Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals working out Dwight Freeney
(05-25-2016, 07:00 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm sure the Bengals have a price they are willing to pay an unrestricted free agent and no more so it doesn't affect next year's comp picks.

We have passed the deadline for which a free agent counts in that equation.

So if we didn't already have 4 coming Hall signing somewhere would get us nothing. Anybody we sign now will not subtract from what we have coming.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 07:00 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm sure the Bengals have a price they are willing to pay an unrestricted free agent and no more so it doesn't affect next year's comp picks.

In 1 week it won't matter.   I believe after 1 June they can do as they wish.  
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 08:08 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We have passed the deadline for which a free agent counts in that equation.

So if we didn't already have 4 coming Hall signing somewhere would get us nothing. Anybody we sign now will not subtract from what we have coming.

I thought the deadline was 1 June.    What was the deadline?  
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 05:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sad but true. If ATL is interested, it will only drive up his price and I don't see the Bengals paying much more than vet minimum for a guy like Freeney.

Hum, well I thought he wanted to go to a SB contender. I know Atlanta has a decent team, but I wouldn't call them a SB contender.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Sounds like he had a good visit. I wouldn't say all is lost now that he's left. We certainly wont get into a bidding war for him. We have the bad playoff monkey, but I like our chances better than Atlanta's.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Bengals-court-Freeney-Billings-signs/48421907-f177-4442-a22e-748da961f58e

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 10:22 PM)jj22 Wrote: Sounds like he had a good visit. I wouldn't say all is lost now that he's left. We certainly wont get into a bidding war for him. We have the bad playoff monkey, but I like our chances better than Atlanta's.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Bengals-court-Freeney-Billings-signs/48421907-f177-4442-a22e-748da961f58e

Freeney's not dumb. He's interviewing teams more than teams are interviewing him.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 10:05 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, well I thought he wanted to go to a SB contender. I know Atlanta has a decent team, but I wouldn't call them a SB contender.

That's what I was thinking, but it doesn't hurt Freeney to go to ATL and try to drive his price up some.

Maybe he has no intention of signing with ATL at all. If that's the case, he very well could be a Bengal soon.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 10:22 PM)jj22 Wrote: Sounds like he had a good visit. I wouldn't say all is lost now that he's left. We certainly wont get into a bidding war for him. We have the bad playoff monkey, but I like our chances better than Atlanta's.

This does give me a little optimism, i mean we are a likable team, who wouldnt want to play on the same line as geno atkins and dunlap. I think hed choose us over atlanta unless they choose to really overpay,but something is telling me,hell just go back to arizona for some reason. Maybe the weather there is good in the winter.
Reply/Quote
No worries now about losing a comp pick for a UFA.

Freeney took less than a million last year but remember, he signed in October. At this point, training camp hasn't started. I'm also sure he's looking for more money, to go with wanting to win a Super Bowl. And while I'm sure he's willing to do the "situational" thing - I'm sure he also wants to know he'll play quite a bit.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 01:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This will be a better fit than Harrison was ....   Situational 3rd downs only

This is the simple and straightforward answer.  Yes, he is a situational guythat does what no one else on the roster has shown on the right side.  That is called synergy.  This move, along with a pass-rushing situational DT (Billings) could make this defense much improved when only rushing four on passing downs.  
Reply/Quote
Here he will get more reps than Hunt or Clarke, which ever one of those guys we keep. If we sign Dwight I cant see us keeping both of those guys. I think we offered him something but he's doing his due diligence making other stops. I mean this is potentially his last year, might as well make as much money as he can.

I think if he's serious about playing for a contender though, we are the obvious favorite. ATL is a long way from that, their pass rush is dreadful and he would be asked to do more, which who knows how his 36 year old body would be able to take. Signing here is the wiser choice, but who knows what his real motivation is.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 08:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is the simple and straightforward answer.  Yes, he is a situational guythat does what no one else on the roster has shown on the right side.  That is called synergy.  This move, along with a pass-rushing situational DT (Billings) could make this defense much improved when only rushing four on passing downs.  

you think billings will be on the field for passrushing this year? I don't see it.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 10:05 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, well I thought he wanted to go to a SB contender. I know Atlanta has a decent team, but I wouldn't call them a SB contender.

(05-25-2016, 11:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's what I was thinking, but it doesn't hurt Freeney to go to ATL and try to drive his price up some.

Maybe he has no intention of signing with ATL at all. If that's the case, he very well could be a Bengal soon.

Yeah i am liking our chances, between us and the Falcons i think Freeney would definately choose us.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 10:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: you think billings will be on the field for passrushing this year? I don't see it.

A DT that strong can rush the passer better than all of our DT's besides Geno and maybe Deshawn Williams or Hardison.

And we still don't know about the two latter players. Billings is a beast my friend. He already can lift more than any NFL
player, you cannot teach that strength. He throws OL around like rag dolls. Don't sleep on Andrew Billings Xeno.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 12:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A DT that strong can rush the passer better than all of our DT's besides Geno and maybe Deshawn Williams or Hardison.

And we still don't know about the two latter players. Billings is a beast my friend. He already can lift more than any NFL
player, you cannot teach that strength. He throws OL around like rag dolls. Don't sleep on Andrew Billings Xeno.

Im not I think he will be starting at some point this year and they will use him more on run downs that's how im seeing it at least for most of year 1.    He could surprise though.

And while I thought he was a first round prospect like many here there are reasons he made it to us in round 4 as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 12:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Im not I think he will be starting at some point this year and they will use him more on run downs that's how im seeing it at least for most of year 1.    He could surprise though.

And while I thought he was a first round prospect like many here there are reasons he made it to us in round 4 as well.

All the other teams in the NFL will be regretting passing on him that many times. Huge chip on his shoulder lasting that long as well.
If it was because he was so young or cause he was short those are stupid reasons. If it is because teams thought he was only a 2
down run stopping DT they will be proven wrong.

You cannot double both Atkins and Billings. One will get through and demolish either the RB or QB.

I am thinking teams will choose to double Geno opening up for Andrew. He will be too good once the coaches give him enough snaps.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 10:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: you think billings will be on the field for passrushing this year? I don't see it.

I think if he shows he can provide a better pass rush than Peko or Sims, yes.  Hardison plays Geno's spot, but Billings offers a true penetrator at the NT spot, where currently Peko and Sims are effective run stuffers but not much else.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 12:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Im not I think he will be starting at some point this year and they will use him more on run downs that's how im seeing it at least for most of year 1.    He could surprise though.

Good point, and like another shorter DT that can lift a house, we have the best DT in football that we also got in Rd 4.  I'm not saying Billings is going to become another Geno, but I think the reasons he fell are very short-sighted.  

I don't see why he wouldn't come in on 3rd and long.  He has to prove he can do it against NFL linemen...I'm not just giving him the job, but I sure like his tape.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 10:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, and like another shorter DT that can lift a house, we have the best DT in football that we also got in Rd 4.  I'm not saying Billings is going to become another Geno, but I think the reasons he fell are very short-sighted.  

I don't see why he wouldn't come in on 3rd and long.  He has to prove he can do it against NFL linemen...I'm not just giving him the job, but I sure like his tape.

Billings just jumps off the tape to me.
Reply/Quote
I'm in the minority. I'd rather stick with our current roster. I doubt Freeney and/or Dansby will get us over the current hump. Only our current players can do that.

*Pessimistic* Maybe it's our recent success with Harrison and Hawk at LB Hilarious

Reply/Quote