Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bernard released
(04-15-2021, 08:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't have any stats to back this up, but does anyone else think that on a very high percentage of "swing" or "flare" passes to Bengal RBs coming out of the backfield a defender arrived about the same time the ball did.

It seemed to me that Gio got blown up for no gain on way too many of those type plays.

I thought the same thing. It seemed it was always sniffed out. Then on the reverse, our defense always gave up huge gains to those kinds of plays.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 06:54 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/giovani-bernard-already-feels-a-difference-inside-buccaneers-facilities

Makes you wonder what is actually going on behind the scenes? Doesnt bode well for Bengals when you read it...

To be fair, he was one of the players that went to bat for ZT. He’s going to talk anyone up. It’s who he is. I wouldn’t read too much into it. They just won the super bowl, Bengals have 5 straight losing seasons. Going to be different atmosphere. Gotta bring the wins.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 06:54 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/giovani-bernard-already-feels-a-difference-inside-buccaneers-facilities

Makes you wonder what is actually going on behind the scenes? Doesnt bode well for Bengals when you read it...

Good job completely misconstruing the entire point of that article.

Here's a task for you, if you're so inclined:

Go to a company that just had its 5th year of losses and see how morale is.

Then go to a company that just made the most money of all 32 in the industry, got huge bonuses, perks and is led by one of the 3 greatest workers in the industry's history and see how the morale is.

You tell me, "how the feeling in the building and facilities," has anything to do with, "how our team is run."

The article clearly states that people are still excited and riding the high that was the SB; it DOES NOT say that, "they run things better," or, "they do things properly whereas Cincinnati is amateur."

I'll say it for the 50th time; the hate and toxicity with a large part of our fanbase is disgusting.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Brady is 12-3 against the Steelers and that includes 3-0 in the playoffs. The guy should be a defacto hero in Cincy and Cleveland. 

When you root against Brady you are joining ranks with Steeler fans. 

Clearly you don't live in New England with band wagon Pats fans that can't name a single other player on the team.

I do.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 09:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Depends is mixon gonna play all the games this year?    He was drastically overpaid last year  (mixon)   

The point went over your head, this is a Gio thread and not a Mixon thread. His pay is for another thread.

In this thread, Gio got to have his agent go to 31 teams, 31 teams and he gets only 1.4 million maximum deal. Bengals would have had to pay him 4.1 million. So Bengals were 100% correct, Gio's value at 4.1 million was way over priced for the current RB market for a backup or rotational RB.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 11:42 AM)motoarch Wrote: Clearly you don't live in New England with band wagon Pats fans that can't name a single other player on the team.

I do.

Brace yourself, if Burrow is good people are going to start talking about him.  
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 01:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The point went over your head, this is a Gio thread and not a Mixon thread. His pay is for another thread.

In this thread, Gio got to have his agent go to 31 teams, 31 teams and he gets only 1.4 million maximum deal. Bengals would have had to pay him 4.1 million. So Bengals were 100% correct, Gio's value at 4.1 million was way over priced for the current RB market for a backup or rotational RB.

This is Skip Bayless level silliness.

Bernard in 2020: 3.4 yds/carry, 3 TDs, 7.6 yds/rec, 3TDs, 4.7M cap hit in 2021
Mixon in 2020: 3.6 yds/carry, 3TDs, 6.6 yds/rec, 1TD, 8.1M cap hit in 2021

1) If anyone is over paid based upon production it’s Mixon.

2) If the Bengals were smart to cut Gio, then they were stupid for agreeing to overpay to begin with.

3) The Bengals whole schtick when it comes to negotiating contracts is to offer less in guarantees and overall value. But, claim the player will actually earn more because the team won’t cut the player before the end of their contract, unlike other teams, so they will ultimately make more from a lesser offer. This proves their schtick is BS. So they kneecap their own negotiating power.

4) The Bucs are the defending Super Bowl champions. They’re bringing back all 22 starters. They have a future HOFer at the most important position on the field in Brady and a second HOFer in Gronk. On paper they are already better than they were when they won the Super Bowl just by adding Gio and we’re still two weeks away from the draft. The Bucs are close to Gio’s Dad so he can come watch him play. The Bucs have less than $2M in cap space so they don’t have the cap space to pay Gio more without cutting someone else.

5) Gio had multiple offers and you have no idea what amount anyone offered. So you can’t claim he was $X over paid without that info.

6) The Bengals tried to renegotiate mid-contract to save ~$2M when they had over $20M in available cap space with no plan on how to use it and you’re acting like they won the off season over 1% of their salary cap while Burrow’s pass protection got worse. Yeah.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 04:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This is Skip Bayless level silliness.

Bernard in 2020: 3.4 yds/carry, 3 TDs, 7.6 yds/rec, 3TDs, 4.7M cap hit in 2021
Mixon in 2020: 3.6 yds/carry, 3TDs, 6.6 yds/rec, 1TD, 8.1M cap hit in 2021

1) If anyone is over paid based upon production it’s Mixon.

2) If the Bengals were smart to cut Gio, then they were stupid for agreeing to overpay to begin with.

3) The Bengals whole schtick when it comes to negotiating contracts is to offer less in guarantees and overall value. But, claim the player will actually earn more because the team won’t cut the player before the end of their contract, unlike other teams, so they will ultimately make more from a lesser offer. This proves their schtick is BS. So they kneecap their own negotiating power.

4) The Bucs are the defending Super Bowl champions. They’re bringing back all 22 starters. They have a future HOFer at the most important position on the field in Brady and a second HOFer in Gronk. On paper they are already better than they were when they won the Super Bowl just by adding Gio and we’re still two weeks away from the draft. The Bucs are close to Gio’s Dad so he can come watch him play. The Bucs have less than $2M in cap space so they don’t have the cap space to pay Gio more without cutting someone else.  

5) Gio had multiple offers and you have no idea what amount anyone offered. So you can’t claim he was $X over paid without that info.

6) The Bengals tried to renegotiate mid-contract to save ~$2M when they had over $20M in available cap space with no plan on how to use it and you’re acting like they won the off season over 1% of their salary cap while Burrow’s pass protection got worse. Yeah.

Wow, I hope you don't handle finances for any business or for your home. The market changed and lots of players value decreased. Bengals were smart by not guaranteeing 4.1 million just in case the market flipped or he got hurt. As for Mixon, as I said, this thread is about Gio being cut, not Mixon was cut. Did Bengals overpay Mixon for his production in 2020, yes they did. Did the overpay Geno and Green for their 2020 production, yes they did.

It happens, but point is an easy one, Gio had a 2021 value of 1.4 million. If you think some team offered him 2,5 million and he said no thanks I have swamp land in Florida to sell you for 50K an acre.

Can we sign a 1.2 million dollar backup rb for 1.4 million versus 4.1, I say they can if they feel the need. That leaves 2,7 million to sign a guard (crazy by Bengals to pay a backup RB more than not 1 but 2 starting guides, so they fixed the mistake by asking him for a reduction in pay, he said no and they cut him) and hopefully will use the money more wisely this time around.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 05:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Wow, I hope you don't handle finances for any business or for your home. The market changed and lots of players value decreased. Bengals were smart by not guaranteeing 4.1 million just in case the market flipped or he got hurt. As for Mixon, as I said, this thread is about Gio being cut, not Mixon was cut. Did Bengals overpay Mixon for his production in 2020, yes they did. Did the overpay Geno and Green for their 2020 production, yes they did.

It happens, but point is an easy one, Gio had a 2021 value of 1.4 million. If you think some team offered him 2,5 million and he said no thanks I have swamp lane in Florida to sell you for 50K an acre.

Can we sign a 1.2 million dollar backup rb for 1.4 million versus 4.1, I say they can if they feel the need. That leaves 2,7 million to sign a guard (crazy by Bengals to pay a backup RB more than not 1 but 2 starting guides, so they fixed the mistake by asking him for a reduction in pay, he said no and they cut him) and hopefully will use the money more wisely this time around.

Awesome. They can sign a back up quality OG who will come with some sort of question mark for that price at this time. That will really help.

As far as finances, I don’t worry over 1% of my discretionary spending when I still have an additional 14% left to spend. Especially when I already accounted for that 1% in my budget. And with the Bengals and myself, we can easily create an additional 1% in spending if needed.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 09:11 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Those of us who said Gio was overpaid were 100% correct. We cut him and his 4.1 million base because he refused a pay cut, he got 1.4 million max from Bucs so Bengals FO was correct asking him to take a massive pay cut. In the end, he was 2.7 million overpaid for 2021.

Some would argue that 1.4 million with the Bucs is greater than 4.1 with the Bengals.  He'll make it up in jocks, towels, Gatoraide and Super Bowl rings.

I wasn't really making an argument either way.  People gotta make up their minds.   Do you want a team that does cold hard math and does what needs to be done, or do you want a team that hurts itself because they only make contracts they expect to pay out and they hang onto every contract they make.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't have any stats to back this up, but does anyone else think that on a very high percentage of "swing" or "flare" passes to Bengal RBs coming out of the backfield a defender arrived about the same time the ball did.  

It seemed to me that Gio got blown up for no gain on way too many of those type plays.

You're thinking of the ill advised late safety valve passes to Gio in the flat where he went BOOM!

Those were a staple of the previous QBs era. It only happened once last year, with Brandon Allen at QB and the hit wasn't quite as bad as years past. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:42 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Good job completely misconstruing the entire point of that article.

Here's a task for you, if you're so inclined:

Go to a company that just had its 5th year of losses and see how morale is.

Then go to a company that just made the most money of all 32 in the industry, got huge bonuses, perks and is led by one of the 3 greatest workers in the industry's history and see how the morale is.

You tell me, "how the feeling in the building and facilities," has anything to do with, "how our team is run."

The article clearly states that people are still excited and riding the high that was the SB; it DOES NOT say that, "they run things better," or, "they do things properly whereas Cincinnati is amateur."

I'll say it for the 50th time; the hate and toxicity with a large part of our fanbase is disgusting.

That's what i was gonna say. How can you not feel a difference going to a team that just won the SB?

Anyone really believe that if he went to the Jets he would have said the same thing?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 09:06 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: If I was Burrow, I would look back at film and count how many times Gio saved his arse and insist he get an excellent blocking RB because he is definitely gonna need one, Mixon is a great running back but his achilles is blocking.

Says who? You??

Mixon is one of the more complete all around backs and that includes good blocking awareness and catching the ball as well... Apparently you have forgotten watching Mixon blow up our new guy Hilton from Pitt on a block... Is he perfect? No, but the drop off isn't no where near as bad as you are trying to make it out to be. You are just whinning to be whinning.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 10:12 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Says who? You??

Says everyone/reality. Mixon is not a good blocker.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 12:25 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You're thinking of the ill advised late safety valve passes to Gio in the flat where he went BOOM!

Those were a staple of the previous QBs era. It only happened once last year, with Brandon Allen at QB and the hit wasn't quite as bad as years past. 

The ol' Andy Dalton rib check... I also loved the Carlos Dunlap horse collar.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote