Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best American Band
(12-07-2015, 12:53 PM)McC Wrote: Greatest songwriter?   I'm afraid you have the wrong Bob for that category.

Marley?
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 10:38 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: Marley?

Dillon?
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 05:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dillon?

Xeno mentioned him as the greatest songwriter and McC responded wrong Bob...so I'm guessing its Marley?

Marley was one of my fav artists as well...only Reggae i can tolerate.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 05:03 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: Xeno mentioned him as the greatest songwriter and McC responded wrong Bob...so I'm guessing its Marley?

Marley was one of my fav artists as well...only Reggae i can tolerate.

i think i reference Seiger instead of dillon but ment dillon
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 10:38 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: Marley?

Love me some Marley but I meant Dylan.  He is the undisputed king of songwriters.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2015, 05:24 PM)McC Wrote: Love me some Marley but I meant Dylan.  He is the undisputed king of songwriters.

Even Dylan loves John Prine......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2015, 07:01 AM)Wyche Wrote: Even Dylan loves John Prine......

He's great too.   But Dylan is in a class by himself.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 03:40 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: buddy of mine and i were having this convo yesterday at the bar watching the 1pm games.

I'm a big Skynyrd fan so naturally that's my choice but he's going with The Eagles.

what say you?

It depends on when you were in high school and such.....Jimi Hendrix Experience maybe.....Elvis and his band for record sales.....CSNY......but how about The Isley Brothers......or how about The Supremes....Older people could make a case for Tommy Dorsey Band of Sinatra and Buddy Rich on drums.....Then there was Benny Goodman with Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton and sometimes Harry James....Cab Calloway Band or Louis Armstrong Band.....and how about the bands of Duke Ellington or Count Basie or Muddy Waters or BB King or Ray Charles.....and then there is country....blue grass....and all this modern music.....

I have always said that the USA may only be 200 some years old, but being a melting pot, we are rich in music history inventing Jazz, Swingtime, Dixie Land, Rock N Roll, Soul and Rap.......

I could more easily think about the most under estimated USA band ever....Three Dog Night had some good songs....Whoever was doing the Monkees made some good songs....is Fleetwood Mac a USA band ?.......I really like Leon Russell and his bands......Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were good.....Grateful Dead.....Jefferson Airplane as  Jefferson Starship album with Pappa John Creech was good and song Miracles. .....The Platters...Beach Boys....is Steely Dan USA......Doobie Brothers.....Creedence Clearwater still stands up.......The Byrds....Bob Dylan and The Band....Bad Company.....Bachman Turner Overdrive....is Aerosmith USA......THE DOORS........Steppenwolf.....

What group did you go to see and they really surprised you. ...A great warm up group was Blue Oyster Cult. 

The USA has a strong music history in just a few hundred years. ....even the pre minstrel period. , ha, ha
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 06:13 PM)kevin Wrote: It depends on when you were in high school and such.....Jimi Hendrix Experience maybe.....Elvis and his band for record sales.....CSNY......but how about The Isley Brothers......or how about The Supremes....Older people could make a case for Tommy Dorsey Band of Sinatra and Buddy Rich on drums.....Then there was Benny Goodman with Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton and sometimes Harry James....Cab Calloway Band or Louis Armstrong Band.....and how about the bands of Duke Ellington or Count Basie or Muddy Waters or BB King or Ray Charles.....and then there is country....blue grass....and all this modern music.....

I have always said that the USA may only be 200 some years old, but being a melting pot, we are rich in music history inventing Jazz, Swingtime, Dixie Land, Rock N Roll, Soul and Rap.......

I could more easily think about the most under estimated USA band ever....Three Dog Night had some good songs....Whoever was doing the Monkees made some good songs....is Fleetwood Mac a USA band ?.......I really like Leon Russell and his bands......Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were good.....Grateful Dead.....Jefferson Airplane as  Jefferson Starship album with Pappa John Creech was good and song Miracles. .....The Platters...Beach Boys....is Steely Dan USA......Doobie Brothers.....Creedence Clearwater still stands up.......The Byrds....Bob Dylan and The Band....Bad Company.....Bachman Turner Overdrive....is Aerosmith USA......THE DOORS........Steppenwolf.....

What group did you go to see and they really surprised you. ...A great warm up group was Blue Oyster Cult. 

The USA has a strong music history in just a few hundred years. ....even the pre minstrel period. , ha, ha

Cab Calloway kicked ass......Muddy and Howlin Wolf had good bands....as was The Chicago Blues Band that often backed John Lee Hooker.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
KC and the Sunshine Band

Hilarious
[Image: th?id=OIP.M98659fee098e4fab66f042d76f7c0...=218&h=159]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hell...    Grand Funk even wrote a song about it!  They should win this category. LOL  Good band though.  No kidding.

[Image: th?id=OIP.Md7a666430472c0a2da3fc2ec96633...=162&h=158][Image: th?id=OIP.M7902009c724b0ef661e36381b2ed2...=300&h=300]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Here's a GREAT American rock band! BOSTON

[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 06:13 PM)kevin Wrote: It depends on when you were in high school and such.....Jimi Hendrix Experience maybe.....Elvis and his band for record sales.....CSNY......but how about The Isley Brothers......or how about The Supremes....Older people could make a case for Tommy Dorsey Band of Sinatra and Buddy Rich on drums.....Then there was Benny Goodman with Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton and sometimes Harry James....Cab Calloway Band or Louis Armstrong Band.....and how about the bands of Duke Ellington or Count Basie or Muddy Waters or BB King or Ray Charles.....and then there is country....blue grass....and all this modern music.....

good post Kev...but fyi Bad Company while excellent (seen them 3 times) are British.
Reply/Quote