Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals waive Fred Johnson
(03-22-2022, 12:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: Assuming everyone else just goes to pieces overnight he still may be..  Nervous

Fred Johnson on Sunday at family diner:  "Mama, with that new $2.4M contract I'm gonna buy you the house you deserve"

Fred Johnson on Tuesday:  "Uhh, Mama..."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fred Johnson on Sunday at family diner:  "Mama, with that new $2.4M contract I'm gonna buy you the house you deserve"

Ehhh..They still all make enough to buy their mama's a new house even if they just sit on the bench at league minimum.. It's still more money than most of us see in a lifetime.. or darn close anyway.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
He was too late for the squad that was lucky enough to have featured

3 Johnsons and a Big Willie

or he may have stuck

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 12:39 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Signing Ogunjobi and Spain with that freed up cap space would make me happy.We all know what Ogunjobi is capable of,and he knows the defense.Signing Spain eliminates that big fat question mark at LG.I like the way they have re-built this OL so far,but to spend all that money building this OL,and then leaving a big potential weakness at LG is concerning.Spain is a proven solid Vet that knows the Offense.Of course he’d have to earn it.If one of the younger prospects do step up next year and earn the LG position,then that’s just all the better.Of course,best case scenario is signing J C Tretter,in which,you would not only improve at the Center position,but it would also solve the issue at LG by moving Karras over to LG.

The thing about Spain is he can fill in on four spots on the line in case of injury. I feel he's a must re-sign.
Reply/Quote
I think they resigned Fred after the cut.  Most likely well under the 2.4M RFA tender.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The thing about Spain is he can fill in on four spots on the line in case of injury. I feel he's a must re-sign.

Spain is not really a viable OT option. I mean, he volunteered to do it in an emergency situation. Plus, Smith, Carman, & Adeniji have OG/OT versatility as well.  

Having a 3rd guy who can play C would ease my mind more. 

Still  he is a better player than Carman was last year. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:18 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Spain is not really a viable OT option. I mean, he volunteered to do it in an emergency situation. Plus, Smith, Carman, & Adeniji have OG/OT versatility as well.  

I feel the Cincinnati Bengals staff is higher on Carman than the fans are at the moment. 

I know everyone is suspecting the Bengals to draft defense and I still think they go corner with the first pick, but I do think they need a lot of depth along that o line.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:18 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Spain is not really a viable OT option. I mean, he volunteered to do it in an emergency situation. Plus, Smith, Carman, & Adeniji have OG/OT versatility as well.  

You realize he was a tackle in college. He knows how to play the position, which is why he did well there the one game he was pressed to do so.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 11:23 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not that surprising since giving $2.43m for a guy who was a healthy scratch most of the year was actually the more confusing move. Might be able to get Riley Reiff backing up both your T spots for just about $1.57m more.

Fine with me if Reiff's ankle is okay. Really like Riley as a locker room presence for the young guys and maybe if he is just an
emergency backup he can stay healthy. Spain played good in the regular season for us as a starter so would be fine with bringing
him back as well in case Carman isn't ready to start. I am thinking Carman wins the LG spot though over Spain.

Good depth is a great thing to have, both Reiff (if healthy) and Spain could provide very good depth.
Reply/Quote
If you want insurance and depth, Joe's worth it, draft Tyler Smith.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I feel the Cincinnati Bengals staff is higher on Carman than the fans are at the moment. 

I know everyone is suspecting the Bengals to draft defense and I still think they go corner with the first pick, but I do think they need a lot of depth along that o line.

I'm pretty high on Carman's upside in terms of potential, but recognize he has a low floor as well.  Lots of guys check the boxes physically but ultimately can't or won't realize their full potential.  He has a lot of technique work that he needs to put in, but possesses massive upside.  I hope he's the type of guy who is willing to put in the work.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You realize he was a tackle in college. He knows how to play the position, which is why he did well there the one game he was pressed to do so.

Well, he played tackle in college, got switched to guard in college, and has been a guard almost exclusively in the pros. If not totally.

Carman played OT 4 years in collge. More and more recent OT experience than Spain. Adeniji played OT in college and has played OT for us. Smith was an OT in college. 

6 guys on the team have more and more recent OT experience than Spain. If we sign him, it is to compete for LG and provide veteran cover at guard if Carman beats him out. His (in) ability to play tackle has nothing to do with it. The only place that is going on is in your head. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think they resigned Fred after the cut.  Most likely well under the 2.4M RFA tender.

That works too

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:41 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: I'm pretty high on Carman's upside in terms of potential, but recognize he has a low floor as well.  Lots of guys check the boxes physically but ultimately can't or won't realize their full potential.  He has a lot of technique work that he needs to put in, but possesses massive upside.  I hope he's the type of guy who is willing to put in the work.  
I don't have the link but somebody was reviewing PFF scores for guards drafted in the last 3 years and it seems that the best guard in the NFL as a rookie was rated just about 70 and the rest was way below that. So it's concluded that it takes two to three years for rookies to develop
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Also, it seems like the personnel along the offense line is power oriented and if I remember correctly. Carman was good at run blocking
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:05 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Also, it seems like the personnel along the offense line is power oriented and if I remember correctly. Carman was good at run blocking

Yep, Carman is a power Guard no question. 

It was his hand placement at the RG position last year in pass protection that gave him trouble.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fred Johnson on Sunday at family diner:  "Mama, with that new $2.4M contract I'm gonna buy you the house you deserve"

But if he already signed and then they cut him, don't they still have to pay him?

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 12:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, but Fred Johnson was the future..  Ninja

Hehe. Ye.  I remember when we first got him.  Forum peeps were singing his praises coming from a winning program (Steelers).  Eh.  memories.

Someone else posted that La'el came from a winning program too (Dallas). I guess anywhere above .500 is a winning program.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: But if he already signed and then they cut him, don't they still have to pay him?

No, the tender is not guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You realize he was a tackle in college. He knows how to play the position, which is why he did well there the one game he was pressed to do so.

He was TERRIBLE at T in college. He played at UF and I lived through it for 3 years.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote