Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Pick, Worse Pick, Sleeper Draft Grades
(04-27-2019, 07:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I hope Sample turns into Witten like performance and people who cried will eat it.  

Umm...literally everyone should be hoping for that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I hope Sample turns into Witten like performance and people who cried will eat it.  

Witten:
-Put up more yards in his junior year than Sample did in his 4 year career combined.
-Came out as an underclassman.
-Witten was 6'6, 266lbs, and ran a 4.65 40-yard, while getting 25 reps at the bench (would have been the most in this year's TE class, Sample didn't even lift).
-Was a 3rd rounder.

I'm not sure I see the connection to a smaller, slower, less productive, weaker TE who was taken a round earlier. I mean, it'd be cool if the Bengals managed to get a HoF TE, but it'd also be cool if Andy Dalton turned into Tom Brady. Is that likely, though?

(Interesting Fact: Witten missed exactly 1 game in his 14 year career, in his rookie season. He played 219 straight games to finish out his career.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
My A through F grade will just have to wait a year or longer to see just how it pans out. For the time being I see this as a restocking positions of need draft with perhaps the exception of LB and even that's yet to be determined. There have been more than enough players who graded out pretty low only to prove the pundits wrong. I'm not big on forming my opinions based on the national punditry classes. I tend to like actual results over "MAYBE the pundits will be right", the same pundits who get their mock drafts completely wrong year after year. 
We were supposed to get either Bush or Haskins according to most mocks with a few picking Hockinson or Ford to us. Looking at the NFL mocks (7 all together) not a single one hit their marks with us.
Until proven otherwise I like our draft this year and if we get an F from the national pundits it means absolutely less than nothing.
My best to worse for the time being is...
Jonah Williams
Pratt
Findley/Sample tie
Wren
Trayveon Williams
Jordan
Anderson
Davis
Brown
All subject to change as the season progresses..
This still excludes CFA's. One or two might rise to the occasion to blow everyone else out of the water....
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:27 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Please keep this nontoxic.

Rules are simple:

Total Grade:
Best Pick:
Worst Pick:
Sleeper:

My View:
Total Grade: B-
Best Pick: J. Williams OT, Rated highest at position of need.
Worst Pick: Sample TE, simply because he was taken too high but I think he will be amazing because of skill set.
Sleeper:  Wren DT, a man-child who will terrify QB.

Don't we always seem to get huge DT's with a lot of potential in the draft in Rounds 4-6?

Remember Mathias Askew? Billings? I think there have been a few others too that I'm blanking on.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 08:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Don't we always seem to get huge DT's with a lot of potential in the draft in Rounds 4-6?

Remember Mathias Askew? Billings? I think there have been a few others too that I'm blanking on.

Fair point.  Billings has improved but sort of fell off in season.  You may be right.  But the Bengals also got Atkins in 4th and everyone thought he was too small.  

Wren has a first step that seems intense and he can bull rush well, like a bull.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Best Pick.
Ryan Findley. already is mechanically sound and
drafted on smarts and anticipation.
4th RD pick that could come at a bargain price if he can really be a
franchise QB.

Worst Pick.
Drew Sample.
Round 2 is for guys that can be difference makers
the Browns drafted Greedy Williams. best man to man CB in the draft.
Sample will play how many snaps a game?
15 to 20....maybe.

Sleeper pick.
Germaine Pratt.
Im calling him a sleeper pick based on all the hype and pub the 2 Devins got.
hes got a bigger radius then those 2 thats a huge plus.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 08:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Don't we always seem to get huge DT's with a lot of potential in the draft in Rounds 4-6?

Maybe that Geno Atkins guy? Domata Peko was pretty damn good too.
Reply/Quote
Grade-C-,,Best Williams,,,Worst Sample,,,Sleeper Michael Jordan
Reply/Quote
Total Grade : A+

Best pick : Germaine Pratt LB

Worst pick : I guess Rodney Anderson even though it was a good pick, i might of taken David Long Jr here instead.

Sleeper, Renell Wren, dude has crazy talent.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 08:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Don't we always seem to get huge DT's with a lot of potential in the draft in Rounds 4-6?

I remember they took DT Jason Shirley in the 5th round in 2008 that guy was huge 6’5 340lbs. I was excited when they picked him ,he sucked tho. They tried moving him to guard a few years later ,surprisingly that didn’t work out either. But we’ve been pretty successful in the 4th round drafting d-lineman overall.
Reply/Quote
B-.

Best Non-Jonah Pick was Jump 23. He’s going to be in the rotation immediately.
Worst pick was easily Sample. Davis #2. He’s not NFL caliber.

Sleeper is Rodney Anderson. If he’s healthy he’s a really good back.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Can I put the worst pick and sleeper as the same person?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Last time Bengals had someone like Sample also was drafted in 2nd round almost at the exact same spot was:

Reggie Kelly.  He was awesome workhorse but not really noticed by fans.  

Samples stats probably won’t be great but I feel like raw numbers probably won’t show his impact and value. When Mixon has a great season or breaks a long run for a TD from Samples block or the impact of two TE sets on a defense. I wasn’t thrilled with the pick but I am more relaxed then previous years because of Zach Taylor. I think he is a very confident young bright coach with a plan and drafting Sample was a big part of his plan even if the individual stats won’t back his impact it will have a greater impact on the overall team.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:34 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Can I put the worst pick and sleeper as the same person?

sure I guess
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Grade - A-
Best pick: Tie between Jonah Williams, Michael Jordan, and Trayveon Williams
Worst pick: Drew Sample (though there have been reports today of teams saying he wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round)
Sleeper: Drew Sample
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:49 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Grade - A-
Best pick: Tie between Jonah Williams, Michael Jordan, and Trayveon Williams
Worst pick: Drew Sample (though there have been reports today of teams saying he wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round)
Sleeper: Drew Sample

where have you read this?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
What's funny is when the Bengals made their 2nd round selection everyone on here was probably screaming at the tv. " why didn't you dumbasses draft the LB Wilson out of Alabama" though nobody would admit it now.

Best Pick: Drew Sample
Worst Pick: Drew Sample
Sleeper Pick: Drew Sample
Reply/Quote
Best Pick: Jonah by far. Will be the best OL in this class. He could do a lot to improve the offense immediately.

Worst pick: Sample. Just would have liked to have seen something else in 2. Hopefully he's a hammer in the run game and becomes a difference maker for them. His production is not 2nd round worthy, but I read things that say his quarterback at UW was really bad at finding open receivers. We shall see.

Sleeper: MJ. They traded up to get this guy. He's got just about everything you ant in an interior lineman. I think there's a chance, albeit a small one that he starts at RG on opening day and Miller becomes the 2019 Travelle Wharton.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 11:25 PM)samhain Wrote: Best Pick: Jonah by far.  Will be the best OL in this class.  He could do a lot to improve the offense immediately.  

Worst pick: Sample.  Just would have liked to have seen something else in 2.  Hopefully he's a hammer in the run game and becomes a difference maker for them.  His production is not 2nd round worthy, but I read things that say his quarterback at UW was really bad at finding open receivers. We shall see.

Sleeper: MJ.  They traded up to get this guy.  He's got just about everything you ant in an interior lineman.  I think there's a chance, albeit a small one that he starts at RG on opening day and Miller becomes the 2019 Travelle Wharton.

I cannot see how the Bengals Board would place Sample so high on their board.  Greedy W was there.  I just think they wanted Risner, traded back and said F--k it lets get the best blocking TE in college.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Total Grade: B- to C+
Best Pick: Jonah Williams
Worst Pick: Drew Sample, honorable mention, Rodney Anderson
Sleeper: Renell Wren

Rationale: The Bengals upgraded weaknesses at RT and LB, but arguably did nowhere near enough to solidify a putrid LB corps that will again be the weakest link on the defense. The team badly needs difference makers, and arguably only netted two (Williams and Pratt). Wren, Jordan, Williams, and Brown are intriguing. Sample, Finley, Davis, and Anderson feel like underwhelming picks.

As to the UDFA’s , I rather like the Stanley Wilson signing, and hope his Bengals experience ends better than the last Stanley Wilson. The Bengals could have used another WR to compete with an underachieving 3-5th WR group. Wilson may be that guy. He’s got good hands, tested well, and has produced with underwhelming QB play.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote