Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign Michael Bennett, WR, UGa
And they cut Jake Murphy, one of the 38 TEs we seem to have.

It's good to see them trying to build some more depth at WR.

Bennett did nothing to stick around in Oakland or Miami. Maybe he'll fit here
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 11:25 AM)Shady Wrote: And they cut Jake Murphy, one of the 38 TEs we seem to have.

that knee injury history is bad...

I thought Murphy was having a good camp? but i guess its pretty full in front of him and not sure of his PS eligiblity. he will probly get snatched up by washington as they seem to have no TEs now lol.

This kid (Bennett) might be in line for the PS... unless a lot of WRs already here are disappointing that badly.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 01:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that knee injury history is bad...

I thought Murphy was having a good camp? but i guess its pretty full in front of him and not sure of his PS eligiblity.  he will probly get snatched up by washington as they seem to have no TEs now lol.

This kid (Bennett) might be in line for the PS...  unless a lot of WRs already here are disappointing that badly.

I don't know. I just hope that McCarron can play the rest of the preseason. Not only do we get to see what he can do, but I think he will let our #2 and #3 WRs and TEs shine more than they would with J.J. at the helm. On the other hand, if Josh Johnson throws a pass in your direction, you must have gotten yourself totally wide open (or a defender fell down). So, you must have skills.

I feel bad for players like Tevin Reese, Jake Kumerow, and others who have to play with the scrubbiest 3rd/4th string QB in preseason games. They don't see the field well. When the OLine scrubs do give them time to throw, you always notice them ignoring wide open receivers. 

Anyway, I hope Bennett or someone emerges from this group to give us some better depth at WR. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
With Alford and Little lurking for a spot, Bennett seems like a camp signing. Warm bodies, rest the veterans, all that....

Then again, Marvin likes dem Gawgia boys.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 01:39 PM)Shady Wrote: I don't know. I just hope that McCarron can play the rest of the preseason. Not only do we get to see what he can do, but I think he will let our #2 and #3 WRs and TEs shine more than they would with J.J. at the helm. On the other hand, if Josh Johnson throws a pass in your direction, you must have gotten yourself totally wide open (or a defender fell down). So, you must have skills.

I feel bad for players like Tevin Reese, Jake Kumerow, and others who have to play with the scrubbiest 3rd/4th string QB in preseason games. They don't see the field well. When the OLine scrubs do give them time to throw, you always notice them ignoring wide open receivers. 

Anyway, I hope Bennett or someone emerges from this group to give us some better depth at WR. 

i had high hopes for Kumerow.... Hopefully he has a better showing in the next few preseason games.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 01:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i had high hopes for Kumerow.... Hopefully he has a better showing in the next few preseason games.

The coaches hope for that too. I saw somewhere that the coaches really liked what he does in camp and that he does everything right there. They can want to see it transition onto the field.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 06:24 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: The coaches hope for that too. I saw somewhere that the coaches really liked what he does in camp and that he does everything right there. They can want to see it transition onto the field.

I thought he was fine. Had a real nice catch for a first then did a good job preventing a pick on an underthrow. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 06:26 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I thought he was fine. Had a real nice catch for a first then did a good job preventing a pick on an underthrow. 

Yes but they want to see more out of him. Think he gets more snaps against Tampa. Hope so, saw some videos and he looks really good out there.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 06:29 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yes but they want to see more out of him. Think he gets more snaps against Tampa. Hope so, saw some videos and he looks really good out there.

I hate when coaches pull that shit.

"Here you get five snaps"
Convert a third and long, break up a pick which was a TD on a good throw
"Need to see more from you kid" 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 06:32 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I hate when coaches pull that shit.

Yep. Then by week 4 when they have more than a quarter of play, they blow it up then get cut.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 11:25 AM)Shady Wrote: And they cut Jake Murphy, one of the 38 TEs we seem to have.

Bennett has never been with Oakland or Miami. This is his first NFL contract.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 06:32 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I hate when coaches pull that shit.

yeah, "five snaps" with a crap oline and a crap qb.

(08-19-2015, 07:17 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: Bennett has never been with Oakland or Miami. This is his first NFL contract.

My bad. Got him confused with Murphy.

After watching some tape on this guy, I think he has the size and talent to make the 53. granted WR, is not our deepest position group.
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to do the usual forum poster pimping job of saying that he'll be an All-Pro and it's a great signing, but I do like his size and his ability to go up and get a ball. He could be a mismatch for DBs.

I could see him at least making the team, though probably not contributing a whole lot, although I do like him from the slot. I'd also like him for jump balls in the end zone once we get inside the red zone because him and AJ would be tough to stop on jump balls. You could say we could use Kroft, Eifert, or Uzomah in the same way, which we could, but Bennett would probably be better at running routes if we didn't want to make it obvious that that's what we were doing.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 01:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that knee injury history is bad...

I thought Murphy was having a good camp? but i guess its pretty full in front of him and not sure of his PS eligiblity.  he will probly get snatched up by washington as they seem to have no TEs now lol.

This kid (Bennett) might be in line for the PS...  unless a lot of WRs already here are disappointing that badly.

My guess is that the Saints pick up Murphy, they seem to have a thing for our tight ends... I mean they only have like 3 of them on their roster ( Orson, Alex Smith, and Kevin Brock)
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 01:39 PM)Shady Wrote: I don't know. I just hope that McCarron can play the rest of the preseason. Not only do we get to see what he can do, but I think he will let our #2 and #3 WRs and TEs shine more than they would with J.J. at the helm. On the other hand, if Josh Johnson throws a pass in your direction, you must have gotten yourself totally wide open (or a defender fell down). So, you must have skills.

Seriously...how is Josh Johnson still in consideration to be in the NFL as a QB? His first inclination is to tuck and run. It does seem that he only throws if the receiver is wide open. It was terrible watching him.

Either that or the receivers were very rarely open, which would really concern me about the "depth" the Bengals think they have at the position.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Having scrubs in our quarterback depth doesn't really help out some of these WR's who are trying to crack the roster. Like what the poster above stated Johnson's first thought is tuck and run... How does that help himself or a WR make the roster? Coaches don't want to see Josh run every time he gets the ball.
Reply/Quote
If he shows anything he'll be a practice squad candidate. If he can somehow show enough to make the 53 in the next two weeks coming off of injury, missing OTA"s, Minicamp, and a portion of training camp, then that says a lot (not good) about our wide receiver depth.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 09:37 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: My guess is that the Saints pick up Murphy, they seem to have a thing for our tight ends... I mean they only have like 3 of them on their roster ( Orson, Alex Smith, and Kevin Brock)

lol didnt know that...
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 10:15 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Having scrubs in our quarterback depth doesn't really help out some of these WR's who are trying to crack the roster. Like what the poster above stated Johnson's first thought is tuck and run... How does that help himself or a WR make the roster? Coaches don't want to see Josh run every time he gets the ball.

Exactly this, it's infuriating when you want to see the WR depth we actually have get tested.

Hopefully when (if) McCarron starts playing, more of the WRs will get the necessary game day opportunities.
[Image: ferris-quote.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 11:26 AM)camman007 Wrote: Exactly this, it's infuriating when you want to see the WR depth we actually have get tested.

Hopefully when (if) McCarron starts playing, more of the WRs will get the necessary game day opportunities.

Yea but we don't know is AJ is going to be any better than Josh. We can assume that he wont be running the ball as much. From what little weve seen of AJ is that he likes to hold the ball to long.
Reply/Quote