Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Sunday
(11-26-2018, 04:28 PM)jj22 Wrote: Same thing Hitler did to the Jews.

Before he began to gas them.

You lost me here.

Are you suggesting Trump is going to gas rich people?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-26-2018, 04:53 PM)Benton Wrote: With which group? The ones he separated or the caravan?

Personally, I think the answer is that both were political stunts. Trump has no problem with chain migration and hiring migrant workers ... except when he's on Twitter complaining about chain migration and migrant workers.

The caravan. he made it known he was increasing the security at the border and anyone in the caravan that could count should have been able to figure out this mass of folks may cause a delay.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-26-2018, 04:54 PM)Benton Wrote: You lost me here.

Are you suggesting Trump is going to gas rich people?

No, just that if you know the history of the rise of the Nazi's they did the same thing to the Jews.

Blamed them for the economy (when the bad economy came from WWI debt).

Claimed they were taking over the nation.

Blamed them for taking German jobs etc.

I read Schindlers list last year (and I love the AHC, which shows the rise of Hitler over and over), and the similarities are scary. Even if nothing on that level will ever happen again (we hope).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(11-26-2018, 05:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: No, just that if you know the history of the rise of the Nazi's they did the same thing to the Jews.

I read Schindlers list last year (and I love the AHC, which shows the rise of Hitler over and over), and the similarities are scary. Even if nothing like that will ever happen again.

Always tough to draw correlations to something like that because we know where it ended. There can be similarities, which there are a lot, but it's easy to lose people when you bring it up because they go straight 0 to 100.
(11-26-2018, 05:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: Always tough to draw correlations to something like that because we know where it ended. There can be similarities, which there are a lot, but it's easy to lose people when you bring it up because they go straight 0 to 100.

If you compare something to Nazi Germany, your intention is to go 0-100.  What would be the point of comparing them otherwise?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-26-2018, 05:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If you compare something to Nazi Germany, your intention is to go 0-100.  What would be the point of comparing them otherwise?  

A moment to reflect on History.

WWII and Nazi Germany were bad times in World History, but so much can be learned from how a man (Hitler), came to have such power, and how his supporters allowed for so much to happen under their noses.

But ignorance is bliss, and people don't really care to educate themselves or study history, so of course they see Hitler and automatically go from 0-100. As a history and military geek, when I hear Hitler I think of all the lessons we can learn from the moment in history.

(11-26-2018, 05:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: A moment to reflect on History.

WWII and Nazi Germany were bad times, but so much can be learned from how a man (Hitler), came to have such power.

But ignorance is bliss, and people don't really care to educate themselves or study history.

Yes I know you read Schindler's List and I read Inside the Third Reich. Then I read it a second time.

So when it doesn't happen, what will have been your point?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-26-2018, 05:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If you compare something to Nazi Germany, your intention is to go 0-100.  What would be the point of comparing them otherwise?  

To show that there is a playbook for a power grab using a class as the antithesis to national values. The issue is there is an perceived insinuation that it leads to extermination rather than simply ruling through fear mongering. It's a conversation that can be had in person but much harder to do on a message board where tone and follow up are limited. 

....just a reminder I wasn't the one who made the comparison Ha.
Read this and thought it was interesting...

"in fiscal year 2018, Customs and Border Protection processed 1.25 million fewer people arriving at the southern border than in fiscal year 2000, despite having a budget and staff that has doubled since then"

Also interesting....

"The Department of Justice reported that 89 percent of asylum seekers appeared for their hearings in 2017."
(11-26-2018, 05:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yes I know you read Schindler's List and I read Inside the Third Reich.  Then I read it a second time.  

So when it doesn't happen, what will have been your point?

It means nothing as we can still learn lessons from history...

That was a thoughtless and mindless way to look at History.

But good read, and so I have to question why are you acting shocked about the similarities?

Maybe it's been awhile since you read and re-read it.

(11-26-2018, 05:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: It means nothing as we can still learn lessons from history...

This is a thoughtless and mindless way to look at History.

No thoughtless and mindless is trying to draw parallels that don't exist because you read a book.  Oh look he's talking bad about some people and so did Hitler.  

How are you learning from history if you yourself don't think it's going to happen.

Ok. I don't think you've read Inside the Third Reich. If you had. this topic wouldn't be such a shock to you.

Nice try tho.

You want to talk about ITR? I'm willing to talk about it.

(11-26-2018, 04:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have zero idea. But it doesn't change the simple fact that you cannot enter this country illegally. 

Surrendering at the border to seek asylum is not entering the country illegally.

So since you have no idea how many have sought asylum how do you know how many are trying to enter illegally?
(11-26-2018, 05:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ok. I don't think you've read Inside the Third Reich. If you had. this topic wouldn't be such a shock to you.

Nice try tho.

You want to talk about ITR? I'm willing to talk about it.

I'm not all that concerned whether or not you believe.  I'm not shocked in the least.  In fact it's very expected.  Remember Bushitler? it's in the urban dictionary.

Let's start over. What is the lesson you want us to learn?

(11-26-2018, 05:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Surrendering at the border to seek asylum is not entering the country illegally.

So since you have no idea how many have sought asylum how do you know how many are trying to enter illegally?

I have said nothing about numbers trying to enter illegally. Much like Dill, you really don't need me to have this conversation do you? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-26-2018, 05:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not all that concerned whether or not you believe.  I'm not shocked in the least.  In fact it's very expected.  Remember Bushitler?

Let's start over.  What is the lesson you want us to learn?

Honestly no. I may need to reread it.

The lesson is degrading a minority group of people and blaming them for economic woes is often used by Dictators (and wanabe Dictators in Trumps case) in their attempts to purify their Nation, and should be viewed with such knowledge since it's been in their playbook for ages. As we saw in the most known case that people can relate to (Hitler).

(11-26-2018, 01:26 PM)Benton Wrote: Seriously, though, this is why Trump is a dangerous liability. He treats foreign policy like he treats women. As a guy with multiple ex-wives and allegedly millions paid to mistresses, that's not a good thing.

The gas and the caravan could have been avoided with a better relationship with Mexico. We could've handled it like we have other large migration groups in the past, with a mix of diplomacy and security. We talk to our southern allies, find somewhere for the people to go and then make sure they make it there. This isn't the first time America has had to deal with migration chunks. It's not like we used to shoot the rafts out from under the Cubans or play whack-a-mole with Mexicans coming out of tunnels.

To the first point--Hilarious Hilarious  Nail on the head.

One problem with your last point, though, is it overlooks how important manufactured drama is to maintaining the Trump base. Handling this situation like we have other migration groups in the past could have lowered Republican turn out--in part because Trump's base disagrees with a "mix of diplomacy and security" and in part because they don't respond to non-threats. Unlikely Trump would ever pick you as an advisor.
(11-26-2018, 05:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: Honestly no. I may need to reread it.

The lesson is degrading a minority group of people and blaming them for economic woes is often used by Dictators (and wanabe Dictators in Trumps case) in their attempts to purify their Nation, and should be viewed with such knowledge since it's been in their playbook for ages. As we saw in the most known case that people can relate to (Hitler).

I'm not sure what honestly no I may need to reread it is referring to..  

Let's say Trump wants to be dictator and run the country with an iron fist.  The thing is, he can't.  He's gone in hopefully two years, and at the most six, and there's nothing he can do about it.  

(11-26-2018, 05:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: No, just that if you know the history of the rise of the Nazi's they did the same thing to the Jews.

I read Schindlers list last year (and I love the AHC, which shows the rise of Hitler over and over), and the similarities are scary. Even if nothing on that level will ever happen again (we hope).

What a thoroughly shallow assessment of the situation, about what I'd expect from a guy who's read one book on the subject.  Let's look at huge differences between the two situations.

Germany, just defeated in a ~five year long war that killed a huge number of young men.  USA, not so much.

Germany, suffering under war reparations that made economic recovery difficult to impossible.  USA, not so much.

Germany, deals with the worst economic depression in modern history, possibly ever.  USA, not so much.

Germany, no history of democratic or representative government, instead a long history of authoritarian and militaristic regimes.  USA, not so much.

Germany, autocratic chancellor appointed to position by politician desperate to hold on to power.  USA, lawfully elected POTUS same as every other.

Germany, large scale political violence between two equally violent factions (NSDAP and Communists) is commonplace.  USA, not so much.

Stick to spouting talking points or wait for BallsofSteel to get unbant, because this effort on your part is embarrassing.
Obama Administration pepper sprays a mob trying to rush the border in 2013: ...Crickets

Trump Administration tear gases a mob about 6-7 times bigger trying to rush the border in 2018: Assad!! HITLERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Obama sends troops to secure the border in 2010: ...Crickets

Trump sends troops to secure the border in 2018: FACIST! Political ploy! HITLERRRRR!!!!!!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would really love some consistency in the outrage reactions going on here.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]