Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Bengal draft day memory
What was your most memorable draft day for the Bengals.

Drafting Big Daddy in '94 was huge, but it was not as surprising as when we traded up to take Ki-Jana Carter.

Wilkenson is by far the most hyped player we have ever drafted. He was a very good player for us (we got a 1st and a 3rd round pick when we traded him to the Redskins), but he never lived up to the hype and pissed off a lot of Bengal fans with his comments about the city.

Ki-Jana was one of the best college RBs I have ever seen. He averaged 7.8 yards per carry his senior year at Penn State and scored 23 tds. For his career he rushed for 2829 yards and a 7.2 avg. I was pumped to hear that we traded up to get him. The Bengals won 7,8,and 7 games from '95 through '97. We had a top ten scoring offense in both '96 and '97 with Blake and Pickens. If Carter had stayed healthy we could have contended for the playoffs.

Also remember when we drafted Archie Griffin in the first round. I was a huge OSU fan back then and was certain he would be a big star in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Had a good vibe when we drafted Carson.

Bad vibe might have been Akili Smith when we turned down all those draft picks, as well as two future 1's and a 2nd. Lot of second guessing there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What was your most memorable draft day for the Bengals.

Gotta be the 2014 Draft at pick 111 in round 4.

We got a ton of consecutive starts out of him.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
Being a big FSU homer.....I was stoked when we landed Peter Warrick....what could have been.  Sad

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What was your most memorable draft day for the Bengals.

Drafting Big Daddy in '94 was huge, but it was not as surprising as when we traded up to take Ki-Jana Carter.

Wilkenson is by far the most hyped player we have ever drafted. He was a very good player for us (we got a 1st and a 3rd round pick when we traded him to the Redskins), but he never lived up to the hype and pissed off a lot of Bengal fans with his comments about the city.

Ki-Jana was one of the best college RBs I have ever seen. He averaged 7.8 yards per carry his senior year at Penn State and scored 23 tds. For his career he rushed for 2829 yards and a 7.2 avg. I was pumped to hear that we traded up to get him. The Bengals won 7,8,and 7 games from '95 through '97. We had a top ten scoring offense in both '96 and '97 with Blake and Pickens. If Carter had stayed healthy we could have contended for the playoffs.

Also remember when we drafted Archie Griffin in the first round. I was a huge OSU fan back then and was certain he would be a big star in the NFL.

The 2011 draft was awesome all-around, the 2013 one was spent in Jacksonville, watching Limp Bizkit, so the memories of that time were great, but the 2009 draft was the first I watched and I was SO hyped for almost everyone (save for Freddie Brown, as I knew absolutely nothing about him) and truly, we hit on every pick in that draft, aside from Brown and Vakapuna (who probably would've been a decent FB for us, if not for Jeremi and Pressley) with some players not working out due to whatever:

- Coffman due to not seeing the field (even though he did great when he did)
- Luigs due to career-ending injury
- Clinton was buried behind depth and we gave him away for a needed (but awful) CB in Kelly Jennings, in 2011.

- MJ
- 'dre
- Rey
- Huber
- Morgan Trent
- BScott

That's a great haul in any draft.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Best Memory-
Maybe when we took Carson Palmer #1.  That was kind of the end of the terrible 90's era for me. 

Worst Memory-
A couple really.
1. When we gave up New Orleans entire draft to stay put and draft Akili Smith. 
2. When we drafted Jerome Simpson in the 2nd round. My fist still hurts every now and then after slamming it thru a wall in my buddies basement. We needed DL help so bad that year, we got Keith Rivers in the first.  Much like needing OL help this year, I was sure we were getting our DL in the 2nd. And the next DL listed in Mayock's top 5 was my favorite ND player that year, Trevor Laws.  I was so excited, I stood up when the card came up to the podium, "and with the 46th pick of the 2008 draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select WR from Coastal Carolina, Jerome Simpson."  Whaaat!  Who in the hell was this guy?  We literally could have taken him in the 4th or 5th round that year.  Come to find out later, he had really big hands.  Yeaah!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Being a big FSU homer.....I was stoked when we landed Peter Warrick....what could have been.  Sad

I forgot about Warrick.  I was not living in Ohio then and was not even really into the internet.  So I was not following the Bengals as closely as I do now.  I did not even attend a Bengals game from 1978 to 2006.

But Warrick is a lot like Carter.  He was on of the most exciting college players I have ever seen.  I felt we had a lot more serious needs than a WR, but I was excited about getting Warrick. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:45 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Best Memory-
A couple really.
1. When we gave up New Orleans entire draft to stay put and draft Akili Smith. 
2. When we drafted Jerome Simpson in the 2nd round. My fist still hurts every now and then after slamming it thru a wall in my buddies basement. We needed DL help so bad that year, we got Keith Rivers in the first.  Much like needing OL help this year, I was sure we were getting our DL in the 2nd. And the next DL listed in Mayock's top 5 was my favorite ND player that year, Trevor Laws.  I was so excited, I stood up when the card came up to the podium, "and with the 46th pick of the 2008 draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select WR from Coastal Carolina, Jerome Simpson."  Whaaat!  Who in the hell was this guy?  We literally could have taken him in the 4th or 5th round that year.  Come to find out later, he had really big hands.  Yeaah!

Blame the Saints on both sitches there lol (well, MB on the first one, actually).

In hindsight, it is AWESOME that we didn't take Laws; he was terrible and at the very least, 'rome had some great games for us, plus the flip Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:45 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote:  "and with the 46th pick of the 2008 draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select WR from Coastal Carolina, Jerome Simpson."  Whaaat!  Who in the hell was this guy?  We literally could have taken him in the 4th or 5th round that year.  

No we couldn't.  Simpson was not that bad of a pick at all compared to the other WRs in that draft.  He ended up being more productive than 2 of the WRs taken before him and 5 of the other 9 WRs taken in the second round.

In fact he was a better pick than Trevor Laws. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I forgot about Warrick.  I was not living in Ohio then and was not even really into the internet.  So I was not following the Bengals as closely as I do now.  I did not even attend a Bengals game from 1978 to 2006.

But Warrick is a lot like Carter.  He was on of the most exciting college players I have ever seen.  I felt we had a lot more serious needs than a WR, but I was excited about getting Warrick. 

Yes....to be honest, I was very excited about Carter as well....just the FSU thing made the Warrick pick much more exciting for me.  You are right there were WAY more glaring needs than a WR, but I wasn't mad....at the time.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:33 PM)depthchart Wrote: Gotta be the 2014 Draft at pick 111 in round 4.

Why was that one of your best memories.  Did you think he would be a great player or were you just excited that the Bengals were aggressive enough to trade up to get him?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Blame the Saints on both sitches there lol (well, MB on the first one, actually).

In hindsight, it is AWESOME that we didn't take Laws; he was terrible and at the very least, 'rome had some great games for us, plus the flip Big Grin

and the flop.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:57 PM)Synric Wrote: and the flop.

LOL LOL

Fujita's reaction was awesome Big Grin
Reply/Quote
Gotta say fred....I was pretty fired up over the Palmer pick too.  We were finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, and this looked like the pick that would deliver us to the promised land.  

Reply/Quote
Echoing sentiments on the worst draft day.....Akili Smith.  I was like those Jets fans back in the 80s and early 90s when they announced that pick.....WTF?!?!?!?!?!? LMAO

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why was that one of your best memories.  Did you think he would be a great player or were you just excited that the Bengals were aggressive enough to trade up to get him?

Just playin...

I got fired up when we got AJ Green and then Dalton even though I wasn't sold on Dalton at the time.

What they were going to do to replace Palmer made that Draft exciting.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:33 PM)depthchart Wrote: Gotta be the 2014 Draft at pick 111 in round 4.

yeah but was it a moment when we drafted him for you? or were you like WHO? cause it hit commercial right after that
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 03:03 PM)depthchart Wrote: Just playin...

I got fired up when we got AJ Green and then Dalton even though I wasn't sold on Dalton at the time.

What they were going to do to replace Palmer made that Draft exciting.

Yeah ill say  after getting AJ green  I was happy then when they interviewed him in the green room and asked him who he wanted the bengals to grab as his QB... He said Dalton.

Then Grabbing Dalton was a great moment.

my big 2 memories are more about players we didn't get lol..

Wanted S Rambo from UGA....  Bengals on the Board...     Safety.....  UGA.....     SHAWN WILLIAMS....  (so its like YEs   YEs    WHAT!!!!)  lol

Oh... And the year we drafted Malauga... I wanted  James Laurenitus.  (son of Animal of the Road Warriors)   He went 1 pick before us...

But I also loved the Sanu story playing out....
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 03:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah but was it a moment when we drafted him for you? or were you like WHO?  cause it hit commercial right after that

Not really a big moment for me - just playing around.

I do remember us taking Bodine though and being OK with us adding a Center to compete. He didn't look bad for a mid round pick.

I just didn't realize that he would be penciled in as the starter until his contract ran out with no real high round center competition being added later for him to compete against.
Reply/Quote
Am not that old and have only been following the Draft for about the last 12 years or so but it has become an
obsession with me. Have to say when Billings fell all the way to us in the 4th round has to be my greatest draft
day memory. I wanted him in the first, too bad he got that injury and hasn't been close to the player i thought
he would be yet.

But i still have very high hopes for Billings!!! Rock On
Reply/Quote