Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals signing TE Mike Gesicki
I wanted him last year; glad we got him on better deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Another one-year signing after the front office said they didn't want a revolving door at TE.

And need to change the thread title. It is Mike Gesicki, not Mike Geseki. Sometimes posters rush to put up threads and don't take the extra minute to proofread the titles of the threads.
Reply/Quote
I don't like him at all and always thought he was overrated, but he undoubtedly makes the team better, so hard to hate this move.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Guy we can run at slot WR if Jones sucks

TE room pretty versatile right now. Best blocking TE in the league with 2 good pass catchers. Our double TE sets should have great versatility
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't like him at all and always thought he was overrated, but he undoubtedly makes the team better, so hard to hate this move.

Yeah. So 3 seasons ago, he was a 750 yard a season TE.

The last 2 years he hasn't been.

It's always VERY hard to judge that. Like did he just decline early? Was he in a bad situation?

His floor is being no worse than what we had last year. His ceiling has to be that 750ish yard receiving TE.
Reply/Quote
I like this deal even if only for 1 year. He should be able to get back to his 700+ yards/5 TD Dolphins '20 and '21 seasons, I hope.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:49 PM)Housh Wrote: Guy we can run at slot WR if Jones sucks

TE room pretty versatile right now. Best blocking TE in the league with 2 good pass catchers. Our double TE sets should have great versatility

Charlie Woerner signed with the Falcons and Will Dissly signed with the Chargers. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah. So 3 seasons ago, he was a 750 yard a season TE.

The last 2 years he hasn't been.

It's always VERY hard to judge that. Like did he just decline early? Was he in a bad situation?

His floor is being no worse than what we had last year. His ceiling has to be that 750ish yard receiving TE.

In 2022 Miami shifted the focus to the WRs, and this past year he played for a NE team that struggled to even score points.  I'd say when fed the ball properly, the 700 range is more representative of his ability.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don’t know him well

Does he have speed / quickness and an ability to get open?

I feel we lack this badly with most of our guys with the exception of Chase
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In 2022 Miami shifted the focus to the WRs, and this past year he played for a NE team that struggled to even score points.  I'd say when fed the ball properly, the 700 range is more representative of his ability.

I feel like without a deep study that I could get behind that theory too.

NE was a mess.

I vaguely thought he had some injuries for Miami too.
Reply/Quote
Not a blocking TE, but I did want the Bengals to get the big TE as a target for Burrow. Will create some mismatches and for once teams will have to be concerned about the Bengals tall TE rather than just the Bengals being concerned about opposing tall TEs. Maybe now that the Bengals have a RB that can block they have the luxury of a TE that is not a blocking TE.
Reply/Quote
v

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Definitely a financial bargain. He got almost 11 million his last year at Miami. His lack of blocking prowess was why Miami phased him out. McDaniel likes TE sets where the TEs can block.
Reply/Quote
Mike Gesicki is a better vertical inside receiver than he is a middle of the field zone beater which is what I expected the Bengals would target. Interesting twist.

Stone, Moss, and Gesicki does keep the draft open for the Bengals.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I hope we brought him in to mentor another PSU TE. I absolutely love the trade. How stocked would you be if the Bengals signed a TE at the recent combine who was very productive in college and put up these numbers at the Combine (Where he would have placed at most recent):

HT/WT: 6'6"/247
40: 4.54 (2nd)
Vert: 41.5 (1st)
Broad: 10'9" (1st)
3-cone: 6.57 (1st)
Shuttle: 4.10 (1st)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:42 PM)Nepa Wrote: Another one-year signing after the front office said they didn't want a revolving door at TE.

And need to change the thread title. It is Mike Gesicki, not Mike Geseki. Sometimes posters rush to put up threads and don't take the extra minute to proofread the titles of the threads.

Lol good to know who you are.
Reply/Quote
Gesicki as TE1, Sample as TE2 currently (at least in my eyes).
Happy with this signing.
Only a couple seasons removed from back-to-back 700-yard seasons.
He could turn into a real value signing.

Now let's see a Rd 3-4 draft pick to go along with Gesicki and Sample, as this one-year deal doesn't provide any long-term stability to the starting TE spot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:28 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I'm on the fence about this one. If this was two, three seasons ago I would have been over the moon. I hope he's the same player he was BEFORE playing with Mac Jones and that fustercluck that is the Patriots offense the past couple years.

Does this spell the end for the Hudson Hopefuls? Or do we bring him back as well, on the cheap, to fill out the TE room before the draft? If so, that would leave Sample as the only TE with any kind of blocking prowess and I'm not so sure I'm good with that.

I don't think it rules out Hudson at all, but I'm thinking the Bengals gave him an offer, and he wants to test the market and find out his value before signing with anyone. 
If he doesn't get what he wants then back to the Bengals
Reply/Quote
I have a weird feeling that the replacement for Tyler Boyd is going to be Tyler Boyd, since it seems like teams wanting receivers are pretty much willing to sign anyone else but him. That being said, I love this move since he's another proven target if for some reason Charlie Jones/Iosivas/Shedrick Jackson/draft picks at WR and TE don't work out. Getting Moss and Gesicki for less than what Mixon was going to be paid is a great value.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Mike Gesicki is a better vertical inside receiver than he is a middle of the field zone beater which is what I expected the Bengals would target. Interesting twist.

Stone, Moss, and Gesicki does keep the draft open for the Bengals.

This is the point. I don't think Gesicki stops us from drafting a TE but ensures we don't have to do something crazy to get one. I like him in this offense and think he can open up the inside seams for us which is a place we have been horrible at attacking historically. 
Reply/Quote