Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals waive Fred Johnson
(03-22-2022, 01:32 PM)Goalpost Wrote: If you want insurance and depth, Joe's worth it, draft Tyler Smith.

If the Bengals DRAFT another Offensive Lineman I think I’m going to throw up.They have plenty of so called young prospects right now that aren’t worth a dime.Bengals obviously don’t have the best of luck when it comes to drafting OL.Just look at their history.When they’re done in Free Agency,then that should be final.

Why waste a draft pick?
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 08:51 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: If the Bengals DRAFT another Offensive Lineman I think I’m going to throw up.They have plenty of so called young prospects right now that aren’t worth a dime.Bengals obviously don’t have the best of luck when it comes to drafting OL.Just look at their history.When they’re done in Free Agency,then that should be final.

Why waste a draft pick?

Silly to assume a pick would be wasted. Especially on guys like Linderbaum, Johnson, and Green, who have high grades from just about everyone.  

Jonah Williams is doing just fine at LT. He's a pick. Carman & Smith had injuries slow them last year, too. As did Adeniji. 

I could easily see bringing back Spain or Reiff if the price is right. But if when we pick, the top rated C in years is on the board (Linderbaum), or the top rated guard this year (Johnson or Green), it is gonna be hard to pass it up. 
Reply/Quote
I was concerned when they signed him thinking "They had better have a better back up plan than this."

This makes me think there's one more signing coming, Rieff maybe? Cutting Adeniji at this point is not necessary as he's still on a 6th round rookie deal. He's already minimal on the salary cap and he has two full seasons of playbook knowledge. Draft someone and let them beat him out. If not? Third year lineman with a chip on his shoulder. Like Joaquin Andujar so famously said "I can sum it up in one word. Youneverknow."
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 08:51 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: If the Bengals DRAFT another Offensive Lineman I think I’m going to throw up.They have plenty of so called young prospects right now that aren’t worth a dime.Bengals obviously don’t have the best of luck when it comes to drafting OL.Just look at their history.When they’re done in Free Agency,then that should be final.

Why waste a draft pick?

There's a possibility that a lineman could get hurt.  There is a possibility that Carman struggles.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The majority of the line is fine.

Starters:

RT- Collins 
RG- Cappa
C- Karras 
LG- Carman 
LT- Williams

Bench:
T- Prince, Adeniji
G- Smith
C- Hill

Practice squad
C - Lamont Gaillard

They're still a G short and a couple practice squad guys but the only real area of need is another good backup G. I don't see how they re-sign Spain unless they're willing to push Carman and to a lesser extend Smith back a spot, or unless Spain is brought back (agrees) that he's starting off behind Carman. I'd prefer they go with Carman and find a cheap(er) option to fill out the roster before they grab a couple guys in the draft. 

There are a few good guys left for their needs, vets and younger guys. 

Ryan Bates. (RFA-visited Vikes and Pats and there are some rumblings that he may sign with Chi after his visit with them)
Ereck Flowers. A previous Bfine mention. Played well with WFT last year. If he doesn't get a starting gig, he's a guy the Bengals should be eyeing.
Trai Turner. Guy people wanted last year. Still <30y/o and our allotment of Trai, Tre, Trea, Trey's is dwindling with the release of one yesterday. Like Flowers, it may come down to him signing as a backup.

EDIT: So, apparently they re-re-signed Fred for 2022? I guess plug him into a backup T and move Adeniji back to G...or ignore everything i just said. 

Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Why waste a draft pick?

Wat?

Are you serial?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 09:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The majority of the line is fine.

Starters:

RT- Collins 
RG- Cappa
C- Karras 
LG- Carman 
LT- Williams

Bench:
T- Prince, Adeniji
G- Smith
C- Hill

Practice squad
C - Lamont Gaillard

That's not bad depth. Prince and Adeniji remind me of Scott Kooistra . . . good fill in for two or three games, but after that, teams start preying on them. Hill had some atrocious moments but he also had a few series where he looked solid and locked in . . . but then got exposed again. Hopefully his little bit of experience got his fire lit.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Never thought Fred Johnson would get 3 pages

Dude was trash
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Starters:

RT- Collins 
RG- Cappa
C- Karras 
LG- Carman 
LT- Williams

Bench:
T- Prince, Adeniji
G- Smith
C- Hill

Practice squad
C - Lamont Gaillard

They're still a G short and a couple practice squad guys but the only real area of need is another good backup G. I don't see how they re-sign Spain unless they're willing to push Carman and to a lesser extend Smith back a spot, or unless Spain is brought back (agrees) that he's starting off behind Carman. I'd prefer they go with Carman and find a cheap(er) option to fill out the roster before they grab a couple guys in the draft. 

Ryan Bates. (RFA-visited Vikes and Pats and there are some rumblings that he may sign with Chi after his visit with them)
Ereck Flowers. A previous Bfine mention. Played well with WFT last year. If he doesn't get a starting gig, he's a guy the Bengals should be eyeing.
Trai Turner. Guy people wanted last year. Still <30y/o and our allotment of Trai, Tre, Trea, Trey's is dwindling with the release of one yesterday. Like Flowers, it may come down to him signing as a backup.

EDIT: So, apparently they re-re-signed Fred for 2022? I guess plug him into a backup T and move Adeniji back to G...or ignore everything i just said. 

Mellow
This OL rotation makes me want to give Spain 18 mill

It’s horrible. If anyone gets hurt again it’s bad news
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Anyone have any idea why we extended him just a day if not hours before releasing him? Is there some type of cap strategy in this.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 12:33 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Anyone have any idea why we extended him just a day if not hours before releasing him? Is there some type of cap strategy in this.

I think he went from a 2 year deal to a one year deal.
Reply/Quote

Starters:

RT- Collins 
RG- Cappa
C- Karras 
LG- Carman 
LT- Williams

Bench:
T- Prince, Adeniji
G- Smith
C- Hill

Practice squad
C - Lamont Gaillard

Mellow

Wouldn't mind bringing in both Trai Turner and Erick Flowers or bringing back Spain and releasing Adeniji.

Draft Tre McBride the TE in the Draft to keep our Tre, Trai's stockpiled. Mellow
Reply/Quote
So they waived him, brought him back, amd waived him again? Somethings up...
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 09:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So they waived him, brought him back, amd waived him again? Somethings up...

Guess the FO is just trying to look busy. :)
Reply/Quote
He signed a one year deal with Tampa.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 11:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He signed a one year deal with Tampa.

Aren't the Bengals on the hook for at least some of his salary ?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 01:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Aren't the Bengals on the hook for at least some of his salary ?

IIRC, how it worked was he was tendered, so that he could get more money if someone wanted to sign him. By releasing him, they aren't on the hook for anything, but Fred gets a bit more, because he was tendered at the higher amount.

Again, may be wrong on that, but that's what I took from the hoopla about his tender, then signing and the release soon after.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote