Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Lazor named new OC
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/09/15/cincinnati-bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-offensive-changes-private-to-team/670204001/

"In the 50-year history of the franchise, Zampese is the first coordinator to be dismissed in season."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 05:23 PM)corpjet Wrote: This is big, I dont think Marvin has fired any coach mid season.  Maybe the organization is realizing they need to change.

Did anyone else see last night during one of the Time Outs Dalton refused to go over and talk with Zampese as most Qbs do during Time outs?  I think this clearly showed he was done with KZ and his play calling and why we saw Dalton throw the ball away so many times in just two short games.

I think our leaders spoke (AJG and Dalton) and stressed that a change needed to be made and made immediately!

.....heard on Moe Egger's show, that this was the first time in the franchise's history they have fired a coordinator mid season.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 05:18 PM)Rattler Wrote: So does Zampese get to keep his playbook?

[Image: 51VNIQaI8jL.jpg]

Now that is some funny shit!   Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 05:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Here are the Dolphons offensive stats that year according to Pro Football Reference.com:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/2014.htm

Passing:
394 comp 595 att 66.2% comp% 3,729 yards 27 TD 12 INT

Rushing:
399 car 1,872 yards 4.7 YPC 12 TD

I don't know, but that actually looks pretty good. Of course, that was with an offense he installed, so we need to temper expectations, but if he can come close to duplicating that with a team that has arguably better players in most spots, we might actually do well.

Which might save Lewis' job. Dammit!

What is this TD stat?  As far as Marvin goes, he has to be gone the end of the season. There is no way he can get another extension. I dont see Brown firing him before the season ends no matter how bad we look. But he has to be done. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 05:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....heard on Moe Egger's show, that this was the first time in the franchise's history they have fired a coordinator mid season.

Really? I thought Brat was fired mid season.
Reply/Quote
Zamp shoulda followed Piano Paul's lead and stayed a position coach. Woulda had it made for another 20 years hear.
Reply/Quote
Legitimately thought this was a troll thread when I first saw it.

Thank god they're at least attempting to fix things...
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 06:01 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Really? I thought Brat was fired mid season.

I think he quit.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
All right!!! We got a bandaid on the gunshot wound.

I wonder if this guy knows john ross is a wr?
Reply/Quote
I think when a coach is fired like this the wolves are nipping at the head coach, also why not fire the O.C. first, thats where the trouble is.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 04:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would almost bet my lefty that he will not be worse......bout damn guarantee it.

If you bet a nut on this organization, you will be a snatch by Thanksgiving and have nothing to be thankful for. Reserve yourself soldier!

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 06:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If you bet a nut on this organization, you will be a snatch by Thanksgiving and have nothing to be thankful for. Reserve yourself soldier!

LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 06:20 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Legitimately thought this was a troll thread when I first saw it.

Thank god they're at least attempting to fix things...

LOL.... It's a TRAP!

Reply/Quote
I hope Bill Lazor shreds Ken Zampese's playbook and dusts off Hue Jackson's playbook -- or even Jay Gruden's playbook. Actually, Mike Brown still has his father's playbook -- and Bill Walsh's playbook -- from his coaching days. Maybe Bill could try using those.
Reply/Quote
I heard Lazor isn't very good.
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 06:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think he quit.

Brat was let go during the off season as a bone to try and the "retired" Palmer to come back into the fold.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 05:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Here are the Dolphons offensive stats that year according to Pro Football Reference.com:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/2014.htm

Passing:
394 comp 595 att 66.2% comp% 3,729 yards 27 TD 12 INT

Rushing:
399 car 1,872 yards 4.7 YPC 12 TD

I don't know, but that actually looks pretty good. Of course, that was with an offense he installed, so we need to temper expectations, but if he can come close to duplicating that with a team that has arguably better players in most spots, we might actually do well.

Which might save Lewis' job. Dammit!

I would assume that is net pass yardage (taking away yards lost to sacks)? Otherwise, that's some serious dinking and dunking. QBs rarely average less than 10 yards per completion.

The pass numbers overall are solid, but I'm most impressed by that 4.7 YPC. I can't really look it up right now, but going off of memory, I believe we haven't averaged 4.7 YPC as a team since the 1980's at least. Of course, we still have Paul A coaching o line, so I doubt we suddenly get better there.

(09-15-2017, 06:01 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Really? I thought Brat was fired mid season.

(09-15-2017, 06:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think he quit.

Guys...old age is ruining your memory. Brat was fired in late January 2011. Not only did they wait til after the season, the cheap bastards made him coach the Senior Bowl. THEN they fired him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 06:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I hope Bill Lazor shreds Ken Zampese's playbook and dusts off Hue Jackson's playbook -- or even Jay Gruden's playbook.  Actually, Mike Brown still has his father's playbook -- and Bill Walsh's playbook -- from his coaching days.  Maybe Bill could try using those.

Honestly, I don't care what playbook he uses.  As long as he can call plays that the offense can execute, in a way that is less than predictable, I'll be a happier fan.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 06:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I don't care what playbook he uses.  As long as he can call plays that the offense can execute, in a way that is less than predictable, I'll be a happier fan.

...and Bill has actually been an offensive coordinator! It was with the Fish but it's better than nothing.
Reply/Quote
All BS aside, I'm pretty stoked about this, although we still have an 0-2 hole to dig out of.

I was telling my Wife during the game that we needed to do what the Lions did a couple years back when they hired Jim Bob Cooter mid season. It was the same scenario completely. Offense stalling, Stafford getting creamed by a crap o line, fans calling for Stafford's head (seriously). They hired Cooter and voila...it was like night and day.

I honestly had my doubts about whether a coordinator could really change an offense that looked in such disarray, but it worked like a charm. The Lions have been good ever since. Of course I'm not saying Lazor is a guarantee, but it's worth a shot.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote