Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best British Bands/Artists
(12-08-2015, 11:12 PM)jason Wrote: The Sex Pistols did a fantastic rendition.... Smirk

It would make sporting ceremonies much more interesting
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 11:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And your foood from what I hear although Ive had a Christmas pudding sent to me a couple of times, and it is certainly interesting.  I don't drink so I didn't put any spirits on it and light it, but cream was suggested[Image: arrow-10x10.png], and I found that quite helpful in cutting some of the richness. My mom and I are bith big fans of A Christmas Carol so it was pretty cool to have an authentic pudding.

If you're saying our food is bad then that couldn't be further from the truth Rolleyes

Yorkshire puddings! Have them with about 4 meals per week, I would be lost without them  LOL (Do they even have these in the States?)

I could go on forever, but our food and cuisine is definitely underrated by non-Brits  Cheers

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 11:26 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: It would make sporting ceremonies much more interesting

In fact the only time I find the anthem interesting is when we're using it to mock the Aussies at the cricket:

http://youtu.be/a0wDsABthQ0

Reply/Quote
British football fans deserve a mention too Rolleyes

http://youtu.be/icSAr94WeLw

https://youtu.be/IetC71bPHHE

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 05:22 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: https://youtu.be/YPSzPGrazPo

A favourite of mine. Not the most well known sketch, but i'm interested to know if Americans have even heard of Barnsley, the real New York of England Wink

[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 11:30 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: If you're saying our food is bad then that couldn't be further from the truth Rolleyes

Yorkshire puddings! Have them with about 4 meals per week, I would be lost without them  LOL (Do they even have these in the States?)

I could go on forever, but our food and cuisine is definitely underrated by non-Brits  Cheers

That's just the stereotype.  I have no idea.  I've never seen Yorkshire pudding here although I have to imagine it's available somewhere.  That's more of something you eat with your meal rather than a dessert is it not?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 10:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That's just the stereotype.  I have no idea.  I've never seen Yorkshire pudding here although I have to imagine it's available somewhere.  That's more of something you eat with your meal rather than a dessert is it not?

Correct, you'd have it with meat, veg and plenty of gravy LOL

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 11:12 AM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Correct, you'd have it with meat, veg and plenty of gravy LOL

I checked a picture, and I've had it.  I'm assuming at a restaurant.  I still recall the taste and texture.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 11:30 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: If you're saying our food is bad then that couldn't be further from the truth Rolleyes

Could you actually describe what Yorkshire Pudding is?

Im guessing its not pudding as we know it.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 05:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Could you actually describe what Yorkshire Pudding is?

Im guessing its not pudding as we know it.

Certainly. You would normally have it with a meat and vegetable type dinner. It is made from eggs, flour and milk/water. Goes very well with gravy.

They can vary in appearance, especially if home made. If you must eat a store bought pudding (as a Yorkshireman this is unthinkable LOL ) then they will usually be sort of shaped like a pot, with no lid

File:Johns_Yorkshire_Puddings.jpg

File:Traditional.Sunday.Roast-01.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_pudding

(Yorkshire by the way is by far the best part of Britain, God's own county  Rolleyes The Yorkshire accent is magical, the playwright played by Graham Chapman is a good example of a broad Yorkshire accent Monty Python - Northern Playwright)

Reply/Quote
Has anyone mentioned ELO? I don't know if they are considered great, but I like 'em.

Reply/Quote
[Image: MI0002783045.jpg?partner=allrovi.com]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 05:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: MI0002783045.jpg?partner=allrovi.com]

what a great album....so many great musical styles...really showed their range.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 10:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Has anyone mentioned ELO?  I don't know if they are considered great, but I like 'em.

I like 'em too....just released a new album. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 05:16 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: what a great album....so many great musical styles...really showed their range.

London Calling is great...  Sandinista is as well, but it was just all over the place.  I think it would have been considered every bit as great if it were whittled down to a double record like London Calling.  It's really hard to take Sandinista in all at once.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 07:38 PM)jason Wrote: London Calling is great...  Sandinista is as well, but it was just all over the place.  I think it would have been considered every bit as great if it were whittled down to a double record like London Calling.  It's really hard to take Sandinista in all at once.

its like 30 - 40 tracks or something like that.
Reply/Quote
Just ask yourself who they invited to sing at the funeral of Princess Di. Answer that and you have the answer to this thread.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The Beatles, the Police! The latter was actually English-American as the drummer in the band was American but had British blood.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
Lot of good stuff here. Kinks have been big in my life forever, as have the Clash. For me, Combat Rock was the Clash's best album. That B side was so interesting and different. Allen Ginsberg on Ghetto Defendent, a death of a Star.... I still love that album.

A lot for me has to do with specific albums hitting me at just the right time:

Joe Jackson - Look Sharp ...killer album
English Beat - Special Beat Service ...They never should have fought over money
Psychedelic Firs - Mirror Moves ...My stepmother brought the album back from England, and it lived on my record player for months.

Eurythmics, Mekons, Adam Ant...
Reply/Quote
Average White Band

I also like

David Bowe
Led Zepplin
The Who
The Rolling Stones

I'm sure I can thing of more but I'm watching a movie and playing WoW, lol.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote