Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blame the run game
(11-26-2023, 07:25 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I get pointing at the fact of 2 yards a carry. But it's too limited a sample and why do we refuse to try another back? No Chase Brown or Williams. Also wad Mixons 1 target the screen at the end? I just have to say with Zacs track record is our refusal to focus on the run game hurting it. Sure seems like we never want to focus on it.

I was yelling at the TV all day for a screen pass as the Pitt DLine wasn't even pretending to play the run.  All they were doing was rushing up field on every play.  Ridiculous it took until the last drive to do it.  What the hell are these inept offensive coaches doing!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 09:10 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I was yelling at the TV all day for a screen pass as the Pitt DLine wasn't even pretending to play the run.  All they were doing was rushing up field on every play.  Ridiculous it took until the last drive to do it.  What the hell are these inept offensive coaches doing!

Throwing the inexperienced backup QB out there in shotgun, 11 personnel every play will definitely cause things like that to happen.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It’s like they did nothing to account for the slight drop off from Joe to Jake.

(11-27-2023, 09:15 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Throwing the inexperienced backup QB out there in shotgun, 11 personnel every play will definitely cause things like that to happen.

Honestly if someone told me this message board set up the game plan for the Steelers I wouldn't be surprised. The run game was straight vertical undercenter with a 6th offensive line who was also in there to max protect for the play action.. Steelers filled the A&B gaps clouded bumped Chase. hey were also driving on any under route in Chases's route combination.

Thr offense was exactly what people were screaming for all year lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 09:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some of us were asking for this, even before Burrow went down with the injury.  This cult like adherence to the shotgun, 11 personnel formation is really making the team so one dimensional to defend.  If it wasn't exactly blowing teams away with Joe Burrow leading the charge, what in the hell would make Zac Taylor believe that it was the right situation to throw Jake Browning into?

Many around here want to look at the individual failure of players and the OL as a unit, and say that they need to be replace with better players.  Well, they did that.  Those players aren't even able to play up to levels that they had established with their previous teams.  It's so much less about the personnel on the field, than it is so much more about the scheme, play calling and coaching failing to change and adapt to ever evolving defenses.

Exactly.  This team would be better off running a high school offense right now.  Let these guys just get back to basics and play some good old fashioned power football.  Zac Taylors excuses for not being able to run against the Steelers were pathetic.  They're like 23rd or 24th right?  But he put them in a pedestal and said, "That's life vs Pittsburgh." That's just terrible. 

We got a serious problem here and everytime they showed Burrow yesterday, you could really see it in his face as well.
Makes me wonder about Burrows 5 year deal and if the length of it was built with an escape hatch. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 09:20 AM)Synric Wrote: Honestly if someone told me this message board set up the game plan for the Steelers I wouldn't be surprised. The run game was straight vertical undercenter with a 6th offensive line who was also in there to max protect for the play action.. Steelers filled the A&B gaps clouded bumped Chase. hey were also driving on any under route in Chases's route combination.

I missed a good portion of the 1st half as I was at a family gathering, however from what I did see, Mixon had at least 3 carries from the shotgun that were disastrous.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 09:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I missed a good portion of the 1st half as I was at a family gathering, however from what I did see, Mixon had at least 3 carries from the shotgun that were disastrous.

The shotgun runs were the good runs on the day. The under center offense on the day lost yards as a whole because they were sacked twice on play action and Joe was still stuffed up. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Pretty easy to game plan when the only real run game is running for the locker room after the game..Oh well. At least they're not going to have the 32nd pick in the draft.. I'd even bet money on that..but knowing my luck the rest of the games for the rest of the season the rest of the teams in the league would completely collapse and I'd lose the stinking bet..Not that I'm pessimistic or anything..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I’m starting to think Zac devalues the run and/or feels like certain passes essentially are runs because 8 rushes and 30 passes with a backup QB is trash
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:51 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Bengals need to learn how to win with their defense and running game alone. If they can do this we will have more ways we can win as a team. A lot of afc north games are won with defense and running game, as well as bad weather and late season games.

In other words going into this season, this team was not built to win the the Super Bowl. And as I have said before, the only real chance this team had to to make a Super Bowl run was for everyone, mainly the key starters, to remain healthy. Otherwise it would be like the old game Jenga and it comes crashing down pretty quick without a run game and an iffy defense.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 09:20 AM)Synric Wrote: Honestly if someone told me this message board set up the game plan for the Steelers I wouldn't be surprised. The run game was straight vertical undercenter with a 6th offensive line who was also in there to max protect for the play action.. Steelers filled the A&B gaps clouded bumped Chase. hey were also driving on any under route in Chases's route combination.

People are more concerned about the offense looking how they want it to look and the drafting philosophy being how they think it should be than they are about winning football games.
Reply/Quote
The run game is an all around disaster: Zac doesn't embrace it, our run-game coordinator (Frank Pollack) doesn't appear to do anything spectacular, RB1's (Mixon) best years are behind him, and RB2+ aren't producing.
Reply/Quote
I believe it was Joe Goodberry yesterday who tweeted the Bengals are still trying to run the Joe Burrow offense.
The challenge for them will be how do they adjust the playcalling enough now that Burrow is not in.
Until that happens, we'll continue to see the offense sputter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I believe it was Joe Goodberry yesterday who tweeted the Bengals are still trying to run the Joe Burrow offense.
The challenge for them will be how do they adjust the playcalling enough now that Burrow is not in.
Until that happens, we'll continue to see the offense sputter.
"We have the utmost confidence in Jake." ~ Zac Taylor  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
They also miss Samaje Perine.

Note what ESPN said in their write up today of Samaje:

"Stock up after the win: RB Samaje Perine. He rushed for 55 yards on seven carries while emerging as a reliable option in the passing game. He has also consistently been the best back the Broncos have in pass protection."
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:16 AM)Nepa Wrote: They also miss Samaje Perine.  

Note what ESPN said in their write up today of Samaje:

"Stock up after the win: RB Samaje Perine. He rushed for 55 yards on seven carries while emerging as a reliable option in the passing game. He has also consistently been the best back the Broncos have in pass protection."

They tried to keep him but Perine indicated he liked the playing time possibilities in Denver.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:31 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: They tried to keep him but Perine indicated he liked the playing time possibilities in Denver.

thats this organization's fault. From the front office all the way to Zac. They really love Mixon's "home run" abilty, even though he's been garbage, and Perine was more consistent. 

it's like they owed loyalty to Mixon for whatever reason. Plus Perine is a class act, while Mixon is a POS

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:31 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: They tried to keep him but Perine indicated he liked the playing time possibilities in Denver.

Yet there he is, still a RB2..  Given that the team likely knew that they were going to force Mixon into a salary reduction, one would have thought that they could have assured Perine that he would get a greater percentage of touches on a regular basis.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yet there he is, still a RB2..  Given that the team likely knew that they were going to force Mixon into a salary reduction, one would have thought that they could have assured Perine that he would get a greater percentage of touches on a regular basis.  

it makes no sense. This team truly bungled the handling of Perine. No idea why they're so loyal to Mixon

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 08:11 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well he had he avg. 22yds a catch so obviously we weren't throwing to him enough. Hopefully this let's you see how silly your logic is on that one. The problem with throwing 80% of the time is we get our QB hurt.

Well, 22 yds a "catch" is not running the ball is it? You are proving my point. If you like Mixon's receiving skills then put him at WR. Your logic is beyond silly. You want to throw more passes to Mixon and yet have a problem with throwing more passes? Make up your mind.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yet there he is, still a RB2..  Given that the team likely knew that they were going to force Mixon into a salary reduction, one would have thought that they could have assured Perine that he would get a greater percentage of touches on a regular basis.  

Yes, I too notice Perine is in the same role in Denver that he had with the Bengals. The conversations that took place between Perine and the two organizations during FA would be interesting to know.
Reply/Quote