interesting.  I'm also incredibly surprised.  It isn't that the parting of ways wasn't cordial, but Marvin never struck me as the kind of person that wants to be behind the scenes.  I think that is why he didn't stick with ASU and his role kept changing there.  

That being said, I think Marvin is a great talent evaluator.  My biggest knock on him was always ignoring the character concerns.  I am all about Marv being an asst GM-type here, but I want Taylor's emphasis on character and leaders to trump Marv's character issues.  

You can say what you want about the talent that Taylor has amassed, but I actually think his drafts are starting to show in team chemistry and it will be very interesting to see how the team responds now that the last of the "old guard" is gone.  

I root for the Browns when they aren't playing the Bengals (don't ban me) and although I think Baker can be a douche, I LOVE the way that team battles.  They play HARD.  I am hoping to see that from a young, energetic squad here.  
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:12 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well done.

That being said, Tuesday through Saturday. ML put together a Hell of a squad . . . It was Sundays and the occasional Mondays and Thursdays that ruined his image in my eyes. One of the most consistently terrible clock management coaches that I've ever seen. 95% of the kids playing Madden are better time managers than Marvin Lewis. That's the main reason I called him Marvin Clewless.

I mean compared to what we have in place right now, I'd say Marvin was pretty damn competent as a game manager.  Just sayin!

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:12 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well done.

My thoughts exactly. 

Great joke! Had me going for a minute... . 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 11:21 AM)SladeX Wrote: My thoughts exactly. 

Great joke! Had me going for a minute... . 

I was believing it too becuase it smelled of a Mike Brown move....to bring in a retread.  My initial reaction was similar to when we resigned Jordan Evans honestly...Ho Hum
We all have wanted a Legit GM for as long as I can recall.....was interesting to see how some on this board liked the idea.
Not me. 
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 12:03 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I was believing it too becuase it smelled of a Mike Brown move....to bring in a retread.  My initial reaction was similar to when we resigned Jordan Evans honestly...Ho Hum
We all have wanted a Legit GM for as long as I can recall.....was interesting to see how some on this board liked the idea.
Not me. 

There are quite a lot of people who didn't want ML to leave, but move out of HC into GM.  The problem is when you have so many years in any org (not even limited to sports) it's hard to break out of the ruts that were created.  New energy, new ideas.  Especially for people at the top of an org with a lot of influence.  
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:51 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: April Fool's Day is probably the most annoying day of the year.

Right? This was super lame. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 04:05 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Right? This was super lame. 

Lame, because you actually clicked on the thread, thinking that is might actually be possible?   Cool

Honestly, I'd love for Marvin Lewis to have a managerial role with the Bengals organization.  He was a damn fine HC, always seemed to have the team prepared to open the season strong.  Sure, he had his faults, like most of us do.  However, if the man was allowed to direct the personnel in the way that he saw fit?  I have no doubts that he could have taken the Bengals further than he did, with the players that were given to him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
When I saw the thread, I immediately knew it had to be an April Fool's Thread.
Then, I thought there may be a chance that this horror could occur because: Bengals.
Sad way to think how something so ridiculous had a chance, where a joke and Bengals goes together so well.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 06:19 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I think a lot of us would be. But reality is this is not a Bengals thing to do. I had zero doubt it was april fools lol. Been a fan too long I guess...

Played me and I was looking for it LMAO!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So this is story is unfolding on a few different places.  I'm been following it mainly on the Sun Devil's 247 message board.  There's quite a bit on Twitter and Reddit as well.

Marvin Lewis has resigned from Herm Edwards staff.  There's rumors this is because Marvin doesn't want to share coodinator duties.  But the big rumor is because he's looking at a huge pay increase by coming back here.  While the money hasn't been confimed, it looks like he will be returning.

As it stands right now, the news is that he'll be joining the front office in the role of Director of Personnel, spefically college scouting.  He'll be the "yin" to Tobin's "yang".  Tobin will oversee the pro side of scouting, Marvin will handle the college side of scouting, and they will both work together across both spectrums of the positions.  Essentially, between the two of them, they will take on the role of a GM.

I'll be pretty interested to hear what everyone thinks about this.  I know a lot of people have called for Marvin to work in the front office.  And obviously he's been looking to return to the NFL, but his interviews haven't resulted in a coaching gig.

I will say it's good to hear that we'll have another set of eyes on the draft.  And even know this isn't a traditional GM setup, I think between him and Tobin we can assume the family is stepping further and further away from play personnel.

Fwiw, if you have access to IHEARTRADIO online they're going to breaking down this news on Fox Sports 910 Phoenix at 3:00.  I'm assuming Mo Egger or Lance McAlister will pick it up as well on our side.

I don't really see a down side to it, since i thought it was a good idea around 2016ish. 

He knows the organization inside and out and he's already stated that his philosophy is pretty different than Mike's in how to build a successful franchise. That alone should be sweet music to most people's ears.

I wasn't nearly the most outspoken Marv proponent in the last few years but i think he's a very solid front office hire. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Hold up...

Yesterday was the 1st.

You ass. Rant

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 10:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hold up...

Yesterday was the 1st.

You ass. Rant

Yeah, always have to look for this day round here LMAO! Hilarious

Best one I have seen yet, have to give props to Wes on this one. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Lame, because you actually clicked on the thread, thinking that is might actually be possible?   Cool

Honestly, I'd love for Marvin Lewis to have a managerial role with the Bengals organization.  He was a damn fine HC, always seemed to have the team prepared to open the season strong.  Sure, he had his faults, like most of us do.  However, if the man was allowed to direct the personnel in the way that he saw fit?  I have no doubts that he could have taken the Bengals further than he did, with the players that were given to him.

Hey now....I didnt believe it for a second!  Smirk
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Wouldn’t hate him as a DC
-Housh
Reply/Quote