Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bengals staff limiting playbook to help Joe and his injury.
(09-21-2023, 12:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Does anyone have a link where anyone of the Bengals staff asserting this?

Seems PD is just "assuming".

Good point. I could not find anything where any of the Bengals staff were asserting the adjustment of the playbook due to the injury. If you google "bengals playbook burrow injury" there are a lot of articles, but none cite any inside-the-team authority, just comments like "according to Paul Dehner." They authoritatively state "the coaches had limited the playbook," but I don't even see the usual culprits: "according to sources," or "according to officials with the team," etc.

Maybe it is just an assumption based on what was observed. Not necessarily wrong, but it would be nice if Paul Dehner or the other authors of articles, who state things so authoritatively, would tell the public if they have sources or they are just drawing their own conclusions. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 10:38 AM)Nepa Wrote: Good point. I could not find anything where any of the Bengals staff were asserting the adjustment of the playbook due to the injury. If you google "bengals playbook burrow injury" there are a lot of articles, but none cite any inside-the-team authority, just comments like "according to Paul Dehner." They authoritatively state "the coaches had limited the playbook," but I don't even see the usual culprits: "according to sources," or "according to officials with the team," etc.

Maybe it is just an assumption based on what was observed. Not necessarily wrong, but it would be nice if Paul Dehner or the other authors of articles, who state things so authoritatively, would tell the public if they have sources or they are just drawing their own conclusions. 

The only thing I could find stated by staff was a quote from Zac and it isn't really an answer:

https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-taylor-post-game-quotes-transcripts-week-2-2023-season-baltimore-ravens

Quote:Has Joe's health limited the playbook at all?

"I thought this week we were in really great shape."

But I agree with others it did look like they were being a bit limited with the play calling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 10:52 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: The only thing I could find stated by staff was a quote from Zac and it isn't really an answer:

https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-taylor-post-game-quotes-transcripts-week-2-2023-season-baltimore-ravens

But I agree with others it did look like they were being a bit conservative with the play calling.

Seems like I remember the broadcasters playing a montage of plays where Joe was getting rid of the ball in just over 2.5 seconds, mostly short dinks and dunks, in an effort to illustrate how adept Joe is at performing under extreme pressure.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 05:24 PM)Whacked Wrote: I said their play-calling is scheming is grade-school level at best and severely lacks any creativity.

Does that count?

still fits whats going on so YES
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 10:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Currently, the Bengals have six attempts. This is tied for 17th out of 33 QBs with at least 20 dropbacks. However, Burrow is tied with only Zach Wilson for zero completions on those attempts, worst in the league. This is actually the same exact pace that they had last season - roughly three deep attempts per game. Burrow finished last season with 64 attempts of 20+ yards over the regular season and post-season. 

In the last game, despite the lack of connectivity on the long throws, Mixon was able to come up with a pair of "splash" plays, both of which I think went for over 20yds and put the ball firmly in Baltimore territory.  It was just unfortunate that neither time were the Bengals able to build off of those plays and push the ball into the endzone.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 10:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Currently, the Bengals have six attempts. This is tied for 17th out of 33 QBs with at least 20 dropbacks. However, Burrow is tied with only Zach Wilson for zero completions on those attempts, worst in the league. This is actually the same exact pace that they had last season - roughly three deep attempts per game. Burrow finished last season with 64 attempts of 20+ yards over the regular season and post-season. 

Didn't think there were that many, huh? 

But at any rate I feel we've become way to imbedded in the dink and dunk game. We've got to switch it up some, IMHO. Stretch the field some and give em something to think about.

And for the love of gawd stop with the 4 running attempts total after halftime. That's not a looked up stat but it sure seems we've ran the ball very, very little in the 2nd half of both games. 

In my mind we've made it way to easy on opposing D's. They know what's coming
Reply/Quote

Thanks KillerGoose. Good stuff, I hope things just need to get ironed out like last season. If what I am hearing is true, Burrow 
should be ready to go Monday night and hopefully the wins start to come then. I agree with Bengalfan74 as usual though, need 
to scare Defenses a little more with some deep shots and we cannot abandon the run after halftime like we have been just cause
we are trailing. Mixon has played well and the OL has opened up holes for him.

Things are not all bad right now as long as we wake the frick up.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 01:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks KillerGoose. Good stuff, I hope things just need to get ironed out like last season. If what I am hearing is true, Burrow 
should be ready to go Monday night and hopefully the wins start to come then. I agree with Bengalfan74 as usual though, need 
to scare Defenses a little more with some deep shots and we cannot abandon the run after halftime like we have been just cause
we are trailing. Mixon has played well and the OL has opened up holes for him.

Things are not all bad right now as long as we wake the frick up.

starting in the Division 0-2 is bad.   They have time to turn it around but a few more losses and it will be hard to catch up
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 10:38 AM)Nepa Wrote: Good point. I could not find anything where any of the Bengals staff were asserting the adjustment of the playbook due to the injury. If you google "bengals playbook burrow injury" there are a lot of articles, but none cite any inside-the-team authority, just comments like "according to Paul Dehner." They authoritatively state "the coaches had limited the playbook," but I don't even see the usual culprits: "according to sources," or "according to officials with the team," etc.

I like to think that the author of that initial article read my post and just ran with it as a true fact.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Do you know where the Bengals are for 10-19 air yards? 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 05:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Do you know where the Bengals are for 10-19 air yards? 

Yep. 10th overall with 16 attempts. Here is a distribution graph comparing the Bengals air yardage this year to the Bengals first two weeks last year. The vertical axis is messed up and won't do what I want, so I stopped messing with it.

[Image: tFtB4Xh.png]

The Bengals have pushed the ball further down the field so far in the early weeks than they did last year but don't have as many attempts in that mid-range. Their passes behind the LOS are roughly the same but significantly less short throws. This has worked to a roughly equal air yards per attempt, 6.1 this year vs. 6.3 last year in the first two weeks. 
Reply/Quote
I would expect it to be even more limited now that he seems in worse physical shape, Browning will probably start and just his ability to run is a huge gain. Give him the same limited playbook and we have a chance if the D shows up.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 04:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I like to think that the author of that initial article read my post and just ran with it as a true fact.  Smirk

Either plagiarism or great minds think alike.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 10:38 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I would expect it to be even more limited now that he seems in worse physical shape, Browning will probably start and just his ability to run is a huge gain. Give him the same limited playbook and we have a chance if the D shows up.

Why would Browning need a limited playbook, he's been here 2 or three years. He knows the playbook.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 12:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why would Browning need a limited playbook, he's been here 2 or three years. He knows the playbook.

He can't throw the same balls as Burrow, bet he has different plays, i.e limited playbook.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 01:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: starting in the Division 0-2 is bad.   They have time to turn it around but a few more losses and it will be hard to catch up

True, but we started out 0-3 in the Division last season and we saw how that turned out...

(09-22-2023, 12:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why would Browning need a limited playbook, he's been here 2 or three years. He knows the playbook.

If anything we can expand the playbook with Browning, he knows this Offense like the back of his hand and isn't injured.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, but we started out 0-3 in the Division last season and we saw how that turned out...

If anything we can expand the playbook with Browning, he knows this Offense like the back of his hand and isn't injured.

I don't think they have the same playbook overall though there are probably Burrow only plays in there lol. I kind of see it as a Steph curry vs. his backup situation, don't think you'll have his backup running around getting open for 3s and giving free reign to shoot them lol. If a play calls for accuracy deep Browning may not throw it/be able to throw it.

What we will see is a lot more scrambling ability, those few first downs burrow makes with his legs are missing and his mobility probably cost us the Ravens game disregarding the INT.

I mean if Browning ran the same limited playbook Burrow did against BAL he may have won because he has mobility.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, but we started out 0-3 in the Division last season and we saw how that turned out...

If Browning plays I hope the Bengals are somewhat aggressive at times in there play calling as crazy as that sounds. The defense is expecting you to run first  lets take a couple deep shots to Chase and move the pocket this kids mobile. Outside of Donald this defense has a lot of unproven guys. I could see Taylor running every first and second down being predictable then you get third and a mile and there's no shot.  Or playing afraid on offense and getting in a 10-0 hole. 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 01:02 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: He can't throw the same balls as Burrow, bet he has different plays, i.e limited playbook.

Who told you that? Burrow has a weak arm and small hands, remember?
Reply/Quote

Didn’t Lamar Jackson miss five games last year? 
Reply/Quote