Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blame the run game
(11-26-2023, 06:55 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: It doesn't help that Mixon did little to nothing with those limited carries as well. Dude took a paycut and I feel like we're still getting fleeced.

This. 2 YPC? Isn't he among the league's worse in yards after contact? He's not getting it done. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:35 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: thats this organization's fault. From the front office all the way to Zac. They really love Mixon's "home run" abilty, even though he's been garbage, and Perine was more consistent. 

it's like they owed loyalty to Mixon for whatever reason. Plus Perine is a class act, while Mixon is a POS

Is Mixon faster than Perine? Yea.

But in what world has anyone who has watched Mixon (at least in the past few years) considered him to have "home run" ability?

Dude isn't overly fast nor agile, and he heavily depends on his blocking to get any big gain.

With the blocking the way it has been, they really need a speed guy, even if he's smaller.
Someone who can get some yards without such heavy reliance on the OL all the time.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Is Mixon faster than Perine? Yea.

But in what world has anyone who has watched Mixon (at least in the past few years) considered him to have "home run" ability?

Dude isn't overly fast nor agile, and he heavily depends on his blocking to get any big gain.

With the blocking the way it has been, they really need a speed guy, even if he's smaller.
Someone who can get some yards without such heavy reliance on the OL all the time.

Mixon being faster than Perine shouldn’t matter. That’s the point. We know who’s better. It’s Perine. Perine did a fantastic job as the starter when Mixon was injured last year. Mixon outside of Carolina was just plain old trash

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
My point wasn't that we should throw more passes to Mixon it was to point out the silliness of pointing out an avg on a small sample size. Although Mixon and the other RBs should be more involved in the passing game.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:06 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: My point wasn't that we should throw more passes to Mixon it was to point out the silliness of pointing out an avg on a small sample size. Although Mixon and the other RBs should be more involved in the passing game.

Small sample size? Mixon has been bad for a while now

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Small sample size? Mixon has been bad for a while now

Before this game he avg 4 yards a carry. For those of you wondering 4 yards a carry is good. I'm not saying Mixon doesn't have his faults or that I don't agree that we need a more dynamic runner in house with homerun speed. But we never make the run game a point of emphasis and it'll be hard for any running back to be consistent with those conditions. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:13 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Before this game he avg 4 yards a carry. For those of you wondering 4 yards a carry is good. I'm not saying Mixon doesn't have his faults or that I don't agree that we need a more dynamic runner in house with homerun speed. But we never make the run game a point of emphasis and it'll be hard for any running back to be consistent with those conditions. 

4 yards per carry is bad. 4ypc is always bottom 10. Catch up with the times

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 4 yards per carry is bad. 4ypc is always bottom 10. Catch up with the times

4 yards a carry is not bad. There are no times to catch up with. Did they recently make it longer than 10yds to get a 1st down or something that I missed.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:21 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: 4 yards a carry is not bad. There are no times to catch up with. Did they recently make it longer than 10yds to get a 1st down or something that I missed.

4 yards a carry is bad. Look at team averages the last 2 years. Bottom 10

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:21 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: 4 yards a carry is not bad. There are no times to catch up with. Did they recently make it longer than 10yds to get a 1st down or something that I missed.

4 yard per carry is far from "good" in this day and age.  The Bengals currently as a team are dead last in rushing yardage from scrimmage and tied for 5th worst in yards per carry at 3.8.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 10:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And they need to be seeing what they have in these guys before the draft rolls around. They probably tag Tee, but they’ll need a Boyd replacement at the very least.

Wr coming out of college have the most upside anymore and will be a good amount of quality in 2nd round , I think be best to trade Tee, we will need some extra picks to rebuild on boths sides of the ball, save some $$ on Tee sign a gap fill free agent for a year to replace Boyd and use the extra picks for a 2nd round WR .
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:24 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 4 yards a carry is bad. Look at team averages the last 2 years. Bottom 10

I still think personally 4 yards a carry is good. But I'll admit it does put a team towards the bottom. Perhaps that's our problem is we don't use any other RBs or aren't creative/successful when running other personnel. Samaji for example who you said ran well last year (which I agree with) was 4.1 ypc.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 4 yard per carry is far from "good" in this day and age.  The Bengals currently as a team are dead last in rushing yardage from scrimmage and tied for 5th worst in yards per carry at 3.8.

3.8 is not 4. I know that seems like a silly argument but the difference between 4 and 4.3 or 4.4 is big and we might get that if we actually had a team philosophy of we are going to run the ball and do it well.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:41 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I still think personally 4 yards a carry is good. But I'll admit it does put a team towards the bottom. Perhaps that's our problem is we don't use any other RBs or aren't creative/successful when running other personnel. Samaji for example who you said ran well last year (which I agree with) was 4.1 ypc.

Perine was 4.1 ypc last year, and the team’s average was 3.9

He was the best RB on the team.

Go ahead and think 4ypc is good, you’re objectively incorrect. It’s bad

This isn’t Eddie George and the 2002 titans. It’s a different league

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:43 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: 3.8 is not 4. I know that seems like a silly argument but the difference between 4 and 4.3 or 4.4 is big and we might get that if we actually had a team philosophy of we are going to run the ball and do it well.

3.8 is horrible, only the 10 WORST rushing teams are averaging 4.0 or less per carry.  Every team in the top 15 is averaging 4.3 or better.  Half a yard per carry is a huge difference in the big picture.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Zac was asked about the run game yesterday. He framed his response about the poor run game within the context of just the Steelers game:

Quote:That's life versus Pittsburgh. You know that's what's going to happen, it's going to be tough. When you run the ball, we need to get more production out of that. It takes the pressure off the pass game. That's what they rely on, taking off the run. We've got to do a better job managing the drives as we go and put ourselves in a little bit more advantageous situations. If you can put yourself in a situation where you call more runs and you're not at second and 10, second and long, third and longer, you get more runs off, and eventually some of those runs start to get you bigger gains. We didn't get an opportunity get enough runs off.

He also doesn't view it as just a Mixon problem:

Quote:This has nothing to do with Joe Mixon. This is the entirety of the unit coming together. Don't make this about one person. It's not like there was missed opportunities there from what I could see. He continues to run hard and he's given us what we needed this season.

I'd love to know the entirety of his thoughts about the run game that he'll not share with the media. I wonder how he feels about his coaches, scheme, players, on-field execution and the such.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Perine was 4.1 ypc last year, and the team’s average was 3.9

He was the best RB on the team.

Go ahead and think 4ypc is good, you’re objectively incorrect. It’s bad

This isn’t Eddie George and the 2002 titans. It’s a different league

I get what the stats say about where it puts them in league rankings. But your only trying to get 10yds for a 1st down. Why 4yds a carry is bad and what it truly reflects is not getting the big explosive to the house runs. Yes we haven't got those those it's hurting our overall avg. I'll take 4yds a carry every single time and never leave the field. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 02:08 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I get what the stats say about where it puts them in league rankings. But your only trying to get 10yds for a 1st down. Why 4yds a carry is bad and what it truly reflects is not getting the big explosive to the house runs. Yes we haven't got those those it's hurting our overall avg. I'll take 4yds a carry every single time and never leave the field. 

No team actually averages their ypc every run. You have to average 4.3 and above on the season

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 3.8 is horrible, only the 10 WORST rushing teams are averaging 4.0 or less per carry.  Every team in the top 15 is averaging 4.3 or better.  Half a yard per carry is a huge difference in the big picture.

I didn't say 3.8 wasn't bad. I said 4 was good. Maybe it's a baseline. But the difference between 4 and 4.3 is achievable if we make the run game a point of emphasis. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 02:12 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I didn't say 3.8 wasn't bad. I said 4 was good. Maybe it's a baseline. But the difference between 4 and 4.3 is achievable if we make the run game a point of emphasis. 

As already pointed out, "improving" to 4.0 ypc only gets the team to 10th worst in the league.  Still far, very far from "good".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote