Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best WR Draft in Decades
(12-06-2019, 10:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If they get Burrow, get one of his big play guys, Justin Jefferson.  Great size, speed, and length.  Might be there in the middle rounds.

Jefferson is probably going to be an early to mid 2nd. I think we are looking at WR more in day 3 but even then there will be some really good guys there. 
Reply/Quote
List of WR prospects and grades along with scouting reports. This is just an insane class.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 06:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: List of WR prospects and grades along with scouting reports. This is just an insane class.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Obviously, there's not room on the league for everyone.  So, are teams going to just cut bait with present players and load up with new talent?  Is this heavily loaded WR class going to lower the free agent value of existing stars?

I ask you those questions not in jest, but because I know that you have put a lot of time into mastering your craft, therefore your opinion carries some weight.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 07:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Obviously, there's not room on the league for everyone.  So, are teams going to just cut bait with present players and load up with new talent?  Is this heavily loaded WR class going to lower the free agent value of existing stars?

I ask you those questions not in jest, but because I know that you have put a lot of time into mastering your craft, therefore your opinion carries some weight.

The answer is, maybe. Back of the roster type guys will churn but the total number of prospects compared to roster spots needed is still relatively low. I think it lowers the value of veterans like an Emanuel Sanders who is on his last leg, probably makes his contract a one or two year deal with low guarantee so if that team does get one of these rookies they can get out . A guy like AJ for instance is going to have suitors who want to win now but have slightly longer term aspirations.

Overall the depth of a class like this simply pushes these guys later in the draft. You will be drafting guys on day 3 who will be pushing for regular season reps.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 07:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: The answer is, maybe. Back of the roster type guys will churn but the total number of prospects compared to roster spots needed is still relatively low. I think it lowers the value of veterans like an Emanuel Sanders who is on his last leg, probably makes his contract a one or two year deal  with low guarantee so if that team does get one of these rookies they can get out . A guy like AJ for instance is going to have suitors who want to win now but have slightly longer term aspirations.

Overall the depth of a class like this simply pushes these guys later in the draft. You will be drafting guys on day 3 who will be pushing for regular season reps.

Thanks for the opinion, it makes complete sense.

On another draft trend related topic.  It's been fairly well noted by many football fans that CFB just hasn't been turning out NFL ready OTs in recent years.  Largely in part to the style of offense featured in many of the successful CFB programs.  It's also been said that this is the best OT draft in a few years, do you agree with that?  (In my opinion, the interior OL stock is the same as it has always been.  That's why I'm asking specifically about the Tackle position)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 12:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Denzel Mims and Isaiah Hodges are a couple outside receivers I have my eye on they will likely be 3rd round picks. Mims is probably the most explosive WR in the draft and Hodges is an AJ Green clone.

A late round guy I'm watching is Joe Reed.

(12-05-2019, 12:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: Collin Johnson, Michel Pittman, Nico Collins, Brandon Aiyuk all guys who could be around in the 3rd or 4th and could come in and be effective year 1. This class is just so friggin deep.

Wow, didn't realize how deep this Draft is till the names start getting named. Heard it was deep but I watched quite a few of 
these guys and they impressed me big time. Shenault is another I really liked and he is versatile.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 07:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for the opinion, it makes complete sense.

On another draft trend related topic.  It's been fairly well noted by many football fans that CFB just hasn't been turning out NFL ready OTs in recent years.  Largely in part to the style of offense featured in many of the successful CFB programs.  It's also been said that this is the best OT draft in a few years, do you agree with that?  (In my opinion, the interior OL stock is the same as it has always been.  That's why I'm asking specifically about the Tackle position)

Tackle has definitely struggled but I think the issues go down to the high school level. So many more teams are running spread offenses at the high school level and just being asked to get in the way of somebody, technique has really regressed overall.

As to this class, yes it’s very talented and mainly because a lot of the top prospects are coming from programs that traditionally value good O line technique. I am a little leery of some of the guys in this class as a few are physical specimens with questionable technique but I’d still say Jonah would be the only tackle from last year in the top 5 this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 08:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: Tackle has definitely struggled but I think the issues go down to the high school level. So many more teams are running spread offenses at the high school level and just being asked to get in the way of somebody, technique has really regressed overall.

As to this class, yes it’s very talented and mainly because a lot of the top prospects are coming from programs that traditionally value good O line technique. I am a little leery of some of the guys in this class as a few are physical specimens with questionable technique but I’d still say Jonah would be the only tackle from last year in the top 5 this year.

Thanks again for the opinion.  I won't continue to bog down the WR thread with OL talk.   ThumbsUp

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bengals really need Wide Receivers. They could move on from everyone besides Tyler Boyd at this point.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Kj hill is gonna be the steal of the draft
Reply/Quote
So we need more draft picks. I sure hope we can get something for Glenn dalton and Kirkpatrick . We probably need to trade down in the 2nd too for more picks
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 11:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: Carries no risk really. It's a one year deal for a veteran player that will need to pass a physical upon trade. You don't look at it as 18 Million guaranteed, you look at it as his total salary year 1 because if he is on your roster after week 1 his salary is guaranteed anyways so it really doesn't matter. There will be plenty of teams who will give him a contract with 18 Million realized in the first year of the deal, most will want to front load any deal with him due to his age. Teams trying to win now aren't going to risk drafting a WR where rookie production is so hit and miss. Tyreek Hill resigned so he isn't a FA option and there is still a possibility Cooper gets tagged if the Cowboys can get a deal done with Dak.

The last comment is just ignorant so no real discussion here.

There is risk. 1. He hasn't played for a year and a half. 2. He wants to sign with a team of his choice that give HIM his best deal not who gives the  Bengals a sweet deal. 3. His age. 4. What team has 18 million late in the preseason to sign FAs? 5. Tying up one tenth of your salary cap on a player who doesn't want to be here when that money could be used on filling hole at other positions. So ,yes, there are definitely risks associated with tagging AJ.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 09:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think the play is to move him after the season. Teams may be thinking we will let him walk so a tag may be needed to force other teams to pay up which will come with a portion of dead cap, but I think it's worth it. I can see the other side though, if we are going to draft a WR #1 overall you can help make him look good by letting him throw to AJ Green. I can see both sides of it but I lean in the trade him camp.

I wonder if AJ and his agent are looking closely at the Patriots....If Brady comes back, get him AJ Green and with that defense?  Well, I am unsure, but if a team tries to sign a guy from the franchise tag, is it one or two first round picks they forfeit?  Remember, the Pats are usually picking at the bottom of Rd 1 and they almost always trade back.  

Just wondering.  

And how strange would it be if Brady DIDN'T go back, and they signed Dalton and Green?  
Reply/Quote
If the WR class is as great as some think, then AJ's value plummets more and team should get a very good team friendly 1 or 2 year deal.

He has missed a season and a half so value already declined big time, if ton of talented young guys cheaper, then AJ Green's agent may be inclined to suggest to AJ to stay put for 10 to 12 million in 2020.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 01:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If the WR class is as great as some think, then AJ's value plummets more and team should get a very good team friendly 1 or 2 year deal.

He has missed a season and a half so value already declined big time, if ton of talented young guys cheaper, then AJ Green's agent may be inclined to suggest to AJ to stay put for 10 to 12 million in 2020.

Nah not really. Even really good WRs usually take a year to acclimate in the NFL, not always but if your win now you can’t risk a long acclimation period. Aj’s value is to a team that is in win right now mode. To me the move is the Saints if Brees returns or the Patriots if Brady comes back. Now some people’s idea of what his value has been from the start I think is off. I only ever thought we’d get a 2nd and maybe a kicker early day 3 pick. People who think he’s pulling a first probably are going to be upset good WR class or not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 09:01 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals really need Wide Receivers. They could move on from everyone besides Tyler Boyd at this point.

They just moved on from some perennial back-end guys last year.
I think they may move on from 1-2 guys.
I think the guys who could go are Damion Willis and Stanley Morgan.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Morgan I think stays for STs, in a Cody Core-like role.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 11:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They just moved on from some perennial back-end guys last year.
I think they may move on from 1-2 guys.
I think the guys who could go are Damion Willis and Stanley Morgan.

Behind Boyd you have John Ross Alex Erickson and Auden Tate. They can easily move on from at least 2 of those. 

Even if they resign Green wide receiver is a bigger need than fans want to admit especially outside receivers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 01:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Behind Boyd you have John Ross Alex Erickson and Auden Tate. They can easily move on from at least 2 of those. 

Even if they resign Green wide receiver is a bigger need than fans want to admit especially outside receivers.

Two of the three are on expiring deals next year so I'd think they both have a shot to find themselves traded away potentially. I thought Erickson would do a little more with the opportunistic he got this year, but I know the front office likes the guy so who knows. They will take one WR in this draft though, probably two if the Green situation still hasn't quite been figured out by the draft beyond a tag.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2020, 01:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Behind Boyd you have John Ross Alex Erickson and Auden Tate. They can easily move on from at least 2 of those. 

It doesn't make sense to move on from all of those guys you listed in one offseason.
They can remove Willis and/or Morgan with the vision of the new guy(s) to actually replace Tate, Erickson, and/or Ross.
But Ross, Erickson, and Tate are better than Morgan and Willis and therefore you replace the worse guys first.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote