Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals waive Fred Johnson
(03-22-2022, 02:26 PM)Yogo Wrote: Hehe. Ye.  I remember when we first got him.  Forum peeps were singing his praises coming from a winning program (Steelers).  Eh.  memories.

Someone else posted that La'el came from a winning program too (Dallas).  I guess anywhere above .500 is a winning program.

Dallas is different when it comes to linemen.  They always have a bumper group of big men with talent.  C. Williams being the exception but he was benched and let go at first opportunity - not close to Collins.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:26 PM)Yogo Wrote: Hehe. Ye.  I remember when we first got him.  Forum peeps were singing his praises coming from a winning program (Steelers).  Eh.  memories.

Someone else posted that La'el came from a winning program too (Dallas).  I guess anywhere above .500 is a winning program.

Winning franchises and winning teams are two very different things.
Reply/Quote
With Johnson waived, the Bengals only have 3 listed OTs on their roster:
La'el Collins
Jonah Williams
Isaiah Prince

Carman, Smith, Adeniji, and Cappa are listed as Guards.
Karras and Hill listed as Centers.

I'd expect they'll draft an OT and possibly one more OL to push the depth.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With Johnson waived, the Bengals only have 3 listed OTs on their roster:
La'el Collins
Jonah Williams
Isaiah Prince

I agree with draft picks.  They have the luxury of developing a guy over the next two seasons.  It's the cost effective way.  They need it given the sizable deals coming soon.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With Johnson waived, the Bengals only have 3 listed OTs on their roster:
La'el Collins
Jonah Williams
Isaiah Prince

I could see them drafting Raimann now and I would be fine with it. He is talented and can sit behind La'el for years and learn.

Also this maybe makes Reiff a possibility of coming back if he is healthy or Daryl Williams if he is still available.

Still, D'Ante Smith and Carman can play OT so I don't care what they are listed as.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still, D'Ante Smith and Carman can play OT so I don't care what they are listed as.

This.

But I still would not mind signing another veteran OT. 

Does not have to be anything special to be better than Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I could see them drafting Raimann now and I would be fine with it. He is talented and can sit behind La'el for years and learn.

Also this maybe makes Reiff a possibility of coming back if he is healthy or Daryl Williams if he is still available.

Still, D'Ante Smith and Carman can play OT so I don't care what they are listed as.

Germain Ifedi perfect vet backup, IMO.
Starting experience at both OT and OG.
If Bengals want a versatile veteran for cheaper, he could be one of the better options.
Reiff would be ok too, as he can obviously play both OT positions and also I believe some OG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I could see them drafting Raimann now and I would be fine with it. He is talented and can sit behind La'el for years and learn.

Adeniji started 4 years in college at tackle as well.

Reply/Quote
IMO Smith is an OT only, and Adeniji might never develop strength to play inside.
Reply/Quote
Adeniji should be cut. He can't hold the point and that is basic for a lineman.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 04:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

But I still would not mind signing another veteran OT. 

Does not have to be anything special to be better than Johnson.

True, I am sure there are other options out there better than FJ for us for depth at OT.

I think Carman is going to be starting at LG anyways and D'Ante will be depth behind him and both OT spots.

(03-22-2022, 05:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Germain Ifedi perfect vet backup, IMO.
Starting experience at both OT and OG.
If Bengals want a versatile veteran for cheaper, he could be one of the better options.
Reiff would be ok too, as he can obviously play both OT positions and also I believe some OG.

Oh yeah, keep forgetting about Ifedi. Perfect depth player behind both Cappa and La'el.

(03-22-2022, 05:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Adeniji started 4 years in college at tackle as well.

True, I just didn't speak his name as he has a lot to prove. From what I saw late last season I would just cut the guy.

But hey, he is young, he might be able to gain enough strength to play OT.

(03-22-2022, 05:04 PM)puddycat Wrote: IMO Smith is an OT only, and Adeniji might never develop strength to play inside.

I thought the same about D'Ante until I saw him in preseason playing like a beast at LG. I don't feel that way now.
Reply/Quote
Can someone remind me what Adeniji's injury was before coming off IR this year? I can't remember if its something that could have lingered and affected his play.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 05:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: Adeniji should be cut. He can't hold the point and that is basic for a lineman.

(03-22-2022, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, I just didn't speak his name as he has a lot to prove. From what I saw late last season I would just cut the guy.

I thought the same about D'Ante until I saw him in preseason playing like a beast at LG. I don't feel that way now.

Adeniji looked awful, but like someone in the bldg said, he was coming off injury and trying to play guard. This will be his 3rd season at a very low cost with a lot of experience... I'm reaching here I know, but I see no way they cut him unless he is replaced by a better, cheaper rookie.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 05:30 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Can someone remind me what Adeniji's injury was before coming off IR this year? I can't remember if its something that could have lingered and affected his play.

He injured his chest I think and I think he had to have surgery
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 05:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Adeniji started 4 years in college at tackle as well.

[Image: tenor.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't have the link but somebody was reviewing PFF scores for guards drafted in the last 3 years and it seems that the best guard in the NFL as a rookie was rated just about 70 and the rest was way below that. So it's concluded that it takes two to three years for rookies to develop

No surprise there.

You're fighting in a phone booth against grown ass men who've been around the block and know how to get the upper hand.  It takes time to learn the ropes in such a situation.
Reply/Quote
Sign and insert the Tretter guy in the middle and move Alex...I mean Ted...Karras to the left . Probably won't happen, though, as I think the Bengals are kinda set on Karras at Center. It's a nice thought, however.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't have the link but somebody was reviewing PFF scores for guards drafted in the last 3 years and it seems that the best guard in the NFL as a rookie was rated just about 70 and the rest was way below that. So it's concluded that it takes two to three years for rookies to develop

That's an awfully short window to make that kind of conclusion. Even if you want to stick to the suspiciously short 3 year window, this is almost certainly not everyone, but I am not going to be super thorough....
Michael Onwenu: 84.3
Trey Smith: 72.4
Damien Lewis: 70.2
Elgton Jenkins: 69.2
Quinn Meinerz: 67.4
Alijah Vera-Tucker: 66.8
Ezra Cleveland: 66.2

And of course Quenton Nelson with a 79.7 was just one year before this 3 year window.

Hell, going back a decent bit further but staying with the last 10 years, and being nowhere near thorough, here's some big names... 
Zack Martin: 86.4
Larry Warford: 84.9
Joel Bitonio: 79.3
Ali Marpet: 75.8
Kevin Zeitler: 75.2
Brandon Scherff:74.6
Kyle Long: 70.4

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
With the remaining amout of money we still have under the cap my first choice would be to sign Gilmore. If Gilmore is out, I think signing Tretter would give us the O-line personnel we need and make the O line much better and would be a close 2nd choice. If you sign Tretter, you can focus on defense for most of the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 05:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Adeniji looked awful, but like someone in the bldg said, he was coming off injury and trying to play guard.  This will be his 3rd season at a very low cost with a lot of experience... I'm reaching here I know, but I see no way they cut him unless he is replaced by a better, cheaper rookie.

I am with you, let's see how he does this season.
Reply/Quote