Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Price Benched Again
(11-28-2019, 07:57 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Dennard has actually played 72 games in just under six seasons here. That's more than I thought.

He's a weird one: he hasn't lived up to his draft position (just 22 career starts, 3 interceptions is a disappointment for a first round pick in their sixth season) but at the same time I think has been one of the reasons why the defense has improved in recent weeks and BW Webb would be a downgrade on him. I think he's actually one of the few upcoming FAs on the roster I'd be keen on retaining. He's not great but he's solid enough that you don't worry about him and there aren't many Bengals you can say that about. I say sign him up as that's one less hole to worry about filling in the off season.

He is Fool's Gold.

I'm not knocking you because I've been allured to it myself.

His play is up and down. 

He'll make some nice stops/tackles.

Then turn around and totally be out of place or whiff.

Not a ball hawk as advertised coming out of MSU.

I think with the DBs we have on staff he looks better because of their poor play.

As you stated by now he should be a lot better than he's been.

That's the only thing about letting him walk...  who are they gonna replace him with?

Is a warm nobody better than an often injured Dennard?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 10:00 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He is Fool's Gold.

His play is up and down. 

I think with the DBs we have on staff he looks better because of their poor play.

That's the only thing about letting him walk...  who are they gonna replace him with?

At this point, someone that makes less money than him is the next best option and more important, using money on Hopkins should be the goal of this team. Cook & Bodine and all those previous turnstiles seem a thing of the past.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 07:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: All I'm saying is in the past 2 drafts we watched the Lions take Ragnow and then we just took "the other center" and we watched the Steelers move up and take Bush and we took another lineman so here we are with a bust C and an IR-ed lineman.  Maybe everything is fine, maybe we just got screwed, who knows.

I'm not even using hindsight so much as I'm saying it seems like we get caught with our proverbial pants down in the 1st round a lot lately.

Fair points, but, I am more comfortable with the Jonah Williams pick than I was with the Billy Price pick (which I didn't think was a terrible choice either at the time). One thing we have to think about is; Bush is doing pretty well in the Steelers system. That doesn't mean he would do well in the system we run. Not saying it would be difficult for him to be our best LB, but, he may not have thrived as much as he is with the Steelers. I did hear that Bush's level of play has dropped a bit after his first several weeks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 10:00 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He is Fool's Gold.

His play is up and down. 

When it comes to extending him you need to judge him by what he offers - and he's better than a warm nobody - than by what he should have been. I think if he'd been a 5th round pick people would have been fairly unanimous in wanting him extended.

Also he may have played the most since he's been here of all our impending UFAs Hilarious

Dennard has played 72 games in the last 6 seasons
AJ has played 64 games over that period
Billings hasn't been here that long but has played 42 games in 4 years
Eifert has played 54 games in 7 years 
Redmond has played 23 games in 3 years
Trey has played 41 times in 6 seasons (not all injury related but he was on IR for a year and missed 4 games in 2017 when he was a starter)

Wynn has played twice this year and is now on IR
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 10:25 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Fair points, but, I am more comfortable with the Jonah Williams pick than I was with the Billy Price pick (which I didn't think was a terrible choice either at the time). One thing we have to think about is; Bush is doing pretty well in the Steelers system. That doesn't mean he would do well in the system we run. Not saying it would be difficult for him to be our best LB, but, he may not have thrived as much as he is with the Steelers. I did hear that Bush's level of play has dropped a bit after his first several weeks.

I hear ya, I'm just in Steeler country and most of my pals are Steelers fans and I remember sitting at BWW for our yearly draft day get together and my buddy was looking at his phone and was saying "It's rumored the Steelers are looking to trade up to 10" and I said something along the lines of well grand, the Steelers are probably going to take Bush...and they did.

It's not so much about the right pick or the wrong pick so much as I seem to spend the 1st round of the draft sitting there trying to convince myself that the more active teams picked the wrong guys and we were right to stand our ground and take the guy we did...that's all.  

I will say we all had a sense of humor about it. I made it known that the Bengals needed Bush for their god awful LB corps and when the Steelers traded up I put on my fandom hat and said that Bush wasn't that great. Then the Steelers took him and I was like "Oh, I'm glad the Bengals didn't take him...he's a bust, clearly." Then again, this notion that we needed or wanted to take Bush seems to be something people on this board think I'm misremembering and/or blowing out of proportion. I thought getting a great LB was a key move and part of the plan. Then again, our o-line is so bad and has been so bad for so long that we can just take o-line every time and it'll be "the best move" so ehh, who knows.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 10:53 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: 2018 the issue was evaluation. There were two Centers with 1st round grades (Ragnow and Daniels) and we took one with a second round grade (I know some had him higher but you can't convince me that a Center has a first round grade if nobody thinks he's got all-pro potential) - it may just be coincidental that he happened to play for Ohio State and would therefore sell season tickets.

We may have reached for a second round prospect in the first, but it was not a huge reach.  I don't recall the national media calling us out for it.   

But even if he was a second round prospect I wish he would at play like a second round prospect.  Maybe not a star, but at least a decent starter at either OG or OC.
Reply/Quote
BW Webb, if anyone ought to be benched it would have to be Webb, but Lou LOVES him some Webb for reasons only Lou knows and I doubt it has much to do with football. Maybe he just likes dreads.,.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 12:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya, I'm just in Steeler country and most of my pals are Steelers fans and I remember sitting at BWW for our yearly draft day get together and my buddy was looking at his phone and was saying "It's rumored the Steelers are looking to trade up to 10" and I said something along the lines of well grand, the Steelers are probably going to take Bush...and they did.

It's not so much about the right pick or the wrong pick so much as I seem to spend the 1st round of the draft sitting there trying to convince myself that the more active teams picked the wrong guys and we were right to stand our ground and take the guy we did...that's all.  

I will say we all had a sense of humor about it. I made it known that the Bengals needed Bush for their god awful LB corps and when the Steelers traded up I put on my fandom hat and said that Bush wasn't that great. Then the Steelers took him and I was like "Oh, I'm glad the Bengals didn't take him...he's a bust, clearly." Then again, this notion that we needed or wanted to take Bush seems to be something people on this board think I'm misremembering and/or blowing out of proportion. I thought getting a great LB was a key move and part of the plan. Then again, our o-line is so bad and has been so bad for so long that we can just take o-line every time and it'll be "the best move" so ehh, who knows.

You're remembering correctly... It was all about the Devins. Jonah Williams was supposed to be gone though. I think you always go LT over a LB anyway.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
We've had luck drafting form Wisconsin (Zeitler) and U of Georgia (Boling), maybe we should consider Tyler Biadasz (Wisconsin) for our 2nd round pick (assuming he is still there and there isn't an LB we like better) or Solomon Kindley (Georgia) in the fourth. That said, I absolutely agree the coaching is not and has not been getting it done.

Find the best offensive line coach in college and give him a job here. Alternately, if we still have the OC position open, find the best pro Offensive Line coach and offer to make him OC (but still fire Jim Turner -- he's awful). That said I was hoping we'd fill the OC position with Pat Shurmur (assuming he is let go after this season) or Jay Gruden again.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 01:21 PM)grampahol Wrote: BW Webb, if anyone ought to be benched it would have to be Webb, but Lou LOVES him some Webb for reasons only Lou knows and I doubt it has much to do with football. Maybe he just likes dreads.,.

Lou brought him here from the Giants. Which is why...I suspect that the coaches had atleast some say in these signings.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 10:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I believe the NFL has come out and said the problem is that none of the colleges are producing pro ready linemen, so there are very few to pick from. Price is a huge disappointment.

This has been known for years which means you have to scout the position better, pick more at the position then you used to and have better coaching - all to compensate for the issue. Of course the Inbreds have done. One of these 3. They are clueless
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
If at first you don't succeed......try try again

Price benched again...this time for Jordan

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Must say your boy bfine was battling traffic today and only got to listen to the game of Sirius (BTW, how do any of you like Lapham) but according to the calls MJ 6.0 looked good today filling in for this bust. Anybody watching the game got info
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I listened to the game and didn't hear Jordan's name but once and didn't even hear about Webb blowing play after play. Maybe they hired some homeless dudes to stand in and wear bengals uniforms.. Ya just never know anymore do ya?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote