Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals signing TE Mike Gesicki
Smart move by Gesicki grabbing the chance to catch the ball from Burrow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Season high was 36 yards in a game last year. And his receiving is his only strong suit. There were multiple better options out there.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: For gosh sakes, Pally. Fix the title with the proper spelling of Gesicki.

I went ahead and edited the title with the spelling you provided, as not all members are aware of how to edit thread titles. Typically we don't hammer each other too hard over spelling errors, but I went ahead and fixed it since he is a brand new member of the Bengals.  In Pally's defense, the way she spelled it was the same way Shefty had spelled on the twix account posting.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 06:47 PM)kevin Wrote: The Irv Smith Jr experiment was a bust.  He didn't pan out with Vikings and he did little here.  I think Bengals had him to a one year contract to see if he would fit in, and he did not.  So a TE was needed, and so now Bengals add this Penn State TE who has played for Miami and New England.  Hopefully he is more like adding Hurst in 2022 than adding Smith in 2023.

I hope Bengals would stick with a good TE when they get one.  I liked Hurst a lot.  I thought he gave us a Kelce or Kittle type TE.   Geseki makes 4 TE changes in 4 years.  I do not think the revolving door of TE each year is the way.  I do not see Chiefs or 49ers changing TE each year.  If this Geseki does great, I hope Bengals keep him and are not back looking for TE every single off season. 

Sure, but if Gesicki does well, he probably moves on to greener pastures. He got over 10 million one year for Miami. He's getting a maximum of 3.25 million for the Bengals. If he does well, he will move on like Hurst and Uzomah. Bengals need to get a good TE on a rookie contract. 
Reply/Quote
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 07:08 PM)Nepa Wrote: Sure, but if Gesicki does well, he probably moves on to greener pastures. He got over 10 million one year for Miami. He's getting a maximum of 3.25 million for the Bengals. If he does well, he will move on like Hurst and Uzomah. Bengals need to get a good TE on a rookie contract. 

That (bolded) is true, but that doesn't mean that the Bengals aren't genuinely interested in keeping Gesicki around, either.  This could be a "prove it" deal, and if things go well they may be conducive to signing him to a better paying 2-3 year deal.  He's only what, 28?  It's not like he's a RB with 150K miles on the tires.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Just remember Gesicki had Mac Jones throwing to him at New England. Having Joe Burrow throwing is a whole different world.
Reply/Quote
Solid pick up and not saying the Bengals don't draft a TE still if the right one is there but they don't have to reach now if the right opportunity does not present itself either. Plus keeps their hand hidden on draft day at this position.

Revolving door ? Possibly, but with all the holes that need filled that may be necessary too. Think it gives the Bengals flexibility and like it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 07:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Just remember Gesicki had Mac Jones throwing to him at New England. Having Joe Burrow throwing is a whole different world.

How that go with Irv Smith?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 07:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How that go with Irv Smith?

Irv was the problem.
Reply/Quote

Unfair comparison. Irv Smith couldn't get open, something that Gesicki thrives at. Irv Smith was the worst TE on our roster last year.
Reply/Quote
I feel he has the most talent of any TE we signed hated Irv Smith wasn't crazy about Hurst either was more of a product of Burrow.
Reply/Quote

Not sure Irv ever had a healthy JB throwing to him. But in his 2 healthy years he got Uzomah and Hurst 2 of the best years in their careers. 

If you were a TE would you rather Zappe/ Jones throwing to you or Joe Burrow? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

In my opinion, Irv Smith Jr. ruined a great opportunity last year.  He could have picked his career back up, but instead he came out looking lost, showing little in the way of heart/effort. Unless Kelce goes down, chances are that he never sees the field in KC.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You can even line Gesicki up where Boyd did and have Sample out there to protect as well. Gesicki gives us versatility.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 08:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure Irv ever had a healthy JB throwing to him. But in his 2 healthy years he got Uzomah and Hurst 2 of the best years in their careers. 

If you were a TE would you rather Zappe/ Jones throwing to you or Joe Burrow? 

was a bit of a joke.. maybe he can help in the one area of weakness of late with Burrow and Zac is getting to TE down the field, we have not been good.. Hurst was ineffective down the field and nothing much this past season until Hodson with Browning..
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 07:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Just remember Gesicki had Mac Jones throwing to him at New England. Having Joe Burrow throwing is a whole different world.

Yep, he wasn't bad in Miami.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In my opinion, Irv Smith Jr. ruined a great opportunity last year.  He could have picked his career back up, but instead he came out looking lost, showing little in the way of heart/effort. Unless Kelce goes down, chances are that he never sees the field in KC.

He might just be a bust.
Reply/Quote
Gesicki came to Cincinnati because of the positive things told to him by Teddy Karras and BFF Nick Bowers.

but he also said they could have said it was a horrible place but #9 was worth coming for. JoeyB reached out to him on Tuesday

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 03:27 PM)pally Wrote: Gesicki came to Cincinnati because of the positive things told to him by Teddy Karras and BFF Nick Bowers.

but he also said they could have said it was a horrible place but #9 was worth coming for. JoeyB reached out to him on Tuesday

I thought the response about Burrow was a really interesting note.
Reply/Quote