Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign Xavier Su'a-Filo
Maybe getting a guy who is starting to develop into a solid guard. He gets his shot here so let’s hope he is at least average. He’s been working with the best OL in football for the past 2 years, so there’s that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 05:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2nd round pick of the Texans in 2014. He started 41 games for them, then signed with Dallas, where he started 12 games over the last 2 years.

He's played mostly at left Guard.

Anyone have his PFF  grades?

Su'a-Filo's best year was 2016 when he was a full-time starter with HOU.
67.4 overall, 64.2 pass block, 66.7 run block

In the past two years with DAL, he was...
2018 - 43.3 overall, 48.7 pass block, 41.2 run block
2019 - 60.1 overall, 77.7 pass block, 48.6 run block
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 05:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So we are going to abandon the scheme that worked so well over the final 8 games and go back to the scheme from the first half of the season when we were on pace to be one of the worst rushing teams in NFL history?

Bang Head

Pin and Pull is an outside zone blocking scheme the same as the outside zone stretch.

I still see them using a pick on the line in the first 4 rounds.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
LMAO i thought they paid him 10 million a year. I was like wtf are these people talking about

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Watched videos on him. He stinks. Theres a video of him and connor William's that says "who gave up more sacks"
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 06:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Pin and Pull is an outside zone blocking scheme the same as the outside zone stretch.

I still see them using a pick on the line in the first 4 rounds.

Correct. Get a better pass protector and someone comfortable in an outside zone scheme.
Reply/Quote
Well this is a letdown. The Miller release did not portend a huge move, just a lateral one.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 06:05 PM)uochocincos Wrote: Su'a-Filo's best year was 2016 when he was a full-time starter with HOU.
67.4 overall, 64.2 pass block, 66.7 run block

In the past two years with DAL, he was...
2018 - 43.3 overall, 48.7 pass block, 41.2 run block
2019 - 60.1 overall, 77.7 pass block, 48.6 run block

That would've made him the 2nd best player on our OL if he did that here last year. He would've been our best pass blocker by far. Giving Burrow a guy who posted a 77.7 in pass pro is definitely a good thing. Maybe not a huge one, but still and upgrade.

Turner seems to know what he's looking for. He must feel like this dude fits better and will be better, and I give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure we're not done on the OL. The draft is deep there.
Reply/Quote
At least the are signing people. Maybe they saw something in him they didn't see in Miller. This forum is weird sometimes. "Bengals need to sign more people in free agency, address the o-line etc." Bengals release a guard and through free agency sign another. "WTF are the Bengals doing signing this guy in free agency?" (admitted hyperbole).

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 06:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Pin and Pull is an outside zone blocking scheme the same as the outside zone stretch.

Thanks.

Rep.

(03-18-2020, 06:05 PM)Synric Wrote: I still see them using a pick on the line in the first 4 rounds.

This.
Reply/Quote
Dallas fans been saying XSF was a solid player and held his own when he was put in the lineup. Not a Pro Bowler, but a solid player and that’s all he needs to be.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 06:09 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Watched videos on him. He stinks. Theres a video of him and connor William's that says "who gave up more sacks"

He gave up less sacks than Williams.

WTF are you talking about? You've been shitting on everything and keeping quiet on the good stuff.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 06:25 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He gave up less sacks than Williams.

WTF are you talking about? You've been shitting on everything and keeping quiet on the good stuff.

Yeah, he gave up one sack all season and had a very good pass blocking grade.

Not sure why people feel the need to complain about a depth signing. He's a guy who can be an adequate starter if needed or a really solid backup if they add someone better at some point 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 06:46 PM)Mobster Wrote: Yeah, he gave up one sack all season and had a very good pass blocking grade.

Not sure why people feel the need to complain about a depth signing. He's a guy who can be an adequate starter if needed or a really solid backup if they add someone better at some point 

He sounds like a reasonable depth signing but they need a starter as they've just cut the starter.

With his lack of experience at RG I wonder if the plan if the draft doesn't fall our way is Fred Johnson at RG and Su'a-Filo first man off the bench.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 06:56 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: He sounds like a reasonable depth signing but they need a starter as they've just cut the starter.

With his lack of experience at RG I wonder if the plan if the draft doesn't fall our way is Fred Johnson at RG and Su'a-Filo first man off the bench.

Yes.  He'll be a backup.  The starter probably is not even on the roster yet.  He'll be a backup at a cheaper price than Miller, who was not going to be a starter either.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I read he ran a 5.04 40 at the combine. Not bad for a 6'4" 300 pound guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 06:46 PM)Mobster Wrote: Yeah, he gave up one sack all season and had a very good pass blocking grade.

Exactly, there's just not enough money to put a star player at every position.  Even minor upgrades, especially one's with experience in the scheme you want to run, improve the team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 05:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

I like it, being a stabilizing Guard from the Cowboys is much better than being a meh player like Miller was.

Upgrade. Joe
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 06:13 PM)bengaloo Wrote: That would've made him the 2nd best player on our OL if he did that here last year. He would've been our best pass blocker by far. Giving Burrow a guy who posted a 77.7 in pass pro is definitely a good thing. Maybe not a huge one, but still and upgrade.

Turner seems to know what he's looking for. He must feel like this dude fits better and will be better, and I give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure we're not done on the OL. The draft is deep there.

Going by PFF, Fred Johnson graded 62.6, Glenn graded 68.4, and Hopkins graded 62.4, so he would have been 4th best.  Miller had a 58.6 so he's a slight upgrade at a cheaper price.  

Not saying it as a negative, but this is a "typical Bengals signing".  On paper Sua-F'ihlo is a serviceable starter/quality backup.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 07:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like it, being a stabilizing Guard from the Cowboys is much better than being a meh player like Miller was.

Upgrade. Joe

So, I guess this means that the bromance between the Bengals and Bills Mgt. is officially over?  All three of the players that many seemed giddy about acquiring at first, are all gone now.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote