Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Lazor
I think the success of the 2018-19 season comes down to one man: Bill Lazor. He had the balls to change the offensive line blocking scheme mid-season (that could not have been easy) and showed he was right in his need for a philosophical change.

A new offensive line coach, moderate success down the stretch (it was night and day compared to the early Zampese offense, which was putrid), and some personnel changes might create the offense that has been sorely lacking the past two seasons to pair with a solid defense.

Lazor didn't accept the status quo when he was handed the reigns on offense. He recently referred to Dalton on the NFL Network as an "ascending talent" and referenced many QBs that had their best seasons in their careers as they approached 30 years of age. If he believes that about Dalton, he will have to dramatically improve the protection, the running game, and the weapons at receiver to help him be successful.

It will be very interesting to see who the starting receivers are next season. I think Ross and Core and excel at X, Boyd and Erickson in the slot, and AJ Green (with Malone backing him up) at the other side. Lafell should not be part of the plans. He simply doesn't take advantage of the matchups provided by Green.

I also hope we see more of Gio and Mixon on the field together and using them both as outlets for Dalton.

If Lazor can make this offense a top 10 unit, I think the defense will respond and do their part. The defense has a few glaring needs at DT and LB, but has the pieces elsewhere to be a solid unit and I like the Austin hiring.

This is the best I can do to try and be optimistic about the upcoming season. Address the offensive line, be aggressive, and start fast.

Mr. Lazor, I put this on your lap. Make me a believer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think the success of the 2018-19 season comes down to one man:  Bill Lazor.  He had the balls to change the offensive line blocking scheme mid-season (that could not have been easy) and showed he was right in his need for a philosophical change.

A new offensive line coach, moderate success down the stretch (it was night and day compared to the early Zampese offense, which was putrid), and some personnel changes might create the offense that has been sorely lacking the past two seasons to pair with a solid defense.

Lazor didn't accept the status quo when he was handed the reigns on offense.  He recently referred to Dalton on the NFL Network as an "ascending talent" and referenced many QBs that had their best seasons in their careers as they approached 30 years of age.  If he believes that about Dalton, he will have to dramatically improve the protection, the running game, and the weapons at receiver to help him be successful.  

It will be very interesting to see who the starting receivers are next season.  I think Ross and Core and excel at X, Boyd and Erickson in the slot, and AJ Green (with Malone backing him up) at the other side.  Lafell should not be part of the plans.  He simply doesn't take advantage of the matchups provided by Green.

I also hope we see more of Gio and Mixon on the field together and using them both as outlets for Dalton.

If Lazor can make this offense a top 10 unit, I think the defense will respond and do their part.  The defense has a few glaring needs at DT and LB, but has the pieces elsewhere to be a solid unit and I like the Austin hiring.

This is the best I can do to try and be optimistic about the upcoming season.  Address the offensive line, be aggressive, and start fast.  

Mr. Lazor, I put this on your lap.   Make me a believer.

Agree with most stated here. 

Yet even though am not a big Lafell fan, not sure he should not be used at all unless they find a gem late in the draft. 

Also have mixed feelings about Gio and Mixon on field at same time per taking away a blocker and forcing one to basically be a fullback. Not sure I want either taking the extra pounding in that manner. But get the attraction to them both being out there. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Lazor already has my respect, for having the balls to force a change, rather than being some toady that just went along.

Now that he has all of our attention, let's hope that his plan for the future is just as bold.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Lazor already has my respect, for having the balls to force a change, rather than being some toady that just went along.

Lazor did not make any major personnel changes until he was forced to due to injuries.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:25 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree with most stated here. 

Yet even though am not a big Lafell fan, not sure he should not be used at all unless they find a gem late in the draft. 

Also have mixed feelings about Gio and Mixon on field at same time per taking away a blocker and forcing one to basically be a fullback. Not sure I want either taking the extra pounding in that manner. But get the attraction to them both being out there. 

I see Core and Malone as our potential late round gems.  Core ran faster than Green with the GPS suit (something crazy like 23mph) and he has the big, strong body to make contested catches.  I love his ability. and although he was very raw coming out of college, he seems to take well to coaching.  I would give him and Malone a lot of chances in the upcoming OTAs, and pre-season games.  We know what we have in Lafell and it isn't much.

If Gio and Mixon are on the field together, it doesn't necessarily imply that one be the fullback.  I like the idea of one of them going in motion to draw a LB or safety out of the center of the field for the RPO between handing the ball to the other back or a quick shot to the WR/TE.  

Gio has been a wasted commodity on this team and I would like to see him more involved.  Calling Mixon a bell-cow scares me a bit because I fear for his health and strength down the stretch.  He has earned it, but I still would like to see Gio get 10 touches a game as well as Mixon get 15-20.  Mixon only had 30 receptions last year.  I would like to see a lot more passes to our RBs after sending the likes of Ross, Green, Malone, or Core vertical to open up the underneath...should help Kroft and Uzomah as well. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lazor did not make any major personnel changes until he was forced to due to injuries.

Does Jeremy Hill and Joe Mixon know this? 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I see Core and Malone as our potential late round gems.  Core ran faster than Green with the GPS suit (something crazy like 23mph) and he has the big, strong body to make contested catches.  I love his ability. and although he was very raw coming out of college, he seems to take well to coaching.  I would give him and Malone a lot of chances in the upcoming OTAs, and pre-season games.  We know what we have in Lafell and it isn't much.

If Gio and Mixon are on the field together, it doesn't necessarily imply that one be the fullback.  I like the idea of one of them going in motion to draw a LB or safety out of the center of the field for the RPO between handing the ball to the other back or a quick shot to the WR/TE.  

Gio has been a wasted commodity on this team and I would like to see him more involved.  Calling Mixon a bell-cow scares me a bit because I fear for his health and strength down the stretch.  He has earned it, but I still would like to see Gio get 10 touches a game as well as Mixon get 15-20.  Mixon only had 30 receptions last year.  I would like to see a lot more passes to our RBs after sending the likes of Ross, Green, Malone, or Core vertical to open up the underneath...should help Kroft and Uzomah as well. 

We all have thought and hoped this but Core has not grabbed the coaches attention for some reason. Have more hope for Malone stepping in then Core at this point in time. 

Gio will get this at least I believe

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think the success of the 2018-19 season comes down to one man:  Bill Lazor.  He had the balls to change the offensive line blocking scheme mid-season (that could not have been easy) and showed he was right in his need for a philosophical change.

Lazor didn't accept the status quo when he was handed the reigns on offense.  He recently referred to Dalton on the NFL Network as an "ascending talent" and referenced many QBs that had their best seasons in their careers as they approached 30 years of age.  If he believes that about Dalton, he will have to dramatically improve the protection, the running game, and the weapons at receiver to help him be successful.  

It will be very interesting to see who the starting receivers are next season.  I think Ross and Core and excel at X, Boyd and Erickson in the slot, and AJ Green (with Malone backing him up) at the other side.  Lafell should not be part of the plans.  He simply doesn't take advantage of the matchups provided by Green.

If Lazor can make this offense a top 10 unit, I think the defense will respond and do their part.  The defense has a few glaring needs at DT and LB, but has the pieces elsewhere to be a solid unit and I like the Austin hiring.

This is the best I can do to try and be optimistic about the upcoming season.  Address the offensive line, be aggressive, and start fast.  

Mr. Lazor, I put this on your lap.   Make me a believer.

I agree here and I see what your trying to do. It's admirable and like you, I keep trying to find the colorful weed buried under that pile of shit we call the organization. I think Lazor could be a godsend and what he did last season was not only ballsy but also aggressive. He shows a passion that he wants to win. Something we have not felt from this coaching staff in sometime.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 02:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree here and I see what your trying to do. It's admirable and like you, I keep trying to find the colorful weed buried under that pile of shit we call the organization. I think Lazor could be a godsend and what he did last season was not only ballsy but also aggressive. He shows a passion that he wants to win. Something we have not felt from this coaching staff in sometime.

Could have used some colorful weed during last two seasons.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lazor did not make any major personnel changes until he was forced to due to injuries.

I believe Sunset is talking about the scheme switch, and possibly the canning of Paul Alexander.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Gio has been a wasted commodity on this team and I would like to see him more involved.  Calling Mixon a bell-cow scares me a bit because I fear for his health and strength down the stretch.  He has earned it, but I still would like to see Gio get 10 touches a game as well as Mixon get 15-20.  Mixon only had 30 receptions last year.  I would like to see a lot more passes to our RBs after sending the likes of Ross, Green, Malone, or Core vertical to open up the underneath...should help Kroft and Uzomah as well. 

Since we are trying to feel good in this thread and stay positive, I will give you this. Gio has some mad skills and when Mixon was out he was running like a beast. If Mixon is the bell cow and wears, Gio should have no problem picking up the slack. Gio is a great passing back with good YAC. Unfortunately, he fell into place when we were reinventing our play scheme to include a lot of that stuff and that's just were Marvin sees his role. A lot of talent wasted but who's to say Lazor doesnt bring out his talents and explode them on the field. You never know? Both backs are good and I think we've just begun to see the greatness in both Gio & Mixon.

Reply/Quote
I agree that we have the potential to become relevant again, and maybe even make a playoff run this season. But, that hinges on making a few changes on the OL, and some upgraded LB play.

But as far as weapons, and new coaches, we're getting there. I'm hoping at least.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I want lafell gone. But as much as I wanted to see core get in there his rookie season because we needed someone else besides lafell, I don't have any faith in him . I have some faith in Ross and Malone and Boyd . But I'd draft or sign a new guy to compete for #2. We got green,labum and a bunch of just potential guys. I'd even try to get rid of Alex erickson. I don't like him as a returner and he's buried on the depth chart for receivers.
Reply/Quote
Quote:I want lafell gone. But as much as I wanted to see core get in there his rookie season because we needed someone else besides lafell, I don't have any faith in him . 
LaFell is a love/hate relationship. He does some good things but is not a go-getter.

Quote:I have some faith in Ross and Malone and Boyd . But I'd draft or sign a new guy to compete for #2. We got green,labum and a bunch of just potential guys. I'd even try to get rid of Alex erickson. I don't like him as a returner and he's buried on the depth chart for r
Erickson sucks as a returner. He just plain sucks at everything. It's as if he hasn't calmed down yet?

Not sure if LaFell needs to go yet but I'm not against it. He's a mediocre receiver but comes up with some good catches now & then. We are wasting good talent on the bench! 

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think the success of the 2018-19 season comes down to one man: Bill Lazor. He had the balls to change the offensive line blocking scheme mid-season (that could not have been easy) and showed he was right in his need for a philosophical change.

Lazor didn't accept the status quo when he was handed the reigns on offense. He recently referred to Dalton on the NFL Network as an "ascending talent" and referenced many QBs that had their best seasons in their careers as they approached 30 years of age. If he believes that about Dalton, he will have to dramatically improve the protection, the running game, and the weapons at receiver to help him be successful.

It will be very interesting to see who the starting receivers are next season. I think Ross and Core and excel at X, Boyd and Erickson in the slot, and AJ Green (with Malone backing him up) at the other side. Lafell should not be part of the plans. He simply doesn't take advantage of the matchups provided by Green.

If Lazor can make this offense a top 10 unit, I think the defense will respond and do their part. The defense has a few glaring needs at DT and LB, but has the pieces elsewhere to be a solid unit and I like the Austin hiring.

This is the best I can do to try and be optimistic about the upcoming season. Address the offensive line, be aggressive, and start fast.

Mr. Lazor, I put this on your lap. Make me a believer.

Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 02:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree here and I see what your trying to do. It's admirable and like you, I keep trying to find the colorful weed buried under that pile of shit we call the organization. I think Lazor could be a godsend and what he did last season was not only ballsy but also aggressive. He shows a passion that he wants to win. Something we have not felt from this coaching staff in sometime.

But according to some, we never lose because we aren't aggressive.   LMAO Hilarious LMAO Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 02:55 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Since we are trying to feel good in this thread and stay positive, I will give you this. Gio has some mad skills and when Mixon was out he was running like a beast. If Mixon is the bell cow and wears, Gio should have no problem picking up the slack. Gio is a great passing back with good YAC. Unfortunately, he fell into place when we were reinventing our play scheme to include a lot of that stuff and that's just were Marvin sees his role. A lot of talent wasted but who's to say Lazor doesnt bring out his talents and explode them on the field. You never know? Both backs are good and I think we've just begun to see the greatness in both Gio & Mixon.

This is interesting and a good point.  Teams often makes excuses for a QB that is  (in Dalton's case, his fourth OC) experiencing a lot of change at the OC position but it rarely gets used on a RB. 

Gio is the classic "tweener" that many see as too small to carry the load, but how many times have we complained about the blocking scheme when it came to our RBs?  

Lazor, plus the new offensive line coach, could breath new life in to a rushing attack that seemed to gain new life the last few games of 2017-18.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 05:05 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I want lafell gone. But as much as I wanted to see core get in there his rookie season because we needed someone else besides lafell, I don't have any faith in him . I have some faith in Ross and Malone and Boyd . But I'd draft or sign a new guy to compete for #2. We got green,labum and a bunch of just potential guys. I'd even try to get rid of Alex erickson. I don't like him as a returner and he's buried on the depth chart for receivers.

I agree that Lafell shouldn't be the #2, but I like Erickson rotating in the slot with Boyd. I think we already have that better option in Ross and Core.  They just need to stay healthy and get their shot.  
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 07:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree that Lafell shouldn't be the #2, but I like Erickson rotating in the slot with Boyd. I think we already have that better option in Ross and Core.  They just need to stay healthy and get their shot.  

I keep seeing Erickson pop up in conversations, why? What has he done that even remotely deserves any praise? His return skills started to look like he was coming around and then he regressed. His receiving skills are nothing special either.

Reply/Quote
LaFell is a solid receiver. As soon as Core, Malone or any of the others up their game and can take his job, they will. Until they become as reliable as he is, they won't. Can't get rid of him until one of them is ready to replace him.
Reply/Quote