Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals superbowl
It seems like your defense has been very tough for almost a decade. I think keeping Dalton healthy is huge. If he stays healthy and your D is like it was in 2013 you are Super Bowl bound.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 11:10 AM)packerbacker Wrote: It seems like your defense has been very tough for almost a decade. I think keeping Dalton healthy is huge. If he stays healthy and your D is like it was in 2013 you are Super Bowl bound.

There is zero rational or plausibility in this comment. 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 09:27 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The Bills were 10th in ppg and the Eagles were 16th, so 3/8 teams were in the top 50% last year. The defense did play very well at the end of the year last year. Yeah, they didn't play a lot of great offensive teams, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that they only allowed an average of 18.5 ppg over that span (which would have been 4th in the league if they did that throughout the whole year).

I used Total Offense - not PPG    

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 06:10 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: The bengals lost to the pats by 18 last year - they got dominated. 

Brady threw for 375 yards  

Have not won at Foxboro since 1986

How can we 'hang with the pats?'

We got dominated in the 2nd half by their TE's and RB's beating our Linebackers who were under a first year
coach and Dansby clearly fell off. Adding Minter should help us in this aspect immensely, Vigil as well who can
cover. We were leading in that game at one point, we can hang with the Pats and we have beat them before
with a much less talented team and Peko and Maualuga on board who were our weaknesses.

Billings and Minter should really push this Defense over the top.

(07-25-2017, 09:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am curious why you did not also go look up how they fared the first 8 games. Maybe because they played teams like the Steelers twice and the Pats and that would counter your negativity??

Sounds like he likes to say whatever suits him at the time, kind of like another poster that has always been on here.

Our schedule early last year was beyond brutal.
Reply/Quote
Normally, I'd say that 1st year starters like Billing and Vigil might have trouble adapting...but the players they're replacing weren't great so there is a chance for an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 11:46 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: I used Total Offense - not PPG    

Points per game is a better indicator of offensive power than yards per game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 12:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Normally, I'd say that 1st year starters like Billing and Vigil might have trouble adapting...but the players they're replacing weren't great so there is a chance for an upgrade.

Yeah, i could see these guys needing a little time but Billings just has to be as good as Peko early on which shouldn't
be unlikely. Vigil played a little bit as a rookie and got his feet somewhat wet.

(07-25-2017, 01:14 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Points per game is a better indicator of offensive power than yards per game.

Sure is.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 01:14 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Points per game is a better indicator of offensive power than yards per game.

Doesn't PPG include ST and defensive TDs?
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 01:43 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Doesn't PPG include ST and defensive TDs?

Yeah, but other than FGs how often does a defense and ST score points? Vary rarely.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 02:49 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yeah, but other than FGs how often does a defense and ST score points? Vary rarely.

Well - 1.5 FGs per game and say 3 other TDs per year from Defense or ST

that's 6 PPG

Ill take total yards. its a better and more used stat to rank offenses. 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 02:52 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Well - 1.5 FGs per game and say 3 other TDs per year from Defense or ST

that's 6 PPG

Ill take total yards. its a better and more used stat to rank offenses. 

The majority of the time you get into field goal range is because of your offense. That's the majority of your 6 PPG. PPG is by far the best way to rank offenses. You can get a lot of garbage time yards or can get into the redzone and not be able to score. Last year we were 13th in total yards, and 23rd in PPG. Do you think we were the 13th best offense in the league? If you do then you're admitting that Dalton is easily in the top 10 since the majority of the year he had no weapons, and a horrible OL all year.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 11:47 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Thank you and I am a strong supporter of the Packers as one of my favorite teams outside of Bengals.. do you have season tickets to the Packers ??  I am debating maybe trying to make the game in GB this year... I am sure tickets are hard to come by and are expensive but I am going to look into it at least. 

You for sure should go! Been once and it was my favorite place out of the 5 i've been too (by far). I'm planning on going this year with my little brother who's a packer fan.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 02:59 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The majority of the time you get into field goal range is because of your offense. That's the majority of your 6 PPG. PPG is by far the best way to rank offenses. You can get a lot of garbage time yards or can get into the redzone and not be able to score. Last year we were 13th in total yards, and 23rd in PPG. Do you think we were the 13th best offense in the league? If you do then you're admitting that Dalton is easily in the top 10 since the majority of the year he had no weapons, and a horrible OL all year.

Exactly and the team that scores the most points wins, not the team with the most yardage for heck sake.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 02:59 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The majority of the time you get into field goal range is because of your offense. That's the majority of your 6 PPG. PPG is by far the best way to rank offenses. You can get a lot of garbage time yards or can get into the redzone and not be able to score. Last year we were 13th in total yards, and 23rd in PPG. Do you think we were the 13th best offense in the league? If you do then you're admitting that Dalton is easily in the top 10 since the majority of the year he had no weapons, and a horrible OL all year.

Lol - Delusion 

Bengals were 15th in passing yards

13th in Rushing 

So, using your logic Hill/Rex was a top 10 backfield too.  

Dalton was 20th in TQBR - Get it?
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 03:26 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Lol - Delusion 

Bengals were 15th in passing yards

13th in Rushing 

So, using your logic Hill/Rex was a top 10 backfield too.  

Dalton was 20th in TQBR - Get it?

That's not my logic, it's yours. You're the one who's trying to say yards > points LOL! It's sad when you have to resort to QBR. I don't know anyone who takes that stat seriously. So, which is it? Our offense being the 13th best in the league, making Dalton a shoo-in for the top 10, or PPG is a better indicator on how well a offense preformed. BTW our run game was 23rd in yards per attempt, and our pass game was 10th in yards per attempt.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 11:45 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: There is zero rational or plausibility in this comment. 

Well what I'm trying to say is you guys would have killed Pittsburgh had you had Dalton healthy 2 years ago. Even with McCaron you won the game basically but Jeremy Hill lost it for you. Bengals win that game and they could go deep in the playoffs. Also if Palmer doesn't get hurt in 2005 that could have been a Superbowl team. I enjoy seeing you guys win and hope you can break this playoff curse soon.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 03:30 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: That's not my logic, it's yours. You're the one who's trying to say yards > points LOL! It's sad when you have to resort to QBR. I don't know anyone who takes that stat seriously. So, which is it? Our offense being the 13th best in the league, making Dalton a shoo-in for the top 10, or PPG is a better indicator on how well a offense preformed. BTW our run game was 23rd in yards per attempt, and our pass game was 10th in yards per attempt.

Wait, you made the conclusion that because the bengals offense was 13th in total yards, that by default, dalton then had to be a top 10 Qb.  You made that up, based on nothing. His Passer Rating was 15th n the NFL and his QBR was 20th.    Haha, but magically in your eyes, He's a top 10 QB, (But this doesn't apply to the run game)

We were talking about the Bengals soft schedule in the second half, thus catapulting their defensive numbers after the bye. 

You made this about dalton. For some reason - still wondering why. 

Total Yards is a solid metric of offense, and the Bengals did not have a very bad offense last year. 

They missed a ton of FGs and PATS,   They moved the ball well between the 20's - Bad at FGs and scoring TDs in the RZ

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Anyway, the point, which you missed,  The Bengals played a soft offensive schedule in the final 8 games.  That is why they looked so good. 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 07:58 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Well what I'm trying to say is you guys would have killed Pittsburgh had you had Dalton healthy 2 years ago. Even with McCaron you won the game basically but Jeremy Hill lost it for you. Bengals win that game and they could go deep in the playoffs. Also if Palmer doesn't get hurt in 2005 that could have been a Superbowl team. I enjoy seeing you guys win and hope you can break this playoff curse soon.

I would argue it was also due to boneheaded penalties late in the game, a true team loss, not just Hill.  But, let's not fight that battle again.

For me, 2005 will always be the one that got away.  If we had won, we would have went to Denver, and I don't know about our chances there.  Haven't a had a lot of luck there over the years (hello, Christmas Eve 2006).  But, at least the damn playoff loss streak would have been snapped.  Sad that it seems like such an unobtainable thing at this point.

Oh, and go Lions   Tongue
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 08:45 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I would argue it was also due to boneheaded penalties late in the game, a true team loss, not just Hill.  But, let's not fight that battle again.

For me, 2005 will always be the one that got away.  If we had won, we would have went to Denver, and I don't know about our chances there.  Haven't a had a lot of luck there over the years (hello, Christmas Eve 2006).  But, at least the damn playoff loss streak would have been snapped.  Sad that it seems like such an unobtainable thing at this point.

Oh, and go Lions   Tongue

Why would you say Go Lions?
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 08:21 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Wait, you made the conclusion that because the bengals offense was 13th in total yards, that by default, dalton then had to be a top 10 Qb.  You made that up, based on nothing. His Passer Rating was 15th n the NFL and his QBR was 20th.    Haha, but magically in your eyes, He's a top 10 QB, (But this doesn't apply to the run game)

We were talking about the Bengals soft schedule in the second half, thus catapulting their defensive numbers after the bye. 

You made this about dalton. For some reason - still wondering why. 

Total Yards is a solid metric of offense, and the Bengals did not have a very bad offense last year. 

They missed a ton of FGs and PATS,   They moved the ball well between the 20's - Bad at FGs and scoring TDs in the RZ

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Anyway, the point, which you missed,  The Bengals played a soft offensive schedule in the final 8 games.  That is why they looked so good. 

I didn't base that Dalton is a top 10 QB on nothing. The Bengals were 13th in yards, and you said that yards were the best way to see how good an offense was. There were no standout weapons that played more than 8 games last year on offense. For a lot of the year Dalton had only new targets. Mostly rookies, or first year starters / LaFell who never played with Dalton before. The running game was 23rd in yards per attempt, which YPA is a huge indicator on how good your running game is. So by your logic if the Bengals offense was around 13th last year then Dalton was easily a top 10 QB considering he had no weapons or OL.

The Bengals schedule wasn't that soft the 2nd half of the season. It wasn't strong by any means, but I would say it was about average compared to the rest of the league. Almost half of the teams they faced in the second half were in the top half of the league in scoring offense. I'm not worried about the defense at all. They were good last year, and they will improve this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they are in the top 5 next year.
Reply/Quote