Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billings Will Need Time.
I think this is the reason that Billings fell.

When asked "How does Baylor’s defensive style translate to the NFL?"

“It transfers well. I learned more about offense than I thought I’d learn from anyone. It’s all about how you see the players. We don’t have many plans, a huddle or even a playbook, so you have to really rely on your knowledge.”

It will take a while for this young guy to get in here and fully understand our playbook. He is only 20, so I don't think the coaches will have any qualms about letting him marinade on the bench for a year.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:34 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think this is the reason that Billings fell.

“It transfers well. I learned more about offense than I thought I’d learn from anyone. It’s all about how you see the players. We don’t have many plans, a huddle or even a playbook, so you have to really rely on your knowledge.”

It will take a while for this young guy to get in here and fully understand our playbook. He is only 20, so I don't think the coaches will have any qualms about letting him marinade on the bench for a year.

i think he will be stuffing runs before the season ends
Reply/Quote
I think his pass rushing ability will take time to develop. He can stuff the run well and I would think his instincts there will help him progress. I'm hoping that working with Geno will help him improve his pass rushing ability.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's in a good situation.  He will be around consummate pros like Peko, Atkins, and MJ.  I don't have any delusions about him starting this year, but I loved this pick in the 4th.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Most colleges roll without a playbook. It also matters how the offense/defense is taught.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:34 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think this is the reason that Billings fell.

Im thinking youre wrong, and we will see Billings plenty this year. For a player like Billings its pretty simple. You tell the young man, once the ball is snapped you push that center or guard back right into the quarterbacks lap.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:43 AM)jason Wrote: He's in a good situation.  He will be around consummate pros like Peko, Atkins, and MJ.  I don't have any delusions about him starting this year, but I loved this pick in the 4th.

Heck he might get some Starts.... lol Run stuffers usually play first downs.

Who are our projected DTs

Atkins
Sims
Billings
Peko? Hardison? Williams? Thompson?

Could this spell the end for Peko or sims(who just return and was resigned)
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 12:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Heck he might get some Starts.... lol  Run stuffers usually play first downs.

Who are our projected DTs

Atkins
Sims
Billings
Peko? Hardison? Williams? Thompson?

Could this spell the end for Peko or sims(who just return and was resigned)

I feel the DT situation is pretty clear cut barring anymore injuries. Peko isn't going anywhere this year. Geno, Peko, Sims, Billings make roster at DT. Hardison makes it as the swing DE/DT, and Thompson goes on pup after his injury last year. Williams back to PS if he isn't snatched up by someone else.
Reply/Quote
I think Billings will get plenty of snaps.   I think his pass rush may take some time to develop.   But he puts a lot of pressure on the pocket which will make things very difficult for interior O linemen and open a lot of opportunities for Geno to wreak havoc.

I'm hoping Hardison and D. Williams both will be dressing Sundays.   Hardison to replace Gilberry and Williams to replace Thompson, Sims, Hunt or Clark.   In other words I'll be happy if those two make one other lineman obsolete.
Reply/Quote
I think you guys are missing Deshaun Williams. I think they count Hardison as a swing DE/DT and go Geno, Billings, Peko, and Williams. Peko and Billings are both 1 techniques with Williams/Geno being 3 techniques. Hardison could play 3 or bounce outside to DE.
Reply/Quote
The odds have to be increasingly stacked against Peko having a fully injury free season. He has been so healthy so consistently, since becoming a starter only missing 5 regular season games in almost a decade. He may need time but I would not be at all surprised if Billings is forced into the lineup early.

The team had such a remarkably injury free year last year, I can't help but think we may lose a few more key players this season.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 01:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think you guys are missing Deshaun Williams. I think they count Hardison as a swing DE/DT and go Geno, Billings, Peko, and Williams. Peko and Billings are both 1 techniques with Williams/Geno being 3 techniques. Hardison could play 3 or bounce outside to DE.

Man that guy gets a lot of love around here. I doubt he makes it over sims, bengals value experience so I doubt they roll with a rookie and guy who spent one year on the PS as their backups. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:46 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote:  You tell the young man, once the ball is snapped you push that center or guard back right into the quarterbacks lap.

It is not nearly that simple, but I agree that compared to other positions DT is one of the easiest to learn.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 01:08 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Man that guy gets a lot of love around here. I doubt he makes it over sims, bengals value experience so I doubt they roll with a rookie and guy who spent one year on the PS as their backups. 

Sims is a 1 technique, Williams is a 3 technique they play different positions. They won't carry 3 1 techniques when they come out often times on passing downs with 3 DE or extra 3 technique. I could see Williams getting cut though when Thompson comes back off PUP because he can swing between the two.
Reply/Quote
Do not see him starting but could envision him playing a lot of snaps by seasons end.

He is strong as an ox, and much like speed, you can not teach strength either.

Perfect mentor in Geno for him as well. Very excited about the possibilities for this 4th round pick.

Wow 4th round, "pop wood" ever time I am reminded of it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 01:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: Sims is a 1 technique, Williams is a 3 technique they play different positions. They won't carry 3 1 techniques when they come out often times on passing downs with 3 DE or extra 3 technique. I could see Williams getting cut though when Thompson comes back off PUP because he can swing between the two.

This. Hardison would be the DE/3rd-down-rush DT role that Gilberry played. Atkins and Peko the starters. Billings the backup 1T. Williams/Thompson as the backup 3T.

The Bengals will carry nine DL with Dunlap, MJ, Hunt, and Clarke as the official DEs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 01:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: Sims is a 1 technique, Williams is a 3 technique they play different positions. They won't carry 3 1 techniques when they come out often times on passing downs with 3 DE or extra 3 technique. I could see Williams getting cut though when Thompson comes back off PUP because he can swing between the two.

Don't be so sure
Reply/Quote

He will NOT spend the year on the bench.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 01:48 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Don't be so sure

Don't so sure what? They are the position they are. Hardison could be the back up 3T and they only carry 4 DT, but I don't see them carrying 3 1T when they only play on 2 downs, and consider we run a lot more nickle than we do base formation anyways. I guess they could carry a 3rd 1T until Thompson comes back. Either way Williams is in play because of his position more than anything.
Reply/Quote
you dont say?
Reply/Quote