Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big Whit?
I may be missing something, but Whit is a LT and we need a RT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The reason this line sucked rope the first 5 weeks was lack of familiarity with the scheme blocking assignments and each other. Now people want to bring in 41 yo with bad back and knees not in football shape who has no knowledgeable of the playbook to play against the best in the league the next month?

Try bringing Devinn Cochran off the practice squad. He played well against the overall first pick in the draft while at gtech last year and at least knows the plays they want to run. He could backup at least
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 10:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: CTB ain't ready. The Rams are out of it. Perhaps Jalen Ramsey will retire tomorrow, unretire on Tuesday, get cut by the Rams on Wednesday, and sign with the Bengals on Thursday

Shut up
Reply/Quote
Where would Whit play? He's been very vocal in the past that he can't just switch sides. For another, a guy who's publicly bashed the Bengals numerous times over contract negotiations is going to come back and play for peanuts after already having won a ring last year?
Reply/Quote
With La’el’s torn ACL and MCL we might desperately need him now. I’d take him right now over Carman and Adeniji
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
[Image: 75j677.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Peter Schrager thought Whit coming home was a brilliant idea. He sent out a 911 on the show this morning

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Again, I think everyone can appreciate the fairy tale aspect to such a move. The issue is the logistics of actually pulling it off make it highly improbable. Getting Whit to want to play is one of the easier aspects I'd guess to this idea.
Reply/Quote
Not happening in anybody's universe. Likely not in playing shape, old, not familiar with the playbook, under contract with another team.
Not even a consideration by anybody in authority.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 11:38 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: I thought after so many years in the league you don’t have to pass through waivers?  Don’t they become free agents?

(12-26-2022, 12:09 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes you are correct. Rama could cut Whitt or Ramsey and they would be free agents.
I don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened.

I would love to see Whitt retire officially as a Bengal

I get confused on that as well.  But according to the NFL website he would be subject to waivers.  The veteran status only applies before the trade deadline.  After the trade deadline veteran players are also subject to waivers.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-players/nfl-waiver-system-overview/

Quote:Once the waiver period starts each year through the trading deadline, a vested veteran — a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system if the club decides to release him. That means if a team decides to release a vested veteran, the league considers his contract to be terminated immediately and he is free to negotiate and sign with any other club. From the trading deadline through the end of the regular season, vested veterans are subject to the waiver process.
So even if the Rams cut him a team the Bengals may face later on with a higher waiver orders than the Bengals could claim him just to screw the Bengals.  Or a team that also needs a tackle.  Even if Whit refused to play for them I think he would still be unavailable to other teams.  So given that and we also don't know what kind of shape Whit is in after traveling all season with the Thursday football broadcast team I don't think Whit playing here is very likely.  But as stated above stranger things have happened so who knows.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 03:57 AM)Whatever Wrote: Where would Whit play?  He's been very vocal in the past that he can't just switch sides.  For another, a guy who's publicly bashed the Bengals numerous times over contract negotiations is going to come back and play for peanuts after already having won a ring last year?

EH, depends on how much he misses the game.  2 regular season games, more realistically 1, plus a postseason definitely isn't the physical beatdown that a full season of football would be, so there's that. He wouldn't have to be away from his family for the duration of a full season, either, and that was a big deal to him.  Also, there's zero uncertainty about whether or not the team is primed for a playoff run, so the idea of playing for nothing is not a thing.  

As for switching, I see his saying that as more of a money thing.  A guy like him wants LT money, so switching to RT when he's still playing is something he'd probably want to avoid.  Whit played several positions on the line in his time in the league.  If the backups can move around, I imagine a guy that was arguably one of the best in the league for a decade can figure it out.  

The relationship with the team is an interesting question, but I think this is a different Bengals organization.  Willie was critical of the team, and he's in the ROH. Chad had his tantrums, too, but he's back in their good graces in a very obvious way.  Frankly, it's hard to find Bengal greats that haven't had issues with ownership in the past.  Time away seems to heal the wounds for a lot of those guys.  The organization is making it's most sincere effort to acknowledge it's history and great players at this very moment.  Whit would be a great place to continue that effort.  No doubt he belongs in the ROH, and no doubt he's a top bare minimum 15 all-time Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 10:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: There is literally no way this happens. Beyond the fact he isn’t in playing shape, LA would need to cut him but not just cut him they’d need to rework his contract to league minimum before cutting him. Then all the potential opponents we are behind in the waiver wire would need to not put a claim in. The idea that a playoff adversary wouldn’t claim him and force him right back into retirement is a pipe dream.

I think vets if certain years don't go thru waivers 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 10:45 AM)dr tarzan Wrote: Not happening in anybody's universe.    Likely not in playing shape, old, not familiar with the playbook, under contract with another team.
Not even a consideration by anybody in authority.

If weddle can do it, whit can too from a playing shape standpoint 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:02 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: I think vets if certain years don't go thru waivers 

Negative. After the trade deadline all players do...literally to prevent this scenario.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:04 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: If weddle can do it, whit can too from a playing shape standpoint 

It's a lot easier to stay in shape as a DB then lineman shape. I don't know what Whit has been doing but sometimes they can lose 50-75 lbs after they stop playing since they don't need to keep their weight up anymore. That's not something you can just easily put back on. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:39 AM)TheFan Wrote: It's a lot easier to stay in shape as a DB then lineman shape. I don't know what Whit has been doing but sometimes they can lose 50-75 lbs after they stop playing since they don't need to keep their weight up anymore. That's not something you can just easily put back on. 

The eagles signed two guys just a few weeks ago to play DT. First game they had an impact.

Whit could Be ready in 2 weeks to contribute. He is a borderline HOFer.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:47 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: The eagles signed two guys just a few weeks ago to play DT.  First game they had an impact.  

Whit could Be ready in 2 weeks to contribute.  He is a borderline HOFer.

A bigger issue regarding Whit, even disregarding the logistics and luck necessary in order to sign him, would be that he would be switching to RT, where he has never played, after a year of being out of football. 

I agree with Au. This is a fun thing to think about, but realistically it has very little chance of happening. I am not entirely sure it would be a net positive for Cincinnati. 
Reply/Quote
I give this less than a 5% chance of it happening, but holy shit, if this happened it would be absolutely incredible.
Reply/Quote
It is cool to think about but I don’t see it happening. I’d be all for it though…Probably a much better chance of bringing Spain back and giving him a shot at OT which he has played from time to time. I think Prince is still on the PS right? I’d expect to see him called up and he may be a better option than Adeniji.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:47 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: The eagles signed two guys just a few weeks ago to play DT.  First game they had an impact.  

Whit could Be ready in 2 weeks to contribute.  He is a borderline HOFer.

Were they retired and part of an announcing crew or just not signed to a team? There's a difference between being a FA, staying in shape, and waiting for the call vs retiring. 

That said, I have no idea what sort of shape Whit is in so this could not be a factor at all. As of June of this year though he had lost 25lbs and was planning to lose more. Like others have said, he'd also be switching positions and with an offense he's never played with before.
Reply/Quote