Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals signing TE Mike Gesicki
(03-12-2024, 12:25 PM)phil413 Wrote: I know they said they don't want a revolving door, but they also don't want a hole at NT and RT for example.  It's better for chemistry to have a long term fit, but if the market gives you a cheap option to fill a need you take it. 

Outside of Sweat, there's not a NT in the draft I would feel comfortable starting Game 1, so they need to add someone in FA.
And unless the Bengals get a late 1st or early 2nd out of a trade for Higgins, Sweat may not make it to 49, and 18 is arguably too early for him.

RT I think there will be some good option at 18 as plug-and-play if they choose to wait until draft for that spot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:36 PM)dxdtdemon Wrote: I have a weird feeling that the replacement for Tyler Boyd is going to be Tyler Boyd, since it seems like teams wanting receivers are pretty much willing to sign anyone else but him. That being said, I love this move since he's another proven target if for some reason Charlie Jones/Iosivas/Shedrick Jackson/draft picks at WR and TE don't work out. Getting Moss and Gesicki for less than what Mixon was going to be paid is a great value.

It is telling that not even WR needed Titans with their young QB who could use a security blanket aren't even being linked to Boyd.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Great target for Burrow. Love it.
Reply/Quote
This is a good signing. Coming back to the mid-west close to where he played his college ball. He's still young. Nothing wrong with this. That gives them a blocking TE with good hands and a pass catching TE moving forward towards the draft. Bottom line, the TE room just got a little better.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: It is telling that not even WR needed Titans with their young QB who could use a security blanket aren't even being linked to Boyd.

If Boyd's Market value drops enough then the Bengals may just bring him back.

Probably if TEE is traded then more likely that Boyd comes back for some continuity in the Offense.

Boyd had 828 yards receiving in the 2021 Super Bowl regular season and he is still young enough to 

approach those yardage totals again in 2024. (only on a cheaper contract)
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:03 PM)pally Wrote:

Another solid signing. Makes the TE position stronger and Gesicki can play Slot WR as well as pass catching TE. Was good on the 
Dolphins and had to play with Mac Jones last year who was terrible. I think Gesicki should have a bounce back year here as he is 
even better than Hudson who also liked, but this is an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
Loved Geseki when he played at PSU. NO idea how he'll pan out on the Bengals, though.
Reply/Quote
Finally a TE that can be a match-up issue
At the 2nd and 3rd levels. Can't overstate
His ability to catch and get YAC.
Should be a big time force in the Red Zone
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:54 PM)Synric Wrote: Charlie Woerner signed with the Falcons and Will Dissly signed with the Chargers. 

I'd put Sample at least on par with, if not better than Dissly.

Not sure I'd put him above Woerner though.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Outside of Sweat, there's not a NT in the draft I would feel comfortable starting Game 1, so they need to add someone in FA.
And unless the Bengals get a late 1st or early 2nd out of a trade for Higgins, Sweat may not make it to 49, and 18 is arguably too early for him.

RT I think there will be some good option at 18 as plug-and-play if they choose to wait until draft for that spot.

That was meaning priority wise they need to focus on fixing those holes in FA over TE.  Yeah I've been saying in a few posts that we can't plan mocks around Sweat being there, or even starting a rookie at either spot.  They may win the job, but you need at least a below average starter off the market even if you think you're getting a gem in the draft.  I wouldn't rule out a trade for either DT spot, especially with the comp pick. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:12 PM)phil413 Wrote: That was meaning priority wise they need to focus on fixing those holes in FA over TE.  Yeah I've been saying in a few posts that we can't plan mocks around Sweat being there, or even starting a rookie at either spot.  They may win the job, but you need at least a below average starter off the market even if you think you're getting a gem in the draft.  I wouldn't rule out a trade for either DT spot, especially with the comp pick. 

Sure hope some trades happen. Trade Tee for an early 2nd rounder and we can get Sweat there instead of hoping him to fall to our 
late 2nd rounder. Bring Reader back and add a pass rushing 3-tech in Ruke Orhorhoro in the 4th and we could be more than fine.

There are still some DT's out there as well that would help us. Rankins, Shelby Harris, A'Shawn Robinson etc.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:12 PM)phil413 Wrote: That was meaning priority wise they need to focus on fixing those holes in FA over TE.  Yeah I've been saying in a few posts that we can't plan mocks around Sweat being there, or even starting a rookie at either spot.  They may win the job, but you need at least a below average starter off the market even if you think you're getting a gem in the draft.  I wouldn't rule out a trade for either DT spot, especially with the comp pick. 

If they don't think Reader will be ready for the start of the season with high confidence, someone like Teair Tart might make sense to add as a veteran stopgap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'll take the under at 300 yards receiving.
He hasn't been good for over 2 years.
I was excited at first and then I looked up his stats.

Meh. Where's the real tight end?
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
For gosh sakes, Pally. Fix the title with the proper spelling of Gesicki.

Edit: Ok. Fixed now.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Another solid signing. Makes the TE position stronger and Gesicki can play Slot WR as well as pass catching TE. Was good on the 
Dolphins and had to play with Mac Jones last year who was terrible. I think Gesicki should have a bounce back year here as he is 
even better than Hudson who also liked, but this is an upgrade.

I seem to recall telling you this would be my pick for a TE last year.  Cool Better a year late than never. 

I think he'll be solid, and that's what is needed at the position, and I hope they draft his replacement. Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: I seem to recall telling you this would be my pick for a TE last year.  Cool Better a year late than never. 

I think he'll be solid, and that's what is needed at the position, and I hope they draft his replacement. Wink

Yes sir Wyche, I remember. Gesicki is an upgrade for sure and since we only have him on a 1 year deal I think we will be drafting his 
replacement as well. Give me Ben Sinnott, Theo Johnson or Cade Stover for the future, in the meantime Gesicki can tear up the middle
of the field this year for us.
Reply/Quote
My big question on this signing.... is whether Mike Gesicki is only signing with the Bengals so Ja'marr can teach him how to Griddy correctly?

He had that appalling griddy in Miami... he figured he'd go to NE and learn off of Mac Jones... not a great move.

He's now ironing that all out by coming here to learn from the best.

In all seriousness, I feel better about the TE group than I did last year. Good move this one imo.
Reply/Quote
MG is more a WR type TE. Not really a guy that's a great blocker.

Will be interesting to see how they use him.

He's the type of TE that they've struggled to use in the past.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 04:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: MG is more a WR type TE. Not really a guy that's a great blocker.

Will be interesting to see how they use him.

He's the type of TE that they've struggled to use in the past.

He is honestly a lot like Dalton Kincaid who evidently we were wanting in the 1st last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:03 PM)pally Wrote:

The Irv Smith Jr experiment was a bust.  He didn't pan out with Vikings and he did little here.  I think Bengals had him to a one year contract to see if he would fit in, and he did not.  So a TE was needed, and so now Bengals add this Penn State TE who has played for Miami and New England.  Hopefully he is more like adding Hurst in 2022 than adding Smith in 2023.

I hope Bengals would stick with a good TE when they get one.  I liked Hurst a lot.  I thought he gave us a Kelce or Kittle type TE.   Geseki makes 4 TE changes in 4 years.  I do not think the revolving door of TE each year is the way.  I do not see Chiefs or 49ers changing TE each year.  If this Geseki does great, I hope Bengals keep him and are not back looking for TE every single off season. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote