Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest difference we’ll see this year and why I’m so pumped.
(05-05-2019, 08:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Seeing this video as a recap of some highlights in a lowlight season brought me to these conclusions:

Joe Mixon could be a star.

Gio Bernard is a beast when he is hit in stride and used as a receiver.

I love watching Piggy throw INTs and get sacked.

Andy Dalton has a very quick release and great accuracy, which is going to suit this offense beautifully.

AJ Green is unstoppable when he is seemingly pissed off.  I want to piss him off before every game. 

Alicia Keys has an amazing butt. 

When you watch that video, you get the impression that John Ross is pretty good.

I noticed we have some bad dancers on this team. I also realize that some of those highlights are 4-6 years old, but it reminds me how laughable it is when some of us were claiming AJ Green isn't a top 5 WR.... Save your stats nerds... The eyeball test tells me that very few can do what he does.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 06:59 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: A new coach could bring positive change, he could also be as crappy as the Reds rookie manager. Some people are predicting 9-10 wins, I wish that I  was that optimistic. I looked at the depth chart a couple of days ago. I counte 5 decent starters on D and 2 decent reserves. I counted the same on the Offense. That’s not very good!! I’m curious if others have looked at the depth chart at all. If so, what am I missing? Maybe that depth chart would make a good discussion. There may be better players there than I’m seeing but that was my impression.

Just curious where this depth chart is that you are looking at? The team will not issue a depth chart until at least August so not sure how you are looking at a depth chart. The best you can be looking at is a roster that really is not even set yet. However, going off of current roster:

Defensive Quality Starters - Geno Atkins
                                        Carlos Dunlap
                                        Sam Hubbard (assuming he is the starter based on a really good rookie season)
                                        Darqueze Dennard (he is the starting slot CB)
                                        William Jackson
                                        Jessie Bates (wow what a steal they got on this kid)

Defensive Decent players - Dre Kirkpatrick
                                       Preston Brown (could easily be on quality list if he returns to form from injury)
                                       Nick Vigil
                                       Shawn Williams
                                       Jordan Willis (could be on quality list if he becomes a more consistent pass rusher)
                                       Carl Lawson (could be on quality list if he returns to pre injury form)

Offense Quality Starters - AJ Green
                                     Tyler Boyd
                                     Joe Mixon
                                     Giovani Bernard
                                     Clint Boling

Decent Players -              Cordy Glenn (could move to quality if return to pre injury form)
                                     Billy Price (flashed outstanding moments needs to become more consistent)
                                     Tyler Eifert (easily quality if healthy)
                                     Tre Hopkins (was quality at the center position when in last season)
                                     Andy Dalton (fringe quality especially if he has protection)
                                     Alex Erickson (simply catches everything thrown at him when on the field)

You could easily off of projection add Germaine Pratt, Jonah Williams, and Drew Sample to these lists.

Yeah not sure what you are looking at.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 11:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Once we “knew” Zac Taylor was coming our way I watched more Rams games, especially in the playoffs.  What I noticed right away was how fast the team played on both offense and defense.  If Cincinnati can play even a little faster I think we’ll see more wins.  This is more crucial on defense than on offense because if the defense is fast enough, they “become” the offense because the opposing offense has to react to them instead of the other way around.

Sadly, none of Marvin Lewis’ defenses ever got to that point — although Mike Zimmer was the closest.

What has baffled me is why we have not played more at the line of scrimmage play calling rather than huddling up. Not sure if it is just me but I have always thought Andy and our offense was better in a no huddle and adjusting at the line of scrimmage.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 08:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think our biggest risk is the inexperience of the coaching staff. I keep hearing people say that Taylor will bring the Rams offense and we're drafting to be the Rams. The thing is, he was assistant WR coach there in 1 year. Then QB coach in Year 2. He didn't build the Rams offense or call plays.

Callahan didn't call the plays with the Raiders. That's a HUGE Step up.

Plus, I hear people talk about Taylors drafting. Say he started here in Feb. In 3 months he would have had to:

-Assess the roster.
-Do scouting for draft.
-Do scouting for free agency.
-Evaluate coaches.
-Hire coaches.
-Determine which free agents to sign.
-Develop and offensive and defensive scheme.
-Design a playbook as he'll be the OC.
-Handle the draft.

That's a HUGE ask for an inexperience staff in 3 months to complete...and I doubt that Taylor is doing all of those things.

In a nutshell, then what you're saying is that the only people who can succeed at being a head coach are: (A) people who have been a HC somewhere else; or (B) an offensive or defensive coordinator.

Furthermore, you are saying (by inference) that a prior HC had to be a winning HC and that prior OCs/DCs had to have built outstanding units.

Therefore, I give you (A) Bellicheat ... who was a loser while HC of the Clowns and (B) Merv ... who built a great defense for the Ratbirds and couldn't win a playoff game here.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 08:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think our biggest risk is the inexperience of the coaching staff. I keep hearing people say that Taylor will bring the Rams offense and we're drafting to be the Rams. The thing is, he was assistant WR coach there in 1 year. Then QB coach in Year 2. He didn't build the Rams offense or call plays.

Callahan didn't call the plays with the Raiders. That's a HUGE Step up.

Plus, I hear people talk about Taylors drafting. Say he started here in Feb. In 3 months he would have had to:

-Assess the roster.
-Do scouting for draft.
-Do scouting for free agency.
-Evaluate coaches.
-Hire coaches.
-Determine which free agents to sign.
-Develop and offensive and defensive scheme.
-Design a playbook as he'll be the OC.
-Handle the draft.

That's a HUGE ask for an inexperience staff in 3 months to complete...and I doubt that Taylor is doing all of those things.

Yet while the tasks to us may seem HUGE it would appear that this staff is handling them very well.

To those who say we are drafting to be the Rams I would have to disagree and say are drafting to be the Bengals under Taylor and that is influenced by his time with the Rams and influence from other coaches he has worked with.

As far as the step up for Callahan calling the plays...it would seem one of us is misinformed. What I have heard is that Taylor will be calling the plays on game day. Could be wrong but that is the info I have seen.

You are correct that Taylor is probably not taking care of the entire list himself and a good leader wouldn't. They surround themselves with those they trust and delegate responsibility accordingly. I would assume this is what he is doing.

All the interviews and information I have seen on this staff would lead me to the conclusion that it is not too big for any of them and that they welcome the task at hand. While many of these guys are young in coaching years they have been around the game in some capacity for a very long time. Myself I am confident in them.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 12:10 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Yet while the tasks to us may seem HUGE it would appear that this staff is handling them very well.

To those who say we are drafting to be the Rams I would have to disagree and say are drafting to be the Bengals under Taylor and that is influenced by his time with the Rams and influence from other coaches he has worked with.

As far as the step up for Callahan calling the plays...it would seem one of us is misinformed. What I have heard is that Taylor will be calling the plays on game day. Could be wrong but that is the info I have seen.

You are correct that Taylor is probably not taking care of the entire list himself and a good leader wouldn't. They surround themselves with those they trust and delegate responsibility accordingly. I would assume this is what he is doing.

All the interviews and information I have seen on this staff would lead me to the conclusion that it is not too big for any of them and that they welcome the task at hand. While many of these guys are young in coaching years they have been around the game in some capacity for a very long time. Myself I am confident in them.

Pretty sure Taylor will do the play calling.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 12:33 PM)jason Wrote: Pretty sure Taylor will do the play calling.

That is what I have heard as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 12:33 PM)jason Wrote: Pretty sure Taylor will do the play calling.

It’s been reported that is the plan. Yet, even though he lacks a lot of experience in play calling, he knows football. He loves strategizing everything football related. I think these qualities will make him a good play caller. Plus, he studies strengths and weaknesses which is paramount in play calling.

Add them traits along with players who want to play for him, I think he will have a good first year.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm extremely excited about the 2019 football season. Not only did the Bengals completely revamp their coaching staff but so did WVU who brings a more pro style system which will help with recruiting. WVU brought in Neal Brown as HC, Vic Koenig DC and CO- Offensive Coordinators Matt Moore and Chad Scott.

Lots of new different schemes for me on 2019.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think part of the reason we have a larger staff this year is that ZT wanted the extra hands handle the load. And yes you can see a distinct difference in the draft and in what we are hearing with ZT in charge. And yes I do think he was behind the draft strategy this year with our actually trading up a couple of times and the heavy emphasis on fixing the blocking - which aligned with his pre draft statements after working with the offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 09:58 AM)OSUfan Wrote: What has baffled me is why we have not played more at the line of scrimmage play calling rather than huddling up. Not sure if it is just me but I have always thought Andy and our offense was better in a no huddle and adjusting at the line of scrimmage.

Well, that's an easy answer. Our offensive line. You have to have a good line that gels together with everyone on the same page to successfully run a no huddle. We had a guard who could not false start even when getting the count in the huddle, 2 less than stellar tackles (Glenn was playing hurt most of the season, and, depending on the game, a back up center or a rookie center. Andy is built for the no huddle, and can quickly step to the line and dissect the defense.... then line, however, not so much.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 08:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, that's an easy answer. Our offensive line. You have to have a good line that gels together with everyone on the same page to successfully run a no huddle. We had a guard who could not false start even when getting the count in the huddle, 2 less than stellar tackles (Glenn was playing hurt most of the season, and, depending on the game, a back up center or a rookie center. Andy is built for the no huddle, and can quickly step to the line and dissect the defense.... then line, however, not so much.

It'll also help to be in the same system for a couple years. The Dalton/Green era started off with a strong foundation (established system with Gruden for 3 straight years) and ran smooth (with a solid OLine) when they went no huddle. Now they've changed offenses every year the last 4 years.

I think this is why ZT is calling plays and the Bengals wanted an OC minded HC. Teams lose OC's too quickly to promotions and changing offenses annually has never been good for developing an offensive identity which helps running the no huddle with so many players on the same page and familiar with the system.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 09:59 AM)jj22 Wrote: I think this is why ZT is calling plays and the Bengals wanted an OC minded HC. Teams lose OC's too quickly to promotions and changing offenses annually has never been good for developing an offensive identity which helps running the no huddle with so many players on the same page and familiar with the system.

Great point I never thought about.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 09:52 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Just curious where this depth chart is that you are looking at? The team will not issue a depth chart until at least August so not sure how you are looking at a depth chart. The best you can be looking at is a roster that really is not even set yet. However, going off of current roster:

Carlos Dunlap
                                        William Jackson

Preston Brown (could easily be on quality list if he returns to form from injury)
                                       Nick Vigil
                                       Shawn Williams
                                       Jordan Willis (could be on quality list if he becomes a more consistent pass rusher)

Tyler Boyd
                                     Joe Mixon
                                     Giovani Bernard
                                     Clint Boling

Decent Players -              Cordy Glenn (could move to quality if return to pre injury form)

You could easily off of projection add Germaine Pratt, Jonah Williams, and Drew Sample to these lists.

Well, let’s see.. I went to google and typed in Bengals Depth Chart and found a projected depth chart.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 09:58 AM)OSUfan Wrote: What has baffled me is why we have not played more at the line of scrimmage play calling rather than huddling up. Not sure if it is just me but I have always thought Andy and our offense was better in a no huddle and adjusting at the line of scrimmage.

In Andy Dalton’s first few seasons that’s exactly how it happened especially in 2015 when Hue Jackson was offensive coordinator. If memory serves, Hue did the offensive play calling but Andy had the autonomy to change the play at the line if he saw a better opportunity. I think Jay Gruden ran the offense much the same way.

The no huddle offense needs to be used more, not less.

My hope is Zac Taylor will give Andy the same autonomy he once had to change called plays if necessary. Andy is terrific at reading defenses and he can see more on the field than Zac can see from the sideline. When Andy was drafted I recall Jon Gruden saying he was perfect in this type of offense, citing Andy’s audible ability at TCU gave Cincinnati a “check with me” type quarterback.

There’s a distinct possibility Andy Dalton might be in the MVP conversation in 2019 like he was in 2015. If the new offensive line can keep him upright he’ll tear the Bengals’ opponents apart.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 09:59 AM)jj22 Wrote: It'll also help to be in the same system for a couple years. The Dalton/Green era started off with a strong foundation (established system with Gruden for 3 straight years) and ran smooth (with a solid OLine) when they went no huddle. Now they've changed offenses every year the last 4 years.

I think this is why ZT is calling plays and the Bengals wanted an OC minded HC. Teams lose OC's too quickly to promotions and changing offenses annually has never been good for developing an offensive identity which helps running the no huddle with so many players on the same page and familiar with the system.

Hey JJ22, great point as Harley said about Taylor calling the plays cause the OC's are getting taken every year from every good Offense. HC's that do well stay put for a long time usually.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 09:52 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Just curious where this depth chart is that you are looking at? The team will not issue a depth chart until at least August so not sure how you are looking at a depth chart. The best you can be looking at is a roster that really is not even set yet. However, going off of current roster:

Carlos Dunlap
                                        William Jackson

Nick Vigil
                                       Shawn Williams

Tyler Boyd
                                     Joe Mixon
                                     Giovani Bernard
                                     Clint Boling

I am pretty much right there with you... 

I would just move Eifert up. I am a HUGE Eifert fan.  Great receiving TEs struggle to stay healthy when they have great hands and catch in the middle of the field. That gruesome ankle injury was horrible and would have taken anyone out.

I am still a little weary with Erickson. Maybe it is just me, and I was a little sour at the end of last season.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 06:47 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In Andy Dalton’s first few seasons that’s exactly how it happened especially in 2015 when Hue Jackson was offensive coordinator.  If memory serves, Hue did the offensive play calling but Andy had the autonomy to change the play at the line if he saw a better opportunity.  I think Jay Gruden ran the offense much the same way.

The no huddle offense needs to be used more, not less.  

My hope is Zac Taylor will give Andy the same autonomy he once had to change called plays if necessary.  Andy is terrific at reading defenses and he can see more on the field than Zac can see from the sideline.  When Andy was drafted I recall Jon Gruden saying he was perfect in this type of offense, citing Andy’s audible ability at TCU gave Cincinnati a “check with me” type quarterback.

There’s a distinct possibility Andy Dalton might be in the MVP conversation in 2019 like he was in 2015. If the new offensive line can keep him upright he’ll tear the Bengals’ opponents apart.

He has been in the league long enough, and he is good enough to call the correct play... BUT will he really grasp the playbook by then? And will the rest of the offense be able to understand it?

What I am getting at... how long does it take teams to really grasp a completely different playbook? 1 full season? 8 games? We have our bye after week 8 iirc...
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 10:31 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: He has been in the league long enough, and he is good enough to call the correct play... BUT will he really grasp the playbook by then? And will the rest of the offense be able to understand it?

What I am getting at... how long does it take teams to really grasp a completely different playbook? 1 full season? 8 games? We have our bye after week 8 iirc...

I believe that is why Andy is our QB. He's pretty intelligent and should grasp the playbook quickly. We just need the other 10 guys to grasp in quickly and I also think they will. One of the big reasons Coach Taylor and staff have been saying "communication" all offseason. We'll see though, I'm expecting a great season! At least an exciting one!
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 09:59 AM)jj22 Wrote: It'll also help to be in the same system for a couple years. The Dalton/Green era started off with a strong foundation (established system with Gruden for 3 straight years) and ran smooth (with a solid OLine) when they went no huddle. Now they've changed offenses every year the last 4 years.

Good call JJ
Reply/Quote