Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals vs Steelers
Here are some crazy numbers:

From 1991 to 2002 when the Bengals were terrible, they were 6-18 vs the Steelers.

Since Marvin has got here, we're 8-22 vs the Steelers.

Why do the Steelers have our number?
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 02:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here are some crazy numbers:

From 1991 to 2002 when the Bengals were terrible, they were 6-18 vs the Steelers.

Marv is a Steeler fan. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Marv is a Steeler fan. Ninja

Beat me to it!  Cool

But seriously, simply put: the Bengals are intimidated by the steelers. Always have been under Marv for some reason. Even during their down year (2013) they still found ways to absolutely embarrass us. They just seem to have our number, even with a less-than-stellar head coach in Mike Tomlin. I'm not certain of the reason (I've offered a somewhat drunken theory in another recent thread), but I'm certain that it won't change until Marv is gone. 
Reply/Quote
I think Tomlin > Lewis.

It's just interesting that with our terrible rosters of the 1990's...we're basically playing the same against the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 02:49 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Beat me to it!  Cool

But seriously, simply put: the Bengals are intimidated by the steelers. Always have been under Marv for some reason. Even during their down year (2013) they still found ways to absolutely embarrass us. They just seem to have our number, even with a less-than-stellar head coach in Mike Tomlin. I'm not certain of the reason (I've offered a somewhat drunken theory in another recent thread), but I'm certain that it won't change until Marv is gone. 

Burfict isn't intimidated by the Steelers at all, i will say that.

If anything it is the other way around. The more i look back at it we should of kept Reggie and let Adam go but hindsight is 20/20.

Reggie Nelson was a Stiller killer.

But you are correct overall we have definately been owned by these bastids under Marv, it sucks man. No other coach would be kept
around if you suck this bad against your arch rivals. Unacceptable, hope Marv is gone after this year. Even if we just move Guenther
to HC that would be better than Marv who doesn't know how to adjust in the game at all.

Edit: And Marv is a Steeler fan, get him the **** out.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 9eeac72c4727c99b8f250dae41119449.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 03:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Burfict isn't intimidated by the Steelers at all, i will say that.

If anything it is the other way around. The more i look back at it we should of kept Reggie and let Adam go but hindsight is 20/20.

Reggie Nelson was a Stiller killer.

But you are correct overall we have definately been owned by these bastids under Marv, it sucks man. No other coach would be kept
around if you suck this bad against your arch rivals. Unacceptable, hope Marv is gone after this year. Even if we just move Guenther
to HC that would be better than Marv who doesn't know how to adjust in the game at all.

Friggin love Reggie Nelson. He was always a beast at least 2 games a year. He was like death to the steelers. All he had to do was touch them and they laid on the ground and didn't get back up. You're right. Marvin is a Steelers fan. I bet you he goes to some of their games and is a VIP member in their fan club (However under the alias name of Judas Iscariot).

Reply/Quote
These ridiculous numbers and Marv's unprecedented poor record in playoff games should have resulted in his discharge no later than after the last playoff game loss to Steelers.

Really beyond the pale that he is still the Bengals head coach.
Reply/Quote
Bengals definitely haven't played well against the Steelers in the Marvin era, and that should fall on Marvin at least a little bit. However, comparing the record from the 90s to that after Marvin, I think we haven't seen any changes simply because while the Bengals got better under Marvin, the Steelers improved at QB, going from Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox pre-Marvin to that guy from Findlay, OH post-Marvin. I think that's the main reason why there hasn't been much of a difference in the pre and post marvin records.

Also I think early in the Marvin era, their bend but don't break defense couldn't stop the Steelers' running game, and once they started to get their D in shape, the Steelers had a veteran QB who had won a couple super bowls and the offense was designed to go through him.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 03:16 PM)bengals67 Wrote: These ridiculous numbers and Marv's unprecedented poor record in playoff games should have resulted in his discharge no later than after the last playoff game loss to Steelers.

And there is another thread where Peko said the Bengals are focused on trying to win 1 playoff game while other teams have aspirations of a championship...and people disagree.

You hit the nail on the head...the Bengals are the only team in the NFL that would keep their HC under such circumstances.
Reply/Quote
At least we've done well against the Ravens lately.

I do hate those friggin Steelers though.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 03:24 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Bengals definitely haven't played well against the Steelers in the Marvin era, and that should fall on Marvin at least a little bit.  However, comparing the record from the 90s to that after Marvin, I think we haven't seen any changes simply because while the Bengals got better under Marvin, the Steelers improved at QB, going from Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox pre-Marvin to that guy from Findlay, OH post-Marvin.  I think that's the main reason why there hasn't been much of a difference in the pre and post marvin records.

While the Steelers have had the better QB, can you honestly say that from a talent perspective that the Steelers roster should beat the Bengals 3 out of every 4 times?

I would say that the Steelers generally have a better roster...but not that much better. In fact, even when we have a better record, the Steelers generally dominate us.

To put things in perspective, the Steelers dominance over us is very similar to our dominance over the Browns.
Reply/Quote
I hate the Steelers more than anything, but our terrible record against them is because they are better than us and have been for many many many years.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure that what the Steelers are allowed to get away with against has nothing to do with it either. Disagree? Look at the last playoff game and then dispute that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 02:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here are some crazy numbers:

Even better is that Marvin has only beat the Steelers twice in Cincinnati. 91-02 saw us beat the Steelers 3 times in Cincy.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 03:16 PM)bengals67 Wrote: These ridiculous numbers and Marv's unprecedented poor record in playoff games should have resulted in his discharge no later than after the last playoff game loss to Steelers.

Look at it this way and maybe you will understand the Mike & Marvin relationship. It's as if Marvin is the spouse and continues to cheat on him and disappoint him. However, Mike is in love with him and thinks there can never be another ass bandit to make him happy like he does. Therefore, instead of ending it, he accepts his failures and holds onto him tightly. Plus, in Ohio, Mike would owe him alimony 1 for every 3 seasons which would have him paying Marvin alimony for 5yrs. Therefore, instead of ending the marriage and face the stress of life alone at the age of 82, he feels he must keep him or else die a lonely man.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 03:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While the Steelers have had the better QB, can you honestly say that from a talent perspective that the Steelers roster should beat the Bengals 3 out of every 4 times?

I would say that the Steelers generally have a better roster...but not that much better. In fact, even when we have a better record, the Steelers generally dominate us.

To put things in perspective, the Steelers dominance over us is very similar to our dominance over the Browns.

I also added a few things to my original post in an edit.  But I see things like this:  until the Bengals started getting stouter on defense, the Steelers were able to run the ball an d play ball control taking the air out of Carson's football (except for 2009, which still was a bit flukey).  Around the time the Bengals' D started growing in prominence, around 2012 or so, they still had a young QB and offense overall, figuring out how to play the Steelers.  It still doesn't explain the 3 out of 4 edge in the Dalton era, but it feels like the games are much more competitive than even the Palmer years simply because the Bengals defense for the most part seems to keep the games close.  It's strange to see the dominance when considering the talent level on both teams.  I don't see any major weaknesses on the Bengals team (maybe a slightly sub par run defense) that explains the record.  At least with the Bengals' dominance over the Ravens, you could see that the Ravens D just didn't have answers for A.J and Flacco always has a mental block against the Bengals' pass defense (combined with the fact that the Ravens have never had any WRs that struck fear in the Bengals' pass defense).  It's also weird how the Steelers have not dominated the Ravens considering the talent differences, but maybe that has to do with the Ravens run defense holding strong against the Steelers, and Flacco not having problems throwing against the Steeler zone.
Reply/Quote
In my honest opinion, we worry to much about what Pittsburgh is doing. I don't recall us ever running the ball down their throats, but Marvin insists that is the way to beat to beat them. I do not like his approach of winning the game at the end of the 4th quarter. We just need to come out, foot on the gas, play our game and forget all the extra crap after the whistle.
Reply/Quote
I see the problem as the Steelers resign their good players and the Bengals lose theirs to free agency. Until we fix that, we will be second fiddle to the Steelers IMO.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The steelers know that all they have to do is stay within striking distance and they will have a chance to win in the end. The bengals pucker factor is real vs shitsburg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote