Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big Whit?
(12-25-2022, 09:27 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Sounds like his contract with Amazon ends on Thursday... Perhaps a reunion?  

Whit acknowledged a co-worker about the possibility on twitter, which is why I'm bothering to make a thread.  Likely a 10% chance.

Storybook ending however potentially :)

I know it has a very long shot air about it, but there has to be a tiny part of him thinking "They win it all with me".

No slight to Adeniji, who I see as an upgrade to Isiah Prince of last year, but he will be facing some really damn good pass rushers and one of the things that has made this offense so lethal is not having to have TEs or RBs in on every snap. 

No idea how the money would make it work, but maybe an incentive tied to winning it all?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 12:20 AM)Earendil Wrote: I may be missing something, but Whit is a LT and we need a RT.

He has played RT, and what made Whit able to play until the age he retired was the fact that he was so technically sound.  He just knows angles and counters so well.  It's unlikely, but it sure would be a hell of a story.  
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 12:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know it has a very long shot air about it, but there has to be a tiny part of him thinking "They win it all with me".

No slight to Adeniji, who I see as an upgrade to Isiah Prince of last year, but he will be facing some really damn good pass rushers and one of the things that has made this offense so lethal is not having to have TEs or RBs in on every snap. 

No idea how the money would make it work, but maybe an incentive tied to winning it all?  

Adeniji might be facing some great pass rushers, but it’s not like Collins was doing any good against them for the most part. Collins strength was his run blocking.

Adeniji will be worse in run blocking, but if his pass pro is let’s say only a little better than Collins’? Bengals will take that all day
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 12:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know it has a very long shot air about it, but there has to be a tiny part of him thinking "They win it all with me".

From what I read, he's an unrestricted free agent in the NFL. So it's just a matter of signing him.

Isn't he a LT? Collins is a RT.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 10:40 AM)Au165 Wrote: Again, I think everyone can appreciate the fairy tale aspect to such a move. The issue is the logistics of actually pulling it off make it highly improbable. Getting Whit to want to play is one of the easier aspects I'd guess to this idea.

If they start talking now.  Whit starts his own workout regimen and gauges how he feels.  Say he feels pretty damn good.  It isn't like he's been out of football for 3 years, it has been 11 months.  Then the unthinkable (dream) happens:  The pathetic Broncos beat the Chiefs and the Bengals beat the Bills on Monday night.  Now, Whit knows it is almost a guarantee that the Bengals will have a first round bye.  He keeps training, even harder now.  The agent is working out the money end.

Bengals beat the Rats and secure the one seed.  Whit would have two full weeks to get things down before the first playoff game and they could platoon him to ease him in to the game.  That would mean he would have a full month before the Bengals have to play the winner of what we all believe the winner of the #2 and #3 seed would be (either KC or Buffalo).  

It is a long shot, but it isn't entirely impossible.  
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:39 AM)TheFan Wrote: It's a lot easier to stay in shape as a DB then lineman shape. I don't know what Whit has been doing but sometimes they can lose 50-75 lbs after they stop playing since they don't need to keep their weight up anymore. That's not something you can just easily put back on. 

I disagree from a cardio and explosive movement standpoint. Whit still looks big and on a podcast hinted and wanting to do a playoff run just like this. 
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 09:49 PM)pally Wrote:

He already retired as a Ram.. Mellow He's have to reretire..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 12:59 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Adeniji might be facing some great pass rushers, but it’s not like Collins was doing any good against them for the most part. Collins strength was his run blocking.

Adeniji will be worse in run blocking, but if his pass pro is let’s say only a little better than Collins’? Bengals will take that all day

Collins had a 65.9 pass blocking grade on 13 pass blocking snaps in the Pats game against one of the better edge rushers in the league.  That was higher than Jonah scored.  Collins had come a long way in pass blocking since the early part of the season.  That being said, you are dead on that he is the best run blocker on the line.  

Adeniji graded out a 20.4 in pass blocking in his 45 pass blocking snaps.  

I am not trying to say they have no chance with Adeniji, but if there were a way to have a Whit reunion, I would at least explore it.  I gave a longer answer to Au if you want to see the logistics of how I think it would work. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 01:09 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Collins had a 65.9 pass blocking grade on 13 pass blocking snaps in the Pats game against one of the better edge rushers in the league.  That was higher than Jonah scored.  Collins had come a long way in pass blocking since the early part of the season.  That being said, you are dead on that he is the best run blocker on the line.  

Adeniji graded out a 20.4 in pass blocking in his 45 pass blocking snaps.  

I am not trying to say they have no chance with Adeniji, but if there were a way to have a Whit reunion, I would at least explore it.  I gave a longer answer to Au if you want to see the logistics of how I think it would work. 

Collins was having his best game of the season against the pats in terms of pass pro, and who he was going against. But like I said, he wasn’t good in pass pro MOST of the time.

You can’t say Collins has been improving when he stunk it up the last 2 games before the New England one.

He was really really bad against Tampa and Cleveland. So, no. He was not improving
Reply/Quote
Just send Elizabeth to talk to him and his agent.

I predict he'll sign if he's physically able to play.

It would be so totally sweet.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 01:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Collins was having his best game of the season against the pats in terms of pass pro, and who he was going against. But like I said, he wasn’t good in pass pro MOST of the time.

You can’t say Collins has been improving when he stunk it up the last 2 games before the New England one.

He was really really bad against Tampa and Cleveland. So, no. He was not improving

He absolutely improved from where he was at the beginning of the season.  I'm going to give him a bit of a pass in the Cleveland game.  That was the first game without Chase and Burrow was holding the ball a lot.  Fell behind, played right into their hands.  

But he was having a very good game before the injury and against the same guys, Adeniji graded a 20.4, which is awful.  
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 01:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He absolutely improved from where he was at the beginning of the season.  I'm going to give him a bit of a pass in the Cleveland game.  That was the first game without Chase and Burrow was holding the ball a lot.  Fell behind, played right into their hands.  

But he was having a very good game before the injury and against the same guys, Adeniji graded a 20.4, which is awful.  

.....The Cleveland game where there bengals won. The Trenton Irwin flea flicker.

Collins was awful in that game, and then he followed it up with another awful game against Tampa

1 good game out of the last 3 doesn’t equate to improving
Reply/Quote
As a fan of Whitworths and wanting to see the line hold up for Joey B, I would love it. I don’t know how realistic it is, but shoot if he has any desire to play, kick the tires and see if he’d come.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 01:03 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If they start talking now.  Whit starts his own workout regimen and gauges how he feels.  Say he feels pretty damn good.  It isn't like he's been out of football for 3 years, it has been 11 months.  Then the unthinkable (dream) happens:  The pathetic Broncos beat the Chiefs and the Bengals beat the Bills on Monday night.  Now, Whit knows it is almost a guarantee that the Bengals will have a first round bye.  He keeps training, even harder now.  The agent is working out the money end.

Bengals beat the Rats and secure the one seed.  Whit would have two full weeks to get things down before the first playoff game and they could platoon him to ease him in to the game.  That would mean he would have a full month before the Bengals have to play the winner of what we all believe the winner of the #2 and #3 seed would be (either KC or Buffalo).  

It is a long shot, but it isn't entirely impossible.  

Then anyone in the AFC puts a waiver claim in for him and sends him back into retirement.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 12:51 PM)TheFan Wrote: Were they retired and part of an announcing crew or just not signed to a team? There's a difference between being a FA, staying in shape, and waiting for the call vs retiring. 

That said, I have no idea what sort of shape Whit is in so this could not be a factor at all. As of June of this year though he had lost 25lbs and was planning to lose more. Like others have said, he'd also be switching positions and with an offense he's never played with before.

I mean, I think a guy like whit was always in shape and has stayed in shape. He is a monster at 6’7” 330 playing weight. Even if he has lost 25 lbs, he would still be a big 6’7” over 300 lbs.

If he signed on Friday (after his Amazon commitment) he would
have over 2 weeks to learn the playbook and get into the best football shape he could.

Additionally, no one in the league would be healthier. He graded out at 86 last year. I would think an 80% whit would be an upgrade at RT. Our run game might suffer (maybe), but he would likely hold his own on pass pro, even better than collins.

Idk, he said he is still his an itch to catch Jeff Saturday, for most wins by an OL.

“Whitworth had mentioned recently on a podcast that one of the things he’s thought about since retirement was the fact he finished just one game off becoming the winningest offensive lineman of all time.”
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 01:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: From what I read, he's an unrestricted free agent in the NFL. So it's just a matter of signing him.

Isn't he a LT? Collins is a RT.

He's under contract with the rams 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 01:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: Then anyone in the AFC puts a waiver claim in for him and sends him back into retirement.

Wrong. Vets don't go thru waivers wore 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 04:36 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Wrong. Vets don't go thru waivers wore 

Again... 

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-players/nfl-waiver-system-overview/

Quote:Once the waiver period starts each year through the trading deadline, a vested veteran — a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system if the club decides to release him. That means if a team decides to release a vested veteran, the league considers his contract to be terminated immediately and he is free to negotiate and sign with any other club. From the trading deadline through the end of the regular season, vested veterans are subject to the waiver process.

A recent example.  Mayfield was in his 5th season this year while playing at Carolina.  This meant that he was a vested veteran.  He was released by Carolina after the trade deadline and was subject to waivers where he was claimed off waivers by the Rams.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 04:37 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Again... 

A recent example.  Mayfield was in his 5th season this year while playing at Carolina.  This meant that he was a vested veteran.  He was released by Carolina after the trade deadline and was subject to waivers where he was claimed off waivers by the Rams.
Damn...
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 04:37 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Again... 

The article says thru the end of regular season though. I wonder what happens at season end?
Reply/Quote