Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best British Bands/Artists
After seeing the thread on American bands, I became eager to know which British bands and/or artists you liked.

I'll get the ball rolling with three of my personal favourites:

The Smiths (already created a thread on these)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-cD4oLk_D0

Led Zeppelin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwotNLyz10

David Bowie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXq5VvYAI1Q

(I'll throw in a couple that I imagine haven't quite broken into America, but are definitely worthy of a mention: Pulp, The Stone Roses and The Arctic Monkeys)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJS3xnD7Mus (Pulp)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSD11dnphg0 (Stone Roses)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqkBRVukQmE (Arctic Monkeys)

I've thrown in Arctic Monkeys and Pulp as local bands to me (Sheffield, Yorkshire....also where I currently attend University)
The Arctic Monkeys track i've posted a link to is a favourite of mine, due to Alex Turner's Yorkshire accent coming through (And oh he must be up to summart)

Anyway, i'm just interested to see how many of you are fans of British music, and which bands draw in the most interest. And yes, I am very aware that I have left some big bands off my list Rolleyes

Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
Bowie
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't know a lot of bands that are either lesser known or maybe the ones who influenced others so I'm just going off what I know and like. It will pretty much read like a neophyte in music.

Stones. #1 in the world. Period.

Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Beatles. I like some of their music, don't like some of their music, but what a force.

The Who

I really like two of Def Leppard's albums. Don't really care for anything after Pyromania.

Does Elton John count?

Queen

Clapton in his various forms.

I'm just amazed at what England produced rock n roll wise.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 11:28 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Bowie

The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars, one of my all time favourite albums.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 12:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know a lot of bands that are either lesser known or maybe the ones who influenced[Image: arrow-10x10.png] others so I'm just going off what I know and like.  It will pretty much read like a neophyte in music.

Stones.  #1 in the world.  Period.

Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Beatles.  I like some of their music, don't like some of their music, but what a force.

The Who

I really like two of Def Leppard's albums.  Don't really care for anything after Pyromania.  

Does Elton John count?

Queen

Clapton in his various forms.

I'm just amazed at what England produced rock n roll wise.

By stones I assume you mean Rolling and not the Stone Roses Rolleyes 

Pink Floyd - excellent

Couldn't agree more with you on The Beatles

Thank you, without trying to sound too patriotic i'm amazed at what Britain and England have produced and accomplished in pretty much every sense. We do quite well for a tiny little island Rolleyes LOL

Reply/Quote
Oh and yes, Elton John does count, even though I am not a fan of his music Wink

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 12:25 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: By stones I assume you mean Rolling and not the Stone Roses Rolleyes 

Pink Floyd - excellent

Couldn't agree more with you on The Beatles

Thank you, without trying to sound too patriotic i'm amazed at what Britain and England have produced and accomplished in pretty much every sense. We do quite well for a tiny little island Rolleyes LOL

Yeah that's just music.  A relatively small island nation dominated the world, and won some of the greatest upsets in military history.  Agincourt, the defeat of the Spanish Armada, and the Battle of Britain, with Agincourt being my favorite "no chance to win" upset.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 12:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah that's just music.  A relatively small island nation dominated the world, and won some of the greatest upsets in military history.  Agincourt, the defeat of the Spanish Armada, and the Battle of Britain, with Agincourt being my favorite "no chance to win" upset.

Don't get me started on British inventions Wink

Reply/Quote
Hands Down Zeppelin..... Some Good bands here but none hold a candle to Led Zeppelin
Reply/Quote
Led Zep are pretty amazing. I love Physical Graffiti.

Reply/Quote
1. What they did at the Battle of Waterloo was incredible.  The overall battlefield mastery by their generals has lived on generations after it played out on the field.

2. Sinking the Bismark

3. Austin Powers
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Can I throw monty python into the mix? If i'd have known you all respected us Brits and our history so much i'd have just made it a British love in thread Rolleyes

Reply/Quote
Led Zeppelin and The Beatles, hands down.
Reply/Quote
Basically the godfathers of Heavy Metal
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath

Honorable mention Def Leppard.  High N' Dry is one of the best riff-laden guitar driven albums of all time IMO.

The given legends
The Who
Beatles
Queen
Zepplin
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Gotta throw Cream, Deep Purple, and Rainbow in there... love me some Clapton and Ritchie Blackmore!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
One Direction
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Lemmy from Motörhead
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
The Beatles - Undeniably the greatest band for most of those who lived in that generation
The Rolling Stones - A firm 2nd to the Beatles (for that generation) and the longest lasting band without peer
Queen - My personal favorite
Yes - They never got the respect they deserved, IMO

I was never into these bands too much, but you cannot deny their legendary status:
The Who
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin

A couple of personal favorites of mine:
The Hollies
Black Sabbath
Bad Finger
Def Leppard
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Radiohead, just to throw a name in with the others. I absolutely love them.

I really like The Kinks as well.

I personally haven't gotten deep into their stuff, but my father is a huge T Rex fan.

Finally, you can't forget The Police!

You guys are not wrong. How in the hell did much much great music come out of the tiny island. I really think it blows the American thread out of the water.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 02:24 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: The Beatles - Undeniably the greatest band for most of those who lived in that generation
The Rolling Stones - A firm 2nd to the Beatles (for that generation) and the longest lasting band without peer
Queen - My personal favorite
Yes - They never got the respect they deserved, IMO

I was never into these bands too much, but you cannot deny their legendary status:
The Who
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin

A couple of personal favorites of mine:
The Hollies
Black Sabbath
Bad Finger
Def Leppard

I wonder how many downloads Bad Finger got after they wrapped up "Breaking Bad" with Baby Blue.  

Reply/Quote