Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bengals staff limiting playbook to help Joe and his injury.
(09-19-2023, 07:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the playbook has to be limited to accommodate for injury, how effective is the offense really going to be with said limited player?
What's been called so far is so limiting that there's no way it can be effective.
Bengals will need the defense to keep the score low in order to have any chance, as the offense won't do much.
Only 20 offensive points through 2 games.

Great idea to put Burrow in there to start the season. I assumed this would happen or hurt his shoulder from changing his motion. 
Reply/Quote
Tough crowd,

A lot here were saying without JB this team has no chance and then they get angry when it appears the staff devised a way to keep him on the file and give us a chance.

I'm happy to say I was among those who said this team is good enough to win without JB. If he needs to rest I hope he gets it. If he needs to play I hope he does. Unlike many, I'm not a coach/doctor.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 07:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tough crowd,

A lot here were saying without JB this team has no chance and then they get angry when it appears the staff devised a way to keep him on the file and give us a chance.

I'm happy to say I was among those who said this team is good enough to win without JB. If he needs to rest I hope he gets it. If he needs to play I hope he does. Unlike many, I'm not a coach/doctor.

Tough crowd because fans have seen it over and over in all sports. Guy has a tweaked lower body muscle. He ends up tearing it, or in a pitcher or qbs case, changing their motion and developing shoulder issues. 
Reply/Quote
I knew it!

The Pitt game was waaaaay better with the plays we called

Alot of the Cle plays were like the same routes symmetrically. Like If there was an out and a go on one side the other had an out and a go. If i could see that the D HAD to see it

At what point do you just sit Burrow
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 07:50 PM)125250 Wrote: Tough crowd because fans have seen it over and over in all sports. Guy has a tweaked lower body muscle. He ends up tearing it, or in a pitcher or qbs case, changing their motion and developing shoulder issues. 

Fans have also seen what Patrick Mahomes did in the playoffs last year. I'm sure the decision was made with the FO, Player, and training staff all giving their thoughts. Apparently, they should have polled the message board; however, I doubt the results would have been the same today as they would have been 3 weeks ago.

It appears we've been bitten by the injury bug; there's not always someone to blame. Personally, I would have pulled JB at halftime of the Brown's game
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 07:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fans have also seen what Patrick Mahomes did in the playoffs last year. I'm sure the decision was made with the FO, Player, and training staff all giving their thoughts. Apparently, they should have polled the message board; however, I doubt the results would have been the same today as they would have been 3 weeks ago.

It appears we've been bitten by the injury bug; there's not always someone to blame. Personally, I would have pulled JB at halftime of the Brown's game

I have said sit him from the get go when talking to friends. I’ve seen this scenario way too many times. Mahomes was a sprained ankle, plus he is used to throwing from different arm angles. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/19/bengals-dialed-back-playbook-prevent-joe-burrow-injury/

Seems I recall someone on here opining that the playbook wasn't being opened up much due to protecting Joe and his leg. Whoever it was, you can take your bow.

mauahaha.. dont play to win, play to keep him earn his pay it seems.. muahahahahahahahaha typical Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 03:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And defenses have known this and have been playing us that way...

We have been blitzed a shit ton over the first two games. That is by design. Guy is a sitting duck back there.

WAIT!?!  So you're saying that our OLINE is actually playing pretty good?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 07:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tough crowd,

You dont need to be a doctor to see Burrow is injured and limited in what he can do.  Having Burrow out there dinking and dunking and throwing check downs all game long doesnt give us a chance.  Browning or Grier could throw check downs.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 05:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: Shortening the playbook was wise, but what would have been wiser was to expand it with more run fits. They could have done that as soon as Burrow went down in July, and worked on it all through training camp.

Completely agree JJ22. We should of prepared for this, Mixon clearly is not the problem this year and has been playing like the 
RB I hoped to see last year. Why make Burrow throw more than he has to if he is not 100% and agile? Should of adjusted and 
used different run fits as you said as we aren't weak there injury wise. 

(09-19-2023, 06:21 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I get dialing the playbook back, but is it wrong for me to think I didn't see a change in the scheming to make up for Joe's leg?

Not wrong at all Millhouse. It is what the coaches should of done. The playcalling isn't as much the problem as the execution and
not preparing for an injured Burrow. More runs, more Slants, more Play Action etc.

(09-19-2023, 06:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: He got MUCH better as the game wore on Nate. I just finished rewatching it. 

Figured Joe did, thanks Wyche. I saw us down 17-7 in the 2nd quarter and once again playing from behind. To come back and 
make it a 24-27 game against a Lamar ran Offense where he is throwing good out of the pocket certainly isn't bad. Still need to 
watch the game when I have time but I saw a couple dimes Lamar threw that I honestly haven't seen out of him before...

Scared me a bit. There was nothing Chido could do about that one TD. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 07:58 PM)125250 Wrote: I have said sit him from the get go when talking to friends. I’ve seen this scenario way too many times. Mahomes was a sprained ankle, plus he is used to throwing from different arm angles. 

It is strange that you think Burrow doesn't or cannot throw from different arm angles?

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 08:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It is strange that you think Burrow doesn't or cannot throw from different arm angles?

It is also strange to act like all grade 1 calf strains are the same and to act like you knew it all along because of other players getting hurt...

From what all the Doctors were saying, a grade 1 calf strain has a 4 week healing time. Been way longer than that for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 08:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is also strange to act like all grade 1 calf strains are the same and to act like you knew it all along because of other players getting hurt...

From what all the Doctors were saying, a grade 1 calf strain has a 4 week healing time. Been way longer than that for Burrow.

Gotta love the newbies.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 08:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Gotta love the newbies.

Real inventive name he has too lol
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Mahomes injury is a proper comparison. It’s Rodgers who fought through a calf injury for a chunk of the year a couple years back. Or last year.

What he was able to do while playing through it should be the focus.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 08:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It is strange that you think Burrow doesn't or cannot throw from different arm angles?

Anyone can throw it different arm angles. Strange that you think that’s not possible. Also, guys that throw footballs and baseballs hard that aren’t used to do it on a regular basis, end up with arm issues. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 07:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the playbook has to be limited to accommodate for injury, how effective is the offense really going to be with said limited player?
What's been called so far is so limiting that there's no way it can be effective.
Bengals will need the defense to keep the score low in order to have any chance, as the offense won't do much.
Only 20 offensive points through 2 games.

The next option is Browning. I honestly don't get why people are so upset over it. He is the face of the franchise, the guy the whole team is built around, and we've seen the Packers do pretty much the same thing with Rogers a few years ago. I had him in fantasy that year, he was "day to day" every week. If the medical staff clears him, and he says he can go, I don't see how you bench him until you're mathematically eliminated. If it's a much worse injury, then you shut him down. Jmo.
Reply/Quote

Right .... what's being limited are rollouts, and dropbacks from under center. They also didn't go over the middle much against Cleveland because Joe couldn't drive the ball. He looked much better against Baltimore, he was hitting some tight windows. The accuracy was off a little early, and he made the bad read on the INT, but after watching it again, he really played much better Sunday. He looked better too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:22 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don’t think Mahomes injury is a proper comparison. It’s Rodgers who fought through a calf injury for a chunk of the year a couple years back. Or last year.

What he was able to do while playing through it should be the focus.

EXACTLY.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Came out today that a scan on Burrow's calf showed NO muscle damage, ligament damage, bone damage, tears or serious injury. Turns out, it's just an ouchie.... New nickname: Joey Boo-boo
Reply/Quote