Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Monday is Almost Here. Who Survives?
One of us has a better chance of getting fired on Monday than any of the coaches on the this staff do... Good luck fellas.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 08:17 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I don't think the Bengals will make too many quick decisions. They need coaches that are good at rebuilding a team. Starting with QB although Burrow is not a shoe in. Still a chance they focus on D and take Young. Then you need a defense coach. Knee jerk reactions will only get them in trouble.

No. They need coaches who will take less pay and also take on scouting duties. This team not not build or re-build it just meanders along making money for the Inbreds. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We should fire Zac and the rest of his clowns and make Simmons the head coach.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 04:20 PM)uticabengalfan Wrote: At first i didnt expect any change at all and tbh i still dont. But i noticed today during Zacs press conference he was asked his thought on the chances of coaching the senior bowl. He said something along the lines as to if he were able to get that chance. Could be just pure speculation or maybe hes under the gun from the front office

Mike Brown may start using "flushable wipes". other than that not much is expected
Reply/Quote
It wouldn't surprise me at all if there aren't any moves among the top level coaches. They may make a couple moves to the asst's. that's about it.
Reply/Quote
Unless we're drafting chase young, I don't see anarumo getting fired, and he's the most likely candidate.

Our defense isn't good. It wasn't good before he got here, and a big part of why it's not good is the talent on that side of the ball. If we fire anarumo and don't have someone to build around, we aren't attracting any coach who can put something together. Just about any coach will tell you their coaching only goes so far. End of the day, you've got to have quality players.

Unless we draft someone big or start throwing dollars at big name free agents, we aren't going to attract a good defensive coordinator.

I imagine we'll keep the staff as is through next season.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2019, 10:58 PM)samhain Wrote: IDK if I'd go as far as to say through next season.  If they are all brought back and continue to be awful, I think you see someone, maybe even Taylor, axed at the bye week.  

They are in a screwed up situation IMO.  They hired a new HC without committing to a rebuild.  They thought that they were going all in for a winning season with the remnants of the 2015 roster.  That's real dumb, but they repeatedly say that they believed they were a good team.  

Now they have a first overall pick and a likely vacancy at quarterback with the burden of a second year HC hanging around their necks.  What's worse is that he had the worst first year of any HC in franchise history.  Now they have to trust a guy that has demonstrated his ineptitude for a season.  Maybe they see this as growing pains for Zac.  The idea that he may not be the man for the job has to be nagging them at least a bit.  

If he is indeed what we've seen him as over the last season, then you're looking at having to fire a HC while developing a first overall pick franchise quarterback, ie the most important player on the team for the next decade.  Not ideal, really.  

The inbreds need to get this offseason right to avoid making this team into more of a shit show than it already is.  If that means firing Taylor and bringing in someone with experience to acclimate Burrow, then so be it.  Unlikely, though.

My guess is Zac is ok for a while, as long as he follows Marvin's lead of "the Bengals are a family business first,football team second."
Reply/Quote
I expect the Inbreds to be sound asleep on Black Monday, it is after all, very hard and exhausting running this shoe cobbler operation
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2019, 09:41 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Mike Brown may start using "flushable wipes". other than that not much is expected

The reusable, flushable wipes at that.. flushed into reusable toilet water..  Man! That's gotta smell great, huh?  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 10:34 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'm expecting that a grand total of 0 people will be fired.

Me too.

The defense has been improving the past few weeks outside of the Dolphins game. That will be the reason given for keeping Anarumo. 
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2019, 12:28 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2  Actually, I expect some team with a savvy GM to realize what a talent Simmons is and make him a Head Coach.

….which should've been done here... Help  

While I generally agree with the idea of Simmons I'd like to hear how he views the rest of the team and who he'd get rid of and who he might bring in. The worst thing that Simmons could do is get named HC with no changes and no power to implement change. A 0-16 season wouldn't do much for his career.. Talk about career suicide..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:58 PM)grampahol Wrote: While I generally agree with the idea of Simmons I'd like to hear how he views the rest of the team and who he'd get rid of and who he might bring in. The worst thing that Simmons could do is get named HC with no changes and no power to implement change. A 0-16 season wouldn't do much for his career.. Talk about career suicide..

WhoDey2  All perfectly fair questions. 

I would think that MB would give Simmons a lot more freedom and control on coaches and personnel simply because of Simmons' experience and time with the Bengals... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 03:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The end of the regular season is upon us which means December 30 is Black Monday, the day most NFL coaches are fired after an unsuccessful season.  After a 2-14 — or most likely 1-15 — record, which Cincinnati coaches will be retained?  Which will be let go?  I can’t visualize any scenario where all of the Bengals’ coaches survive Black Monday.  Even the most casual observer of the game can see the Bengals took a step backwards in every aspect of football except for special teams.  

If it were up to me I would poopcan every coach and coordinator with the exception of Darrin Simmons and his special teams staff.

The Bengals should also consider firing the GM.
Reply/Quote
So, no news, as of yet?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, no news, as of yet?

Haha... Surely you jest.

Sorry for calling you Shirley.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, no news, as of yet?

For winning 2 whole games this season each and every coach will get to drive the Lumina around the stadium for 3 minutes each...but they have to buy the gas and oil and use their own tires..

Reply/Quote
As hard as I've been on the coaches this year, I will say I've seen some improvement in almost every area from the start of the year.
Taylor called plays better.
Anarumo had a better defense.
Turner got the OL to block better.

Not all of this was just due to players coming back. In fact, many of these things improved with certain players being gone.
This coaching staff had the definition of a grooming season.
It would make sense if at least one was changed out, but it wouldn't surprise me to see all kept.
Now they just need to make the needed improvements to turn the improved metrics into wins for 2020.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 05:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As hard as I've been on the coaches this year, I will say I've seen some improvement in almost every area from the start of the year.
Taylor called plays better.
Anarumo had a better defense.
Turner got the OL to block better.

Not all of this was just due to players coming back. In fact, many of these things improved with certain players being gone.
This coaching staff had the definition of a grooming season.
It would make sense if at least one was changed out, but it wouldn't surprise me to see all kept.
Now they just need to make the needed improvements to turn the improved metrics into wins for 2020.

If they go the route of only changing out one (1) position coach, I lobby for it to be the DBs coach.  There are entirely too many top level athletic talents in the DBs room, for them be be looking as disconnected as they have.  Granted, they don't have a dominate personality like a Reggie Nelson, Adam Jones, Terrance Newman, Chris Crocker, etc., on this current team.  That is why they need a position coach who can inspire one of those guys that are on the team to step forward, and assume that role.

I guess that for years, we were spoiled by the on the field leadership demonstrated by intense personalities like Reggie Nelson, Vontaze Burfict, and Domata Peko, and just didn't realize some of the things they did that never showed up on any stat sheet.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 08:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they go the route of only changing out one (1) position coach, I lobby for it to be the DBs coach.  There are entirely too many top level athletic talents in the DBs room, for them be be looking as disconnected as they have.  Granted, they don't have a dominate personality like a Reggie Nelson, Adam Jones, Terrance Newman, Chris Crocker, etc., on this current team.  That is why they need a position coach who can inspire one of those guys that are on the team to step forward, and assume that role.

I guess that for years, we were spoiled by the on the field leadership demonstrated by intense personalities like Reggie Nelson, Vontaze Burfict, and Domata Peko, and just didn't realize some of the things they did that never showed up on any stat sheet.

I know the Joe Brady thing has been beaten to death but if they go Burrow bringing Brady in as the Quarterbacks Coach wouldn't be a bad idea. Nothing against Van Pelt I just believe it would be good for Burrow and helps Brady break into the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 08:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they go the route of only changing out one (1) position coach, I lobby for it to be the DBs coach.  There are entirely too many top level athletic talents in the DBs room, for them be be looking as disconnected as they have.  Granted, they don't have a dominate personality like a Reggie Nelson, Adam Jones, Terrance Newman, Chris Crocker, etc., on this current team.  That is why they need a position coach who can inspire one of those guys that are on the team to step forward, and assume that role.

That's both sides of the ball... Mixon is the closest thing we have to a vocal leader, and that's important. 5 years ago we had several of them... Peko, Whit, Newman, Pacman, Tez. Granted the last 2 were loose cannons, but still... We don't have that right now, and it shows.

Hopefully Burrow has it in him to be that. I remember reading that when Andrew Luck took the field for the first time in the preseason, the first words outta his mouth in the huddle were "Everybody shut the **** up...". He then threw a TD on his first snap. We need that.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote