Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Billy Price making things difficult
That is in a good way. Not sure what Hopkins contract situation is but Billy Price is finally making an impact on the oline. I could see Bengals bring Hopkins back slowly and with that it could open up the door big time for Price. To the point that Hopkins won’t get his job back. Obviously Hopkins is still valuable to the roster for him being able to backup all 3 interior line positions. We didn’t pick up Price’s option but maybe he’s finally figured it out with Pollack coaching. Figured it out enough that he could be the center of the future. One can hope.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 05:35 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: That is in a good way. Not sure what Hopkins contract situation is but Billy Price is finally making an impact on the oline. I could see Bengals bring Hopkins back slowly and with that it could open up the door big time for Price. To the point that Hopkins won’t get his job back. Obviously Hopkins is still valuable to the roster for him being able to backup all 3 interior line positions. We didn’t pick up Price’s option but maybe he’s finally figured it out with Pollack coaching. Figured it out enough that he could be the center of the future. One can hope.

Definitely a good problem to have. Might just be a nice solid backup player going forward.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 07:16 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Definitely a good problem to have. Might just be a nice solid backup player going forward.

I’m just not sure if he will be the backup. Hopkins is coming off an injury plus has been on the decline in resent years. Yes he’s been solid but if Price is better then he needs to play.
Reply/Quote
Hopkins has been cleared to play. Due to his experience level, they're sitting him out during the preseason. He's the projected starter, and I'd assume that's the way Pollack wants it..... meaning he's been the better player during camp. Price has looked better, that's for sure.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
.....also, for a good stretch there last season, Trey was PFFs best C in the AFC.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 07:34 AM)Wyche Wrote: Hopkins has been cleared to play. Due to his experience level, they're sitting him out during the preseason. He's the projected starter, and I'd assume that's the way Pollack wants it..... meaning he's been the better player during camp. Price has looked better, that's for sure.

Good post old friend.  How are you?  I agree Hopkins will be there day 1.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I’ve been one of Price’s biggest critics, and I’m a big fan of Hopkins (who I think some of our fans underrate), but Billy has impressed me a lot these last couple games. Between him and Jordan it’s truly astonishing to see the difference now that they have good coaching.

This is one of my favorite plays of the preseason so far…

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 08:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve been one of Price’s biggest critics, and I’m a big fan of Hopkins (who I think some of our fans underrate), but Billy has impressed me a lot these last couple games. Between him and Jordan it’s truly astonishing to see the difference now that they have good coaching.

Loved this play. Such a clean pocket against one of if not the best DLINE in football. All of our guys winning their battles.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 05:35 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: That is in a good way. Not sure what Hopkins contract situation is but Billy Price is finally making an impact on the oline. I could see Bengals bring Hopkins back slowly and with that it could open up the door big time for Price. To the point that Hopkins won’t get his job back. Obviously Hopkins is still valuable to the roster for him being able to backup all 3 interior line positions. We didn’t pick up Price’s option but maybe he’s finally figured it out with Pollack coaching. Figured it out enough that he could be the center of the future. One can hope.

NO, Hopkins IS the man, and he deserves his job back and WILL get his job back. Price on the other hand, is the back up if anything at all, he can find work in all 3 interior line positions.    No thank you.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 08:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve been one of Price’s biggest critics, and I’m a big fan of Hopkins (who I think some of our fans underrate), but Billy has impressed me a lot these last couple games. Between him and Jordan it’s truly astonishing to see the difference now that they have good coaching.

We haven't seen the OL execute like that in years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 10:42 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Loved this play. Such a clean pocket against one of if not the best DLINE in football. All of our guys winning their battles.

Pretty sweet, nothing to do, no threat... then help the guy next to you. I hope that was thanks to Pollack's teachings.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We haven't seen the OL execute like that in years.

What you didn't like Sloppy Fart standing doe eyed and statuesque, plus his only signature move of "oh no!" when the QB got killed?

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12979448]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

FWIW, Price scored a 56.0 overall rating at PFF for the Washington game.  That isn't as bad as it sounds when you break down the numbers:

He only played 11 snaps, 7 in pass protection, and 4 in run blocking.  His pass protection was a very encouraging 76.4.  This represents a massive improvement for him, and against a very strong defensive front.  His run blocking was a below average 52.2, which pulled down his overall score.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 07:16 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Definitely a good problem to have. Might just be a nice solid backup player going forward.

or potential trade bait? but not sure what "price" he would fetch ? Guessing no more then a 5th
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:38 AM)kalibengal Wrote: or potential trade bait? but not sure what "price" he would fetch ? Guessing no more then a 5th

I’m not even sure Price has any trade value. Up until this point he has been awful. Until he shows something, getting a 7th round value out of him should be considered a good deal IMO.
Reply/Quote
I believe Hopkins will be the starter as you should be but Price has played better for sure though we still need to improve run blocking still not getting the push we need .
Reply/Quote
Amazing what a difference Pollack makes…. Zac should be given 40 lashes for even bringing that incompetent shitstain Jim Turner in for an interview
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:40 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m not even sure Price has any trade value. Up until this point he has been awful. Until he shows something, getting a 7th round value out of him should be considered a good deal IMO.

I would call up the Bears and ask if they would go Billy Price for Nick Foles straight up. Bears want out of that contract badly and they cant cut him because it would cost them even more. The contract would be ALOT less for the Bengals and they could use a backup QB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 12:00 PM)Synric Wrote: I would call up the Bears and ask if they would go Billy Price for Nick Foles straight up. Bears want out of that contract badly and they cant cut him because it would cost them even more. The contract would be ALOT less for the Bengals and they could use a backup QB.
Solid idea;you definitely put your gm hat on for this one ?..FWIW I'm totally on board with this..
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 12:00 PM)Synric Wrote: I would call up the Bears and ask if they would go Billy Price for Nick Foles straight up. Bears want out of that contract badly and they cant cut him because it would cost them even more. The contract would be ALOT less for the Bengals and they could use a backup QB.

I don't disagree.  Allen isn't really a guy I trust yet if he ends up leading the offense for more than a game or to.  Given the situation with Burrow, which remains somewhat confusing until he takes live snaps, I'd like to see a more established backup in there.  

The only thing that would make me gun shy with any trade of o-linemen is the fact that no true starters have been established inside.  I want them to have the time they need to get the best 5 OL out there.  I also want to see how Hopkins holds up after the injury before I ship out a capable backup that we may very well need.  Hill would become the backup if Price were to be let go, and after Friday's performance, that's a hard no for me.  That guy just isn't ready yet.
Reply/Quote