Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Marvin Lewis Resigns from Arizona State - Linked to Bengals FO
So this is story is unfolding on a few different places. I'm been following it mainly on the Sun Devil's 247 message board. There's quite a bit on Twitter and Reddit as well.

Marvin Lewis has resigned from Herm Edwards staff. There's rumors this is because Marvin doesn't want to share coodinator duties. But the big rumor is because he's looking at a huge pay increase by coming back here. While the money hasn't been confimed, it looks like he will be returning.

As it stands right now, the news is that he'll be joining the front office in the role of Director of Personnel, spefically college scouting. He'll be the "yin" to Tobin's "yang". Tobin will oversee the pro side of scouting, Marvin will handle the college side of scouting, and they will both work together across both spectrums of the positions. Essentially, between the two of them, they will take on the role of a GM.

I'll be pretty interested to hear what everyone thinks about this. I know a lot of people have called for Marvin to work in the front office. And obviously he's been looking to return to the NFL, but his interviews haven't resulted in a coaching gig.

I will say it's good to hear that we'll have another set of eyes on the draft. And even know this isn't a traditional GM setup, I think between him and Tobin we can assume the family is stepping further and further away from play personnel.

Fwiw, if you have access to IHEARTRADIO online they're going to breaking down this news on Fox Sports 910 Phoenix at 3:00. I'm assuming Mo Egger or Lance McAlister will pick it up as well on our side.

What do you guys think? I'm kinda torn on this one.
Reply/Quote
Yeah it looks like this is happening for better or worse
Reply/Quote
If true I think it’s an unexpected but important first step to becoming a somewhat normal operating front office in the NFL. Still lots of other steps needed.. but it’s a first step. I do t have a thing against Marvin....except for his coaching.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have him as DC.
Reply/Quote
I wish there was more in place with the Bengals' org being stronger before bringing in old blood again. I feel like the strength of leadership doesn't exist now in the building where ML could end up with more influence than would be healthy.

That said, I don't have a problem with them bringing him in for the role. From what I recall, that was something (player scouting and development) he always took interest in (it's amazing how fast my memory fades to keep up with changes...) and since he's been in the college game for a bit he might have some great insight as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Man, good info. Thanks for the post.

I am torn as well. Marvin is the best coach we've had since Sam & Forest. At least the most successful. But 'his guys' did not seem real productive. We whiffed a lot on picks with he and Duke in the driver's seat.

While I like the fact that we get another layer between Mike and decisions being made (hopefully). And I like anything that reduces Duke's role/voice, making Duke & Marvin the decision makers leaves me uncomfortable.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So this is story is unfolding on a few different places.  I'm been following it mainly on the Sun Devil's 247 message board.  There's quite a bit on Twitter and Reddit as well.

Marvin Lewis has resigned from Herm Edwards staff.  There's rumors this is because Marvin doesn't want to share coodinator duties.  But the big rumor is because he's looking at a huge pay increase by coming back here.  While the money hasn't been confimed, it looks like he will be returning.

As it stands right now, the news is that he'll be joining the front office in the role of Director of Personnel, spefically college scouting.  He'll be the "yin" to Tobin's "yang".  Tobin will oversee the pro side of scouting, Marvin will handle the college side of scouting, and they will both work together across both spectrums of the positions.  Essentially, between the two of them, they will take on the role of a GM.

I'll be pretty interested to hear what everyone thinks about this.  I know a lot of people have called for Marvin to work in the front office.  And obviously he's been looking to return to the NFL, but his interviews haven't resulted in a coaching gig.

I will say it's good to hear that we'll have another set of eyes on the draft.  And even know this isn't a traditional GM setup, I think between him and Tobin we can assume the family is stepping further and further away from play personnel.

Fwiw, if you have access to IHEARTRADIO online they're going to breaking down this news on Fox Sports 910 Phoenix at 3:00.  I'm assuming Mo Egger or Lance McAlister will pick it up as well on our side.

What do you guys think?  I'm kinda torn on this one.

I love this move and here is why.

1) Marvin was a good coach here, his record speaks for itself. The playoff record and game management certainly leaves questions but the guy was good at finding talent in the draft and getting some of it geared up. So, having him do that and not having to coach I love.

2) This team has a garbage scouting department... any addition is progress. They could hire you Wes (no offense meant) and it would still be progress since it is another body in the scouting department.

3) It could eventually lead to the end of Duke Tobin.

4) Mike Brown actually listens to Marvin.

So overall, Marvin as a talent evaluator and not the head coach... I love this.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
April 1st is called what?
Reply/Quote
April Fools ... right...
Reply/Quote
Got any links Wes? I’m skeptical of everything today since it is April Fools and I can’t find anything on this. There is nothing in r/Bengals, nothing in r/NFL, nothing in r/CFB, nothing on Twitter.

I think Wes is pulling everyone’s leg, here. I can’t find a single word about this anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:08 PM)Tomcat Wrote: April 1st is called what?

Yeah, this smells like April Fools
Reply/Quote
4/1
Reply/Quote
Wish it was true but know it's not lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Solid April Fool's post.
Reply/Quote
[Image: good-one-gif-2.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd rather have him as DC.

(04-01-2021, 03:04 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Me too.  That’s Marvin’s wheelhouse.

I think he's a DC of a bygone era.

The Bengals were absolutely terrible defensively under Lewis until they brought Zimmer in, and they went back to terrible under Lewis after Guenther could no longer run Zimmer's scheme with Zimmer's guys a few years later.

I also question his evaluation for talent. He called Darqueze Dennard the best rookie CB he had ever seen. It also seemed like he was always trying to find a LB/DE hybrid guy, and refused to move on from continuing to draft 240-260lb slow hard hitting LBs when the league dictated the need for 225-235lb fast LBs that can cover.

EDIT: If this is an April Fools thing, I will ask for neg rep to return. We don't need any of that shit around here. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
This is fake so whatever... But 8 feel like we did Marvin no favors by not firing him after 2013. The loss to the Chargers was THE unacceptable loss of his tenure. I think he would've landed another gig by 2015 at the latest. The implosion in January of 2016, and the 3 seasons that followed really sullied his name I believe.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
This is April fools. I always thought April fools was more to expose the fools than it was to fool ppl.
Reply/Quote
Nice bait.

In fantasy land, I think Marvin could be good in a front office role. Not sure if here considering his past as HC, but I think he could succeed in it.
Reply/Quote
Not going to lie, you got me for a second. This would have been SUPER good news IMO. I always thought Marvin would have made a good front office guy.
Reply/Quote