Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billings
Is he getting any playing time? I have not seen him or heard his name called all season. I thought he would really help the run defense and push the pocket back. The dude is a tank.
Reply/Quote
Maybe it's because he is a rookie, or maybe it's because of his knee, but he is not the huge upgrade over Peko that everyone touted him to be. Hopefully, he will be, but he has not shown much yet.
Reply/Quote
Ehh..still recovering from the knee... or maybe he really isn't as good as we were lead to believe. Of course the Bengals organization would NEVER exaggerate a players ability..especially Hobson.. lol 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Remember when Geno wasn't Geno the year after his ACL? It's kind of like that. The other thing is Glasgow has played well and MJ has been taking additional reps at DT too.
Reply/Quote
Been a disappointment so far. Was in for one snap for sure vs Browns. So far looks like Gaslow is getting more snaps.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
This is more or less Billings rookie year.
He has to regain confidence in his knee, this will take most of the season to do.
He is learning the speed of the NFL.
He is not in NFL football shape due to being out last year.

All we can do is hope he becomes the player everyone hopes he becomes. We won't really know how good he is until next year in my opinion. We will see flashes of dominance later this year I believe but he won't be dominant until next year. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:40 PM)grampahol Wrote: Ehh..still recovering from the knee... or maybe he really isn't as good as we were lead to believe. Of course the Bengals organization would NEVER exaggerate a players ability..especially Hobson.. lol 

(10-09-2017, 12:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: Remember when Geno wasn't Geno the year after his ACL? It's kind of like that. The other thing is Glasgow has played well and MJ has been taking additional reps at DT too.

(10-09-2017, 12:55 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: This is more or less Billings rookie year.
He has to regain confidence in his knee, this will take most of the season to do.
He is learning the speed of the NFL.
He is not in NFL football shape due to being out last year.

All we can do is hope he becomes the player everyone hopes he becomes. We won't really know how good he is until next year in my opinion. We will see flashes of dominance later this year I believe but he won't be dominant until next year. 

He had a torn meniscus. It's a minor knee injury at worst. I know high school girl soccer players who have bounced back 100% within less time.

Doesn't matter. The D is outstanding. I loved the Glasgow pick during the draft. High motor workhorse who makes things happen. Mike Johnson's been excellent at DT. The Bengals are fine there!
Reply/Quote
Maintaining gap discipline is critically important for the NT of a defense. If Billings isn't doing that, he won't see as many reps even if he's more physically gifted than Glasgow.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:40 PM)grampahol Wrote: Ehh..still recovering from the knee... or maybe he really isn't as good as we were lead to believe. Of course the Bengals organization would NEVER exaggerate a players ability..especially Hobson.. lol 

No we on the boards here do a pretty good job exaggerating what these players can do... Way more so than the bengals organiztion
Reply/Quote
Echoing some sentiment here, but #90 has been looking pretty damn good at DT.  Whoever came up with the idea to move him inside deserves some credit.  May have extended his career a year or two.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 01:03 PM)PDub80 Wrote: He had a torn meniscus. It's a minor knee injury at worst. I know high school girl soccer players who have bounced back 100% within less time.

Doesn't matter. The D is outstanding. I loved the Glasgow pick during the draft. High motor workhorse who makes things happen. Mike Johnson's been excellent at DT. The Bengals are fine there!

those high school soccer girls weren't carrying 300 lbs on their knees and pushing other 300lb players around using their legs as the driving force.

Another Reason for Reduced billings is probly do to moving MJ inside.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 01:03 PM)PDub80 Wrote: He had a torn meniscus. It's a minor knee injury at worst. I know high school girl soccer players who have bounced back 100% within less time.

Well in all fairness to Billings, high school girls aren't 300 lbs (hopefully) and putting the amount of torque and pressure on the knee like a NFL DT will. 

I do agree that Glasgow has been an absolute steal. What a draft it looks like we had, as there is 2 solid DL in Willis and Glasgow and a budding star in Lawson, all drafted after Round 3. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 12:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Maybe it's because he is a rookie, or maybe it's because of his knee, but he is not the huge upgrade over Peko that everyone touted him to be. Hopefully, he will be, but he has not shown much yet.

Stop it. He's not a rookie.

Is he eligible to win rookie of the year? No. So he's not a rookie.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 01:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Stop it. He's not a rookie.

Is he eligible to win rookie of the year? No. So he's not a rookie.

Not a rookie but he is a first year player. And that's largely because the NFL counts IR time as "under contract" where as other sporting leagues look at service time...as in actually on roster and seeing playing time. 

He's 3 years younger than Ryan Glasgow.
People need to chill.
Reply/Quote
Im giving him a pass thus far, hopefully he will figure it out soon....with that being said Glasnow, Willis and Lawson have exceeded everyones expectations........the rotation def helps keeping everyone fresh.....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I knew Michael Johnson was good against the run but moving him in side looks to be a genius move at this time.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 02:26 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Not a rookie but he is a first year player. And that's largely because the NFL counts IR time as "under contract" where as other sporting leagues look at service time...as in actually on roster and seeing playing time. 

He's 3 years younger than Ryan Glasgow.
People need to chill.

Actually, it isn't any different in other sports as far as I know. If a player in MLB makes the 25 man roster, gets injured, and spends the whole season on the 60-day DL, that still counts as a year of service time, even if they only played a game or two.

Example being Homer Bailey only pitched 34 total innings in '15 and '16 combined, but he got two full years of service time.

Really, my main point was it is a big point of frustration of mine how people keep handing out 2nd, 3rd, and 4th "rookie" seasons as they see fit to explain away underperforming. Billings might not be 100% due to recovering from the injury, but I refuse to accept anyone saying it is his rookie year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 02:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Actually, it isn't any different in other sports as far as I know. If a player in MLB makes the 25 man roster, gets injured, and spends the whole season on the 60-day DL, that still counts as a year of service time, even if they only played a game or two.

Example being Homer Bailey only pitched 34 total innings in '15 and '16 combined, but he got two full years of service time.

Really, my main point was it is a big point of frustration of mine how people keep handing out 2nd, 3rd, and 4th "rookie" seasons as they see fit to explain away underperforming. Billings might not be 100% due to recovering from the injury, but I refuse to accept anyone saying it is his rookie year.

The Homer example would work better if he were still on rookie status.
A player in MLB will accrue a year of service if he's in MLB for 170 days. MLB seasons last around 180. So basically the rookie would have to be on the roster from the start and be on the roster all season to get a service year in.
In Billings' case, he was hurt before the season so he wouldn't have been "on the roster" if this were an MLB style thing. Homer has a major league deal without options. So they had no choice but to roster him by rule. 

It's his first year playing in the NFL. Getting nitpicky on the term rookie is your call. Whatever. It's irrelevant. It all means the same thing except in the eyes of ROY voters. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 01:03 PM)PDub80 Wrote:  I know high school girl soccer players who have bounced back 100% within less time.

High Schoolers huh.... why don't you just take a seat over there......

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 01:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: those high school soccer girls weren't carrying 300 lbs on their knees and pushing other 300lb players around using their legs as the driving force.

Another Reason for Reduced billings is probly do to moving MJ inside.

(10-09-2017, 01:43 PM)Brimey Wrote: Well in all fairness to Billings, high school girls aren't 300 lbs (hopefully) and putting the amount of torque and pressure on the knee like a NFL DT will. 

I do agree that Glasgow has been an absolute steal. What a draft it looks like we had, as there is 2 solid DL in Willis and Glasgow and a budding star in Lawson, all drafted after Round 3. 

(10-09-2017, 04:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: High Schoolers huh.... why don't you just take a seat over there......

High school girls don't have the medical staff and care that an NFL player does, either.

High school guys come back from meniscus quickly, too. College players, as well. Oh, and NFLers..... Gio tore his ACL way later in the season and has come back looking great. Atkins came back much faster from ACL surgery, too.

Meniscus is nothing in the world of knee surgeries, structural issues, etc.

But I think it's cute you want to make excuses for a grown man. "He must be hurt". Yeah.... those meniscus tears are real career killers  Hilarious Rolleyes You guys realize there have been interviews and articles where Billings has stated he's been back to 100% for quite a while, right? He was never in danger of missing anything in 2017 from rehab or lingering effects. 
Reply/Quote