Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Biden's Mexican Now?!
(09-17-2020, 02:22 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Well, he did post a picture of him eating a Philly cheesesteak.

So I think he knows what Pennsylvanians want in their leader.

Posting pics of food on social media like a dumbass millennial.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 10:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, I get it, you find Trump so repugnant that Biden can be deficient in myriad ways and you'll still prefer him.  As I have told people in the past, better than shit can still be crap.  The problem is that many voters aren't as strident in their opinions as you are.  Regardless I'm that odd guy who would prefer a good candidate for POTUS, not one that's slightly better than someone I believe is awful.

Interesting.  Given that gendered language is intrinsic to all the languages descended from Latin what are your thoughts on the whole Latinx movement?  As I stated above, everyone I know finds the term offensive and comical.  Their position being that it's disrespectful to their linguistic heritage.

I think we would all prefer a good candidate rather than a candidate that is arguably less shitty than the other guy. But, those are our choices.  Again.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because there's 37 million Mexican Americans in the country, as opposed to 3.3 million Puerto Ricans, so why would he pander to the smaller group?

But, you wrote . . .

(09-17-2020, 01:21 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Then it's even more stupid on Joe's part because I'd think his main target audience to pander to would be Mexicans, not Puerto Ricans!

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Why would you write Mexicans if you meant Americans? How many of those 37 million Mexican Americans live in Kissimmee, FL?

Quote:It's like this: if he were pandering to a group of German people, would he play French music just because they're both from Europe and both groups are the same race?

Right!  The song isn't "Mexican." So why would Biden pander to "Mexicans" with a song that isn't "Mexican"?
Reply/Quote
[Image: BB1979iE.img?h=546&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=...=853&y=910]

Quote:Des-pa-cito

Quiero respirar tu cuello despacito
Deja que te diga cosas al oído
Para que te acuerdes si no estás conmigo
Des-pa-cito
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 11:20 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Trump doesn't "have me" bro.  I like his policies more than progressive policies. Oh, you might want to rethink the mooch connection.  lol

I have voted Dem numerous times.  I even voted for Obama.

If you're compelled to explain why Trump didn't mean what he said about disinfectant injections then Trump does have you.  You just don't realize it.
Reply/Quote
What is the difference between a "Mexican"American and an american ? Is a Mexican "american" less american that other american people for you have to call them this way ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:59 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: What is the difference between a "Mexican"American and an american ? Is a Mexican "american" less american that other american people for you have to call them this way ?

That's a thing that's been going on for at least 2 decades now. People aren't just black or hispanic. Now they're African American or Mexican American or Italian American or Irish American or whatever. Some people use it to identify with their heritage. Others use the terms to separate people into differing groups.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
So you guys are european americans ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 04:34 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: So you guys are european americans ?

No.  I can understand your confusion about this as I quite honestly think the whole concept is inane.  But it's been quite common for about thirty years plus here to be "country of ethnic origin" American.  This is generally not done by people of European decent, although as Phil stated it does happen.  It is usually done by ethnic minorities, generally, again, to show their pride in their ethnic heritage and not allow themselves to be "subsumed by US culture".  The whole melting pot concept has been dead for some time now.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:59 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: What is the difference between a "Mexican"American and an american ? Is a Mexican "american" less american that other american people for you have to call them this way ?

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If you're compelled to explain why Trump didn't mean what he said about disinfectant injections then Trump does have you.  You just don't realize it.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 04:34 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: So you guys are european americans ?

No, because mainstream White culture has overtime merged all European ethnicities into the concept of "White", though that wasn't true 100 years ago. 

Regionally, however, some people will specify "Italian", "Irish", etc, usually if there's a significant population in the area. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Most of us whities are.  The dominant culture in the US is Anglo.  People like me (english german scottish french heritage) hardly need to say we're "English-American." Our ancestors were "American" from the get go. They didn't have to "mix" in what they already were, so no need for hyphens. In the first 90 years of the nation, Northern Europeans, including French but excepting Irish, were racially included in this dominant culture.

Post Civil War, with the influx of immigration from Eastern and southern Europe (immigration from East Asia blocked), markers appeared to differentiate Polish or Italian or Russian immigrants from "normal" Americans. These groups were racialized as less white. Trending "Blacker" on the white - Black spectrum of US social valuation, along with Latinos. Italians often fraternized with Blacks--still the lowest of the low--and worked in similar menial jobs. Social and economic exclusion reinforced ethnic identities during this period. Most Europeans of all ethnicities considered Jews from their country as distinct from them.  And Jews of all nations saw they had more than religion in common.

Today Black and newly constructed ethnic identities emerge in the wake of this long-established system of legal/political ethnic differentiation, still following its logic in many ways. Serious differences between whites of European descent gradually disappeared during the struggle against legal segregation (1954-76). Since then virtually all Europeans are now "white" vis-a-vis immigrants from Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East--and of course those of African descent.  Some now lobby for Jews to be included as well. 

Immigrants from places like Asia and Latin America are, of course, very different from one another--far more different than French and Americans-- and often don't self Identify the way white Americans identify them. Most Americans are fine with American culture and don't see why others shouldn't want to learn English and mix. Others (as in your country) are worried about immigrants diluting their 'civilization' and want to keep them out and reduce the participation of those already here.
Reply/Quote