Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bengals staff limiting playbook to help Joe and his injury.
better hope they can run the ball (they cant)

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:56 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Came out today that a scan on Burrow's calf showed NO muscle damage, ligament damage, bone damage, tears or serious injury. Turns out, it's just an ouchie.... New nickname: Joey Boo-boo

Ima need a little more than this. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 07:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tough crowd,

A lot here were saying without JB this team has no chance and then they get angry when it appears the staff devised a way to keep him on the file and give us a chance.

I'm happy to say I was among those who said this team is good enough to win without JB. If he needs to rest I hope he gets it. If he needs to play I hope he does. Unlike many, I'm not a coach/doctor.
Also if he was really injured he would not have moved lime he did, this was a low grade calf issue not a calf tear that meant he faced a really chance of blowing his calf out. Sadly the low grade issue is persistent and he reaggravated it which is worrisome since he was not playing well before he aggravated it. It is time to allow Browning to see what he can do and maybe we spark the team to rally around him.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:56 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: better hope they can run the ball (they cant)

Yeah good luck lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:24 PM)125250 Wrote: Anyone can throw it different arm angles. Strange that you think that’s not possible. Also, guys that throw footballs and baseballs hard that aren’t used to do it on a regular basis, end up with arm issues. 

He is a NFL QB, he can throw from any arm angle. He has thrown a million balls a year for the last decade. He is used to throwing hard daily. He is not a pitcher throwing 130 pitches every 5 days with strenuous wrist and elbow action. On game days he will throw maybe 40 passes in 4 hours. Not sure why Im even responding to this silliness.

Reply/Quote
I'm not going to dog the coaching staff out to bad on this issue. They've taken us much further than any staff for decades. Having said that I still can't help but wonder? and many of us said this about the ML era.

Do the players make up for coaching deficiencies? Do they rise above? We've had this debate many times in the past. Is it just the staff not scheming well with the current limitations? ZT isn't missing blocks, BC isn't throwing interceptions, so on.

I know for a fact ZT and Co. forget they can still run the ball after halftime. Mixon has 13 carries total in both our games thus far. Should Borrow really be trying to throw 40+ times a game on a bum wheel?

The defense not being able to get off the field isn't helping. Just so many issues.
Reply/Quote
I feel like "limiting" the playbook was the complete opposite approach they should have taken. They should have expanded it knowing that Burrow was limited in what he could do.

More motion, screens, run plays, etc. Add plays in that Joe can run with his limitations.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
A positive perspective is this season really that much different than last. We lost to a mediocre Steeler team Joe usually dominates and Cowboy team playing a backup. Joe I feel does have a little possum element about him everyone saying their dead season is toast like a Brady he feeds off that it drives him. Is this the case I cant completely rule it out.
Reply/Quote
According to Chase, the offense needs to be taking a few deep shots to open up the stuff in between.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 12:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to Chase, the offense needs to be taking a few deep shots to open up the stuff in between.

According to bfine, Chase needs to catch the TD pass that hits him in both hands.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 12:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: According to bfine, Chase needs to catch the TD pass that hits him in both hands.

Chase definitely needs to catch that TD on Rock Ya-Sin. Can’t just say “well dude made a great play.” You expect an elite WR to win that 1-on-1. That said, he’s right that they need to take some more shots. He’s already drawn 2 penalties on plays where they did try even if they aren’t connecting yet.

Reply/Quote
Hopefully, next year when preseason games roll around and someone makes a "what do you want to see?" thread, everyone says "no injuries". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 01:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hopefully, next year when preseason games roll around and someone makes a "what do you want to see?" thread, everyone says "no injuries". 

I would say it's a bit more.

1) All starters actually play a quarter or two worth of one game across all the games.
2) No injuries to those starters.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would say it's a bit more.

1) All starters actually play a quarter or two worth of one game across all the games.
2) No injuries to those starters.

In my experience, a simple "no injuries" usually covers all scenarios.  Hilarious

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 03:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: In my experience, a simple "no injuries" usually covers all scenarios.  Hilarious

I don't think it covers one important scenario with the Bengals though - These starters looked rusty as hell to start the season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Does anyone have a link where anyone of the Bengals staff asserting this?

Seems PD is just "assuming".

Reply/Quote
Will give the Ravens defender credit on breaking up Chase's TD. That back shoulder pass was perfectly timed and a very hard play to defend. Chase did get 2 hands on it so it can be argued he should have caught it and would have thought that would've been his take on it for sure. Yet it was defended well.

Anyway don't fault him for the one play, but he has looked pedestrian so far and needs to quit running his mouth providing chalkboard material to the upcoming opponents.

First 2 games looked as if the Bengals players were trying to force an "I" into the word team.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 12:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to Chase, the offense needs to be taking a few deep shots to open up the stuff in between.

And I agree with him. We're getting blitzed at a monster rate. How many throws of 20+ yards in the air have we tried this season? 4? 

Chuck it down the field some for crying out loud. Put the best blocking RB beside JB and fling it some. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 09:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And I agree with him. We're getting blitzed at a monster rate. How many throws of 20+ yards in the air have we tried this season? 4? 

Chuck it down the field some for crying out loud. Put the best blocking RB beside JB and fling it some. 

Granted, allowing time for deep routes to develop typically requires at least 3 seconds of solid QB protection, it shouldn't be too much to ask for 3 seconds from a professional offensive line.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 09:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And I agree with him. We're getting blitzed at a monster rate. How many throws of 20+ yards in the air have we tried this season? 4? 

Currently, the Bengals have six attempts. This is tied for 17th out of 33 QBs with at least 20 dropbacks. However, Burrow is tied with only Zach Wilson for zero completions on those attempts, worst in the league. This is actually the same exact pace that they had last season - roughly three deep attempts per game. Burrow finished last season with 64 attempts of 20+ yards over the regular season and post-season. 
Reply/Quote