Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best or Favorite Drummer of All-Time
Who's your favorite drummer of all-time?

If it's not the same, who do you think is the best?

I gotta go with Travis Barker from Blink 182, which is really weird because my old best friend, the driver in my wreck, loved punk music and his favorite band was Blink 182 (he was die-hard), whereas my other best friend, the passenger, and I, were both into hip-hop and rap.

is pretty amazing.

Then he does rap songs like this, which, even if you don't like rap, it's pretty impressive.

I like this one of him doing Soulja Boy- Crank That.

Who's yours?
Reply/Quote
As far as best drummer...this thread begins and ends with John Bohham.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
Neil Peart - RUSH Next question.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 08:31 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Who's your favorite drummer of all-time?

If it's not the same, who do you think is the best?

I gotta go with Travis Barker from Blink 182, which is really weird because my old best friend, the driver in my wreck, loved punk music and his favorite band was Blink 182 (he was die-hard), whereas my other best friend, the passenger, and I, were both into hip-hop and rap.

is pretty amazing.

Then he does rap songs like this, which, even if you don't like rap, it's pretty impressive.

I like this one of him doing Soulja Boy- Crank That.

Who's yours?

I have 2. Mike Portnoy and Neil Peart.

I'm sure some fanboy is going to show up eventually and say John Bonham, or some shit. Just ignore them. Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
My fave would be Neil Peart from Rush.

Bonham from Zep, Keith Moon of the Who, Roger Taylor from Queen were also big influences for me when I was learning to play. I also like Taylor Hawkins from Foo Fighters.

Animal from The Muppets is pretty baddass.
Reply/Quote
Matt Cameron- soundgarden-pearl jam

Glenn Kotche- Wilco
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 09:04 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Neil Peart - RUSH    Next question.

My thoughts also..,,  rep
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
For me it's a dead heat - Peart and Bonham
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 09:04 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Neil Peart - RUSH    Next question.

It would take an expert drummer just to set up the gear he used.  As far as rock drummers I put him at the top of the list.  One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never saw Rush live.

But I'll throw out Bill Bruford and Omar Hakim.  Both are accomplihed jazz musicians who have deep roots in rock and popular music.  Bruford played for Yes, Genesis, and King Crimson.  Hakim has played for a long eclectic list of big names including Sting, Miles Davis, Dire Straits, David Bowie, Journey, Michael Jackson, and Daft Punk.   

As for straight jazz drummers I go with Jack DeJohnette
Reply/Quote
Jimmy Lester

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/jimmy-lester-mn0000077130/credits
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It would take an expert drummer just to set up the gear he used.  As far as rock drummers I put him at the top of the list.  One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never saw Rush live.

I saw Rush life in Lexington KY. Luckily we had sort of a side view and we had a good view of Peart. The guy has/had boxes of drumsticks beside him. He was constantly twirling, flipping, and throwing drumstick. He would lose one, grab another, and not miss a beat (no pun intended). It was amazing to watch.

I will say the highlight of the Concert was when they played Red Barchetta. They played a simulation on a big screen that made you feel like you were driving a car (This was long before all the current day effects).
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Mitch Mitchell. Listen to the drum line in Jimi Hendrix's 'Fire'.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It would take an expert drummer just to set up the gear he used.

[Image: 020813-peartkit-1.jpg]

For more details see

http://www.drummagazine.com/lessons/post/neil-peart-masterclass/P2/
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
One day it will be this guy!

[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
My all-time favorite is Michael Giles, King Crimson's original drummer. His dynamics were impeccable, and paved the way for generations to follow when it came to flirting with time signatures. He still puts on clinics in Europe, and is one of the kindest gentlemen you'll ever meet.

Billy Cobham runs a close second for me, and is likely more talented. My preference for Giles lies in style.

Lenny White is just one monstrous drummer, and my first exposure to him was when he played for Chick Corea's Return To Forever. Breathtaking.
Bill Bruford came to be a favorite during his days with Yes, and then when he joined King Crimson.

Then there is Terry Bozzio, one of the most complete kit drummers you will ever see. His total 4 limb independence is something to marvel. There is so much about him to discuss, I refer to this for the sake of brevity here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Bozzio
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
My two major drumming influences were Buddy Rich and Ringo Starr. I'm just into that kind of thing. Peart's work is amazing, though, no doubt about that. I would like Travis Barker more if I didn't blame him (I know it is not his fault, but the timing is what it is) for the direction Blink 182 took post Dude Ranch.

I probably have no single drummer I consider the best. Being a drummer I appreciate multiples for what they play. But I'm also horrible at remembering names so I couldn't tell you even the bands which I love the drum work in. I just know it when I hear it.
Reply/Quote
I am not trying to be a dick, but Blink-182 is not punk. I actually enjoy them, but they are not punk. Neither is Green Day, The Offspring, Sum 41, and all of those other mall rock bands from the 90s. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 07:43 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: I am not trying to be a dick, but Blink-182 is not punk. I actually enjoy them, but they are not punk. Neither is Green Day, The Offspring, Sum 41, and all of those other mall rock bands from the 90s.  ThumbsUp
The music police are here...^^^

Dave Lombardo from Slayer is the best drummer of all time.  I also think it's a amazing when a drummer can sing while playing (It's harder than it looks) ala Peter Criss from Kiss and Levon Helm fom the Band.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 08:24 PM)jason Wrote: I also think it's a amazing when a drummer can sing while playing (It's harder than it looks) ala Peter Criss from Kiss and Levon Helm fom the Band.

I think Genesis had one of those too.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote