Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bernie Supporters and Bad Memes
(07-14-2015, 05:29 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Oh my..... the look of fear in that child's eyes !
Shocked

[Image: enhanced-buzz-11080-1312307423-2.jpg]
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
[Image: ThreadHijack-Car.jpg]

Screw you Pat.

Sincerely,

Everyone here
People mentioned in this thread more than Bernie Sanders in order of when they first appeared:

RoyaleRedlegs' roommate
The Kennedys
Wyche's endocrinologist
The Quaker Oats oatmeal guy
GMDino's daughter's boyfriend
George Washington
Wyche's diabetic family members
Barbara Bush
Children scared of 'people of Walmart'
People who steal cars from my local Walmart
BmorePat himself
Johnny Cash (appeared after this post)
(07-14-2015, 05:34 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Too many of Wyche's evil whole grains.

[Image: johnny-cash-finger.jpg?resize=409%2C362]

LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-14-2015, 05:49 PM)6andcounting Wrote: People mentioned in this thread more than Bernie Sanders in order of when they first appeared:

RoyaleRedlegs' roommate
The Kennedys
Wyche's endocrinologist
George Washington
Barbara Bush
BmorePat himself

.......but.......I *did* mention Bernie in my third post...... LOL

(07-14-2015, 05:49 PM)6andcounting Wrote: People mentioned in this thread more than Bernie Sanders in order of when they first appeared:

RoyaleRedlegs' roommate
The Kennedys
Wyche's endocrinologist
George Washington
Barbara Bush
BmorePat himself

Epic bread, bruh !! Oops the carbs....

RoyaleRedlegs' roommate
The Kennedys
Wyche's endocrinologist
George Washington
Barbara Bush
BmorePat himself

Hey now, my comment was directly correlated to batshit crazy Bernie 
(07-14-2015, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is your point.  There is a  proven direct correlation between income and life expectancy.  It mainly has to do with better health care, but it also includes factors like diet, access to exercise facilities, and murder rate.

So what is your argument?  Just ignore a problem that is shown to exist.

Repeating that there is income inequality and it needs to end will not address those issues.

It also over simplifies why theses areas have vastly different levels of income. Give everyone in that county a $15 minimum wage and you'll still have a small rural community that will never have access to the same level of services as a large suburban area.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Just so everyone knows, I do not disagree that growing up and living in poverty contributes in many ways to many social and medical issues. A lot of it comes back to a lack of education.

I am having an issue with a terrible comparison and no real suggestion to address the root of these issues. As I said, a $15 minimum wage isn't going to change anything.

(07-14-2015, 07:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Just so everyone knows, I do not disagree that growing up and living in poverty contributes in many ways to many social and medical issues. A lot of it comes back to a lack of education.

I am having an issue with a terrible comparison and no real suggestion to address the root of these issues. As I said, a $15 minimum wage isn't going to change anything.
More commentary related to the original post. Bold move. Maybe we'll give more of a shit this time.
(07-14-2015, 07:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Just so everyone knows, I do not disagree that growing up and living in poverty contributes in many ways to many social and medical issues. A lot of it comes back to a lack of education.

Raising minimum wage isn't Sanders only solution to the poverty problem. He also advocates universal healthcare, free public university educations and infrastructure building to create jobs.

Here's a good story about his time as mayor and how he made Burlington a better place to work and live for all of its citizens, not just the wealthy.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/what-kind-of-mayor-was-bernie-sanders
(07-14-2015, 11:06 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Raising minimum wage isn't Sanders only solution to the poverty problem. He also advocates universal healthcare, free public university educations and infrastructure building to create jobs.

Here's a good story about his time as mayor and how he made Burlington a better place to work and live for all of its citizens, not just the wealthy.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/what-kind-of-mayor-was-bernie-sanders

Not sure if we could afford it, but universal health care would help those who are poor in heavily populated areas. It's not going to do much to improve the fact that these poor rural communities cannot keep these types of services. These rural hospitals cannot afford to stay open or offer all that an urban hospital can.

Not sure if free public university is going to change any of this. Those affected by this degree of poverty tend to barely make it through high school. Nearly anyone who can make it through high school and wants to go to college can get a loan to go to college. Whether or not they're capable of completing college is a different question.

Infrastructure jobs are short term jobs and don't address the issues that face a poor rural community, though I do support a push to update our infrastructure. I'd rather we build it here than in another country.

Though I do appreciate you shedding more light on Bernie. I imagine that these changes are easier down at the local level. Not sure if you can run the whole US as you can Burlington, Vermont. Shit, the city I am from has more than twice the population as Burlington.

(07-14-2015, 01:17 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: This...
Diet is a huge factor.
Most cannot afford healthy food.
Lots of cheap pasta = diabetes (and more)

I've heard a lot of people say that it's more expensive to eat healthy.  I just don't see it.  Maybe if you're eating organic vegetables and free-range chicken, but simply eating a better diet isn't more expensive....it's cheaper, in my experience.

I used to eat a lot of fast food and frozen foods section bullshit....and then adulthood started catching up to me and I started showing my weight of my bad diet.  So I changed it.  I still eat the occasional fast food, and every time, I spend nearly 10 bucks.  If I make my own lunch with a sandwich and some fruit/veggie snacks, I'm typically spending less money.  A diet of market fruits, vegetables, lean meat, and whole grains costs a lot less than a diet of Taco Bell and Hot Pockets.

I agree with pasta though....Americans eat so much of it, it's cheap, and has very little nutritional value.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(07-14-2015, 01:17 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: This...
Diet is a huge factor.
Most cannot afford healthy food.
Lots of cheap pasta = diabetes (and more)

[Image: tumblr_m39b71JuMu1rrftcdo1_500.gif]
(07-14-2015, 07:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Repeating that there is income inequality and it needs to end will not address those issues.

It is the first step.

We have to get past all the people who claim it doesn't exist or that it doesn't matter before we can do anything to address the problems.

Right now there are too many people who think poor people are living the high life with nice cars, plasma TVs, and cell phones without ever having to work.  That type of rhetoric is what is preventing people from wanting to do anything about income inequality.  The fact is that many people who work very hard live in poverty and die young because of it.

We have to convince the voters that poverty really is bad before we can ever do anything to help the situation.
(07-15-2015, 09:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Right now there are too many people who think poor people are living the high life with nice cars, plasma TVs, and cell phones without ever having to work. 

Really?

(07-15-2015, 10:04 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Really?

St. Ronnie's myth of the welfare queen will always be part of the public perception.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-15-2015, 09:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is the first step.

We have to get past all the people who claim it doesn't exist or that it doesn't matter before we can do anything to address the problems.

Right now there are too many people who think poor people are living the high life with nice cars, plasma TVs, and cell phones without ever having to work.  That type of rhetoric is what is preventing people from wanting to do anything about income inequality.  The fact is that many people who work very hard live in poverty and die young because of it.

We have to convince the voters that poverty really is bad before we can ever do anything to help the situation.

.....and yet, they have no problem with corporate welfare......handouts for folks who CAN afford to get by.  It's weird.

(07-15-2015, 12:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....and yet, they have no problem with corporate welfare......handouts for folks who CAN afford to get by.  It's weird.

One of my right wing friends (and I do have them) was arguing about "corporate greed" with me a couple weeks ago and demanded I tell him what country has done better than America and its capitalism.

I argued that America and capitalism is NOT the problem.  Greed is.  America did great for a long time in allowing everyone (most) to grow together.  Then for the last 30+ years we turned to profit over people and "trickle down" and killed ourselves as a nation.  Even he agreed there is a difference between working hard and making as much as you can and "greed" that puts other people out so you can make more.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-15-2015, 09:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is the first step.

To be honest.... there are a lot of people in my area who are the "baller" welfare people.
I'm not sure how they go about it, but they have the latest iPhone and drive Caddys and such.
What baffles me is that I know of one 19 year old (no children) who COULD work, but doesn't, and only has to pay $18 for one months rent in government subsidized housing.
I also know people who work for $12/hour that are in poverty, who can get no help.
It's no wonder why people give up and take the easy route.
So, what do we do ?
I think we need to make the assistance program a little more restrictive and add a small amount to the minimum wage to close the gap between the working poor and the people "ballin".
I'd really like to see assistance programs tied more into education and training programs, but it would take someone brighter than I to develop such a thing.